Game-Labs Forum

Pirates: and the people who hunt them

IronFoote

There are only two constants in Naval Action,  the perpetual fear of a server reset, and bitter, unyielding hatred for the Pirate Faction. I hesitate to call it a faction or nation, more of a coalition of independent player “clans” that fight together or in some cases, each other, with roaming independent pirate captains caught in between. Gracefully dodging the whirlwind of war and venom that broils around any pirate port or fleet. How can a nation make a peace treaty with an idea? The idea of piracy  certainly takes on a different meaning in Naval Action, surrounded by massive fleets of players  wanting your destruction the sense of a pirates freedom seems hindered. Any navy need not justification for invasion of the pirates that may otherwise be required when taking on another nation of similar proportions. To the national navies they are stamping out criminals and degenerates that prey on the weak and innocent, for the pirates its a life of individuality, a personal venture into a hostile world where one can say it was I, not the nation that succeeded and ones achievements are there own. In that sense there is a freedom that pirates can enjoy, the knowledge that yes they do fly a black flag, but it is a flag of their individuality. They can distinguish themselves and stand out from the crowd unlike the scores of navy fleets where the little guy is of no consequence compared to the larger and more powerful clans with hundreds of members. I do not know what the future holds for the pirates, the seemingly unstoppable US and British fleets are suffocating not just the pirates but nations like the Spanish as well, laughing as they pose outside Moritmer Town like demented hunters with an exotic catch. But to the small band that recruited me to be their Diplomat, I always strive to help the little guy, to encourage relationships that are beneficial to both (basically my job description) and maintain the element of freedom for all to enjoy clan or otherwise. If you too share the drive for individuality and freedom of the seas, than you’ll have a friend in this pirate.

-IronFoote

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/user/20444-ironfoote/

• Like 2

Pirates are and will be useful as irregular mercenaries when times of need arise from the Nations. They enjoy both sides of the same coin, no allegiance and no protection.

Absolutely! The Ideal scenario for any pirate clan is to have contracts with multiple nations and be able to pick and choose which is more beneficial to them. Though I'm not exactly sure how nations could pay them. :P

Absolutely! The Ideal scenario for any pirate clan is to have contracts with multiple nations and be able to pick and choose which is more beneficial to them. Though I'm not exactly sure how nations could pay them. :P

Blueprints, resources, stacks of upgrades, ships, ports, gold, and RUM, LOTS AND LOTS OF RUM!

I see endless possibilities  B)

On a "per crew" ship basis would do... after the job is done...if you survive... :D

Proper mercenary privateer companies might be more needed in the near future than one might think.

Would defer attention of a share of national fleets numbers to additional PBs and deliver part of the load of screening to those mercenaries...

The only reason the pirates don't act like pirates is......they don't act like pirates.  Taking territory? trading? Piracy is a viable option with the current game mechanics, pirates just don't realize or want to do it.  All this crying about "pirates can't be pirates" is truly a load of BS.  You can, you just would rather do empire building instead.  

Piracy is a lot of fun, just ask anyone one PVP2 on France.  We used piracy to defeat the pirates.  We recognized where their trade routes were and where they would run missions, and we would form combat patrols of 2 to 4 ships and patrol those waters.  Then if one of them raised the alarm, and called in a fleet that outnumbered and outclassed us significantly, then we broke off, reforming the group somewhere else and did combat patrols in different waters, leaving their ships stuck patrolling their own waters for fear we would come back.  Rinse, Repeat, Victory. France did this with no ports and fewer numbers, and as you can read from the forums, it took less than 1 week for the pirates to admit defeat after they already declared victory over France. 

• Like 1

If all it takes is acting like one, then there is no need to name a faction after them.

the label is handy because it allows like-minded players to more easily find one another.

but yes, having a pirate "nation" with nation-like port ownership mechanics makes little sense.  blocking pirate access to neutral ports makes even less sense in that context.

If all it takes is acting like one, then there is no need to name a faction after them.

There is.  A true pirate, acts "pirately" towards everyone.  Nations can pirate other nations, yes, and historically that is how America was able to fight the British, and how the British fought the Spanish, and how the French fought the British.  But the whole idea of a pirate nation was to allow them to be pirates to everyone, not become another nation.  Snow is correct that pirates should have access to neutral ports, that is a disadvantage, but pirate also have the advantage of attacking their own, which other nations do not, that is an advantage (all-be-it not the best advantage).

Edited by Arbour

The only reason the pirates don't act like pirates is......they don't act like pirates. Taking territory? trading? Piracy is a viable option with the current game mechanics, pirates just don't realize or want to do it. All this crying about "pirates can't be pirates" is truly a load of BS. You can, you just would rather do empire building instead.

Wrong, completely wrong. The mechanics do not favor it at all. Picking off enemy player traders is difficult and dangerous, and the payoff isn't worth it. Doing the same thing to NPC traders gets boring fast

• Like 2

There is.  A true pirate, acts "pirately" towards everyone.  Nations can pirate other nations, yes, and historically that is how America was able to fight the British, and how the British fought the Spanish, and how the French fought the British.  But the whole idea of a pirate nation was to allow them to be pirates to everyone, not become another nation.  Snow is correct that pirates should have access to neutral ports, that is a disadvantage, but pirate also have the advantage of attacking their own, which other nations do not, that is an advantage (all-be-it not the best advantage).

There is about zero value in that advantage. Its more of a liability than anything really.

Wrong, completely wrong. The mechanics do not favor it at all. Picking off enemy player traders is difficult and dangerous, and the payoff isn't worth it. Doing the same thing to NPC traders gets boring fast

Then how have the French defeated the "pirates" in the SE on PvP2 with almost no ports and lesser numbers?  I have taken several player traders myself, it is neither difficult nor dangerous.  In fact it is the same as taking a NPC trader except their hold is FULL of iron instead of a handful of random resources, so it is totally worth it.  You just have to have the right ship and know where to look for them....like a true pirate.  I swear if you guys sat down, thought about pirate tactics intelligently, and then tried them out in game, you would have success.  

Edited by Arbour

Then how have the French defeated the "pirates" in the SE on PvP2 with almost no ports and lesser numbers?  I have taken several player traders myself, it is neither difficult nor dangerous.  In fact it is the same as taking a NPC trader except their hold is FULL of iron instead of a handful of random resources, so it is totally worth it.  You just have to have the right ship and know where to look for them....like a true pirate.  I swear if you guys sat down, thought about pirate tactics intelligently, and then tried them out in game, you would have success.

That's the thing, when we gank player traders of other nations all they have is 1 unit of whatever they were carrying. Either we ganked a bunch of master trolls or there is something skewed that makes other nations better pirates than actual pirates. Given all the bad maluses we have I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended.

Well are you attacking them as they leave a free port starting their trading run? or are you hiding near a resources heavy port waiting for them to leave?  Again, intelligently think about it. Have you tried positioning yourself between an iron port and a capital and only attack the ones going back to capital?

Edited by Arbour

That's the thing, when we gank player traders of other nations all they have is 1 unit of whatever they were carrying. Either we ganked a bunch of master trolls or there is something skewed that makes other nations better pirates than actual pirates.

There are master trolls out there. Their are a bunch of French Traders that always carry 1 coal when they are empty just as a joke.

Their are plenty of things one can do to set up to hit traders. You will figure them out eventually. I see no reason to share said strategies however.