Game-Labs Forum

77 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• I like this idea
    • I dislike this idea
    • I have a better idea (see below)

I know the topic has sailed (lol ship puns) but the whole time compression thing still bothers me. At the moment the only way to actually sail the ship is to enter combat. While combat is fun I would really like to explore and sail around on my own... which is why I would like to suggest adding some sort of compression-less free roam for singleplayer. You can't buy or sell things just enjoy the feeling of sailing.

Edited by B24LIBERATOR
  • Like 1

So an 'offline' mode? I'm not sure how feasible that would be. For my part, Naval Action is one of the smallest downloads I've had to endure in my gaming history - I think a lot of that is in part due to the fact that most of it's online content. I'd be interested to see if this is possible, but I'm cautiously pessimistic about it (to reverse the phrase.) Maybe closer to release? Maybe

I just think a separate hardcore server is more viable for those (me included) who enjoy the real time sailing. Many people always say to me 'you do realize how long that would take?' and to be honest i dont care if it takes me weeks or months to get across the map. I am playing this game for the realism

• Like 3

That was my point, there's people out there that play flight sims and fly for hours (I remember MSFS had the mission where you flew Lindbergh's plane trans-Atlantic for god knows how long.) I play Railworks which can have missions that can span hours.

I got into this game for the sailing thinking that OW was going to just be a bigger place to sail around in, and I was wrong. Not to say the game isn't fun but it could be a lot more fun.

• Like 1

I can understand your feeling about time compression. I had it before spending lots of time sailing around the Caribbean.

Now I sometimes find battle speed... too slow. No kidding. 

However, in NA :

- captains' tasks are mainly fighting, trading or exploring ; not just sailing, 

- OW is primarily made to reach your destination in order to do one of these tasks, to meet opponents at random or discover ports or lands. That's why time compression is needed.

It was not made to simulate sailing. It "lacks" too many sailing features for that because NA wasn't made as a sail simulator. 

Realtime speed would only be interesting (for sim fans only) if one had to manage all the sailing and navigating as IRL, that is if you had lots of things to do while in OW. But it's not NA definition not its gameplay.

Just my opinion  :).

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

I get where Boiteux is coming from. Also NA doesnt have an overly large player base, even after full steam release it still might not have which means that sailing real time and meeting another player at random will be close to impossible. AI will become 3/4 of the game.

Perhaps it could be instanced like the battles, especially relative to the exploration game play. Sailing around land one could enter an instance to explore bays, coves, inlets, and estuaries. I would suggest this enhancement be left to after release or it could result in further delay.

• Like 1

I think you are correct:

The ship has sailed - this topic is covered in other threads.

It seems very clear that the admins consider players who do not want to fight "outside" NAs target audience.

NA is for competitive gamers first. If there is opportunity to develop a realistic open world without impacting the battles then we can enjoy some realism.

It is a very beautiful game. It seems that development will not favor immersion. Navigation and sailing is not a priority. Although I wish it was. I would buy a single player version in a heartbeat.

It seems very clear that the admins consider players who do not want to fight "outside" NAs target audience.

i readed something very difrent and why do we creat an OW wich limits the amount of time in fight and have plans for eco and crafting.

i recomand you to think twice before posting such things.

we could experiment with an Map section in 1:1

I think you are correct:

The ship has sailed - this topic is covered in other threads.

And then we suddenly research realistic ship components quantities and implement crafting :). And once said "We will protect the rights of people who dont want to PVP?" 

Perhaps it could be instanced like the battles, especially relative to the exploration game play. Sailing around land one could enter an instance to explore bays, coves, inlets, and estuaries. I would suggest this enhancement be left to after release or it could result in further delay.

The idea of exploration in instances is interesting. 

But it all depends on exploration gameplay (discovery, mapping...) and what has to be discovered.

No need to sail at realtime speed to find and click on ressource or an unknown island  :)

Edited by LeBoiteux

I do think very carefully about what I post and meant no disrespect with my previous post. If NA development includes details for players who do not want to fight I am very pleased. I have misunderstood the intent from the Admin.

Re open world and good fights

Our goal is to increase the number of good fights in the open world, we said it before. If somebody disagree with that goal he will not like the game then. There is nothing we can do. If he wants zero good fights in the game he is outside our target audience.

It's reasonable (in the context of the above Admin post) that researching realistic ship components quantities and implementing crafting is for primarily for fighting. But I may lack understanding of what this is.

Having a single player version could be an option that allows a focus on reallistic navigation/sailing details without slowing down the competitive features for the combat multiplayer. It is encouraging to hear of support for those who do not wish to PVP but perhaps it is just too difficult to satisfy the highly competitive players and the realism sim types in the same sandbox.

And again ... apologies if I am misunderstanding the goals of the Admin. I like the game and am trying not to be insulting.

I do think very carefully about what I post and meant no disrespect with my previous post. If NA development includes details for players who do not want to fight I am very pleased. I have misunderstood the intent from the Admin.

It's reasonable (in the context of the above Admin post) that researching realistic ship components quantities and implementing crafting is for primarily for fighting. But I may lack understanding of what this is.

Having a single player version could be an option that allows a focus on reallistic navigation/sailing details without slowing down the competitive features for the combat multiplayer. It is encouraging to hear of support for those who do not wish to PVP but perhaps it is just too difficult to satisfy the highly competitive players and the realism sim types in the same sandbox.

And again ... apologies if I am misunderstanding the goals of the Admin. I like the game and am trying not to be insulting.

Don't worry. Here is the explanation

Good fights: interesting battles where both sides have at least a minimal chance and are actively participating in battle.

So for example:

5 constitutions sinking 1 surprise is not a good fight.

5 constitutions sinking 4 constitutions and a Bellona is a good fight

It's hard to achieve but we believe it's possible.

We don't like gankers and will continue deteriorating gameplay for gankers by all means possible.

• Like 4

It's not that I don't enjoy PVP, far from it.

But for a sailing game it just frustrates me that we cant sail at any point other than in PVP. I haven't heard anything about the sailing mechanics outside of PVP except that it would be stupid to have OW full time. Maybe something has been said and I missed it, I don't visit the forums as often as others do (on top of that these forums are a bit of a mess so it's difficult to find anything). It doesn't seem like many other players are all that interested in sailing ships though anyways so it might just be a fruitless effort.

It's not that I don't enjoy PVP, far from it.

But for a sailing game it just frustrates me that we cant sail at any point other than in PVP. I haven't heard anything about the sailing mechanics outside of PVP except that it would be stupid to have OW full time. Maybe something has been said and I missed it, I don't visit the forums as often as others do (on top of that these forums are a bit of a mess so it's difficult to find anything). It doesn't seem like many other players are all that interested in sailing ships though anyways so it might just be a fruitless effort.

I don't think that people aren't interested, rather that the focus is elsewhere at the moment - known bugs, PVP before the wipe, the wipe itself, crafting + new features recently announced. I'm very interested in being able to sail - actually sail - from point A to point B, I'm just doubtful that it's a priority at the moment.

It's hard to achieve but we believe it's possible.

We don't like gankers and will continue deteriorating gameplay for gankers by all means possible.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that, though it is your game.

If people have the initiative to fleet up then find someone out on their lonesome going after NPCs and kill them it was a good fight and a learning experience for the guy killing the NPCs.

IMHO every fight is a good fight as it teaches a player how to get better at the game.

Sure you can have your amazing fights with even numbers on each side though most fights throughout the 17th century were not like that. For example a British frigate along with a cutter spots a pirate brig in the 17th century. Does the captain of the frigate think "We'll let him pass, it just wouldn't be sporting to sink their ship" or "You fly a black flag, you die on the king's order; roll out the long guns!"

Battles should be both fair and unfair, I'm sure the guy who just got ganked is vying for revenge and thus is more likely to team up to try and kill the group who ganked him, probably in a bigger fleet that would 'gank' the fleet that ganked him.

Rarely has there been a 'fair' naval battle in history

Also there is already a system in place that discourages ganking. The large group is going to have to split the loot.

• Like 2

Admin never actually confirmed or denied the possibility of free roam, just responded to other comments on pvp. :)

The Admins did clarify the stance on a "good fight" and "ganking". I'm thankful for their response. They did not comment on the inclusion of non-combat player rolls.

Not sure it is helpful to reopen the discussions about ganking as it is covered extensively in other threads.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6211-new-roe-discussion/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6218-ganking-petition/

The idea of free roaming is appealing to me but from the response here it appears there are only 4 of us who would enjoy it. (At least there are only 4 who would support single player and have made the effort to vote.)

I've noticed that by sailing dead slow and using a first person view point the OW can be beautiful. I've never had anyone gank me and I've only lost one ship in a battle. People have been very respectful. The ship loss resulted when I challenged a skillful player to a fight who promptly whipped my ass, dismasted me and I surrendered to avoid a senseless slaughter of the crew.

Currently OW NA is a nice experience that could use changes to enhance the sailing, exploration and navigation immersion. But some of those changes would impact the competitive players by reducing the opportunities for battle. Allowing realtime multiplayer OW may by impossible so realtime OW may only be possible in single player.

As mentioned previously a free roam would be wonderful but I almost don't want to know if the Admin would consider allowing it one day. I would be sad to hear that the developers are decidedly opposed to a free roam version of NA. So even though the admins have clarified PVP, ganking and "good fights" without specifying if there is room for players who don't want to fight at all, I'm not sure I want to know.