Game-Labs Forum

The 2 minute timer cannot stand!:

It is destructive for lolPVP, but it is THE thing that preserves skill based PVP.

Nonsense! Large battles requires a lot of skill as well, probably more the bigger the battle. Organizing 25 ships to stay in formation. Getting them all to focus fire.

A well organized clan that have been working together for months will always destroy a PUG group. I seen a 10 man fleet that was well organized destroy a 25 man PUG fleet with more first second and third rates.

Edited by Ultravis

Nonsense! Large battles requires a lot of skill as well, probably more the bigger the battle. Organizing 25 ships to stay in formation. Getting them all to focus fire.

A well organized clan that have been working together for months will always destroy a PUG group. I seen a 10 man fleet that was well organized destroy a 25 man PUG fleet with more first second and third rates.

You always make me lol. This one was no exeption.

I am resurrecting this thread, because I stumbled across this relevant video about the 2 minute timers.  I think the developers and supporters of the 2 minute timer really need to rethink the combat mechanics of this game.  This 5v1 ganking has become the new norm.  This needs to change or this game will not last.  This video illustrates perfectly the average player in this new ruthless 2 minute timer world.

Edited by Ultravis

(...)

The idea that short timers helps gankers is a mind-boggling case of cognitive dissonance.

Short timers do not help gankers, I totally agree on this one.

But short timers really hurt possible defenders.

:huh: 

Short timers do not help gankers, I totally agree on this one.

But short timers really hurt possible defenders.

Timers sometimes help defenders, it's true.

But this is where emotion gets in the way of logic.

In the vast majority of situations, no help is ever going to arrive in time. Or if help can arrive, the attackers can reinforce even more.

But the victims of ganks can't help fixating on the one or two instances where they were jumped near a friendly port, and had reinforcements locked out by the timer. In this situation they can blame the timer for all their woes, instead of the ganking fleet or their own failure to escape.

The opponents of short timers want to ruin all PvP just so to avoid the frustration of one highly specific set of circumstances.

• Like 3

Yes. Therfore it sorta makes the battle between the hunter and the hunted instead of everyone and thier brother.

Correct.

And the short timer is an insurance for the hunter to not become the prey himself.

But sorry, I am not interested to get into any pointless discussion on this topic, manturins statement was just... erm... 'streched'... that I couldn't resist to not quote it.

Already regret it.

Although I look forward to his rant against me or how he will insult me or my mental state or what ever in his world is associated to my reaction.

Edit:

Dangit. and it just overlapped with my post.

And I am disappointed. :(

After his strong start with his in general insulting statement (insulting to everyone who dares to disagree with him) he totally let me down now, just an self biased statement from his point of view sold as fact.

I am too tired now, I hope when I check tomorrow he will elaborate the topic deeper to show off his brilliant train of thought.

Fingers crossed & gn8. :)

(and maybe even some well phrased insults as a bonus? the years of fruitful internet discussions surely have sharpened his social skills as already showcased above, want more of it)

Edited by Ragor

Timers longer than 2-3 minutes are utter insanity. It's a matter of simple math.

In 5 minutes you can sail hundreds of miles to barge into any fight. When Constitution was chased by a British fleet off New York harbor, the Americans did not send reinforcements from Boston. You would be hard-pressed to intervene at that distance if the combatants were supersonic fighter aircraft, and not sailing vessels.

When John Paul Jones attacked merchant shipping in the English Channel, he didn't get pounced on by every 3rd Rate in Portsmouth. There wouldn't be any single-ship engagements in the Channel using a Naval Action-scale map with 5-10 minute timers.

Long timers will screw up just as many even fights as ganks. The zerg always wins. And it's a teleporting zerg, too.

• Like 3

If raiders can establish intercept patterns on enemy waters why can't those same nationals establish defensive patterns !? It is amazing how easy it is to throw 8 guys to chase one but leave 4 more to roam about raiding even more because those same 8 are trapped in a battle for 90 minutes.

A big fleet can split in several smaller squadrons. That's how raiders do it, that's how coast guardsmen should do it.

2 minutes work both ways.

• Like 1

Timers longer than 2-3 minutes are utter insanity. It's a matter of simple math.

In 5 minutes you can sail hundreds of miles to barge into any fight. When Constitution was chased by a British fleet off New York harbor, the Americans did not send reinforcements from Boston. You would be hard-pressed to intervene at that distance if the combatants were supersonic fighter aircraft, and not sailing vessels.

When John Paul Jones attacked merchant shipping in the English Channel, he didn't get pounded on by every 3rd Rate in Portsmouth. There wouldn't be any single-ship engagements in the Channel using a Naval Action-scale map with 5-10 minute timers.

Long timers will screw up just as many even fights as ganks. The zerg always wins. And it's a teleporting zerg, too.

Thanks for the very fast reply, I just couldn't resist to check for a reply before I finally close my browser.

And you delivered!

I see, maths is definitely your strenght. :D

Well played and gn8 Sir, you just made me a happy chap. :)

This is pure gold.

Although I look forward to [maturin's] rant against me or how he will insult me or my mental state or what ever in his world is associated to my reaction.

(and maybe even some well phrased insults as a bonus? the years of fruitful internet discussions surely have sharpened his social skills as already showcased above, want more of it)

So, you are recoiled in fearful anticipation of his rude attacks towards your person but decide to let off a size=1 ironic insult towards his person...

And when his reply is on-point with absolutely no ad-hominem whatsoever:

Thanks for the very fast reply, I just couldn't resist to check for a reply before I finally close my browser.

And you delivered!

I see, maths is definitely your strenght. :D

Well played and gn8 Sir, you just made me a happy chap. :)

This is pure gold.

Tell me what to do with you, because I don't know whether you are in need of comfort or a good spanking.

• Like 2

So I have played this game a lot and I am currently in a beautiful clan. All is great and obviously lots of improvements to be made etc but all in all great - so really well done to the developers.

One thing I have to say: Battle Timer Mechanic will become the Death of the game if it is not changed.

I am happy to elaborate more if people disagree or they would like me to explain why. Just see what is happening in Jamaica the past few days in the games.. take a little peak and see for yourselves.

You log in the game you are at Carlisle or PM once you are out you are surrounded by pirates of French or whatever. they tag you and you enter battle.. but oh guess what.. no one can help you in the base of your nation because of the battle timer - of course it makes absolute sense. its like in real battles where a ton of ships come and attack the first two boats they see in your doorstep but as in real life your neighbours cannot help you because there is a restriction to help after 2 minutes.. just quickly fix this nonsense please so we can play this game and enjoy it. 

Oh... I almost forgot.. for the love of god and goddesses... sort out the  "I am hiding in a screen and will come out to surprise attack" or "when it is safe" Battle Screen mechanic... Thanks and keep up the good work

oh wait a second... you sailed the buccenature on rank1? you know you are not supposed to use it until you can crew in right? and we old players all started with basic cutters and made our way truh the tiers when leveling, you can do that aswell. Also, your buccenature has 2 durability. Lastly, if you want to avoid pvp there is a pve server. Enjoy :)

So I have played this game a lot and I am currently in a beautiful clan. All is great and obviously lots of improvements to be made etc but all in all great - so really well done to the developers.

One thing I have to say: Battle Timer Mechanic will become the Death of the game if it is not changed.

I am happy to elaborate more if people disagree or they would like me to explain why. Just see what is happening in Jamaica the past few days in the games.. take a little peak and see for yourselves.

You log in the game you are at Carlisle or PM once you are out you are surrounded by pirates of French or whatever. they tag you and you enter battle.. but oh guess what.. no one can help you in the base of your nation because of the battle timer - of course it makes absolute sense. its like in real battles where a ton of ships come and attack the first two boats they see in your doorstep but as in real life your neighbours cannot help you because there is a restriction to help after 2 minutes.. just quickly fix this nonsense please so we can play this game and enjoy it.

Oh... I almost forgot.. for the love of god and goddesses... sort out the "I am hiding in a screen and will come out to surprise attack" or "when it is safe" Battle Screen mechanic... Thanks and keep up the good work

Since you are hung up on " real life " let me help you out.

In real life if you sail out alone while other shis are docked in port and are attacked by pirates well after you left port and you use your 18th century radio to call for help ( you know real life) and your friends come to help you it would take your friends how many hours to leave thier homes, barracks, taverns or wherever to get to the ships then unhook her, get men and equipment into place and get her ready to sail out of port? Then to acually find you at sea with thier 18th century gps locator on your ship ( real life ya know)?

And the real life BS you hate. As far as i know in real life if you spend 90 minutes escaping a ship ( key word ESCAPING if you are losing track) you are not magically teleported BACK into the middle.of all the shis you just escaped.

I know i know. Pesky real life and facts you crave so much.