Game-Labs Forum

Why not Kickstarter for new features?

Seems like a lot of features about this game that people would like to see are constrained by resources.

Lots of things that would be really cool are simply out of the question because they would cost a lot to implement.  

Why not use Kickstarter and see if those resources could be raised?

Do some kickstarter fund raising, and offer kickstarter backers some nice rewards (unique ships or something of the like.)  

Then, you could implement a bunch of things that today are not possible.  Put together a wish list of awesome but expensive game improvements, tie them to kickstarter goals.  

I'd back it.

Hoe does Steam treat games that are on EA and yet use crowdfunding?

This is one thing.

Second thind is - people are already up in arms in numbers about the price of the game. Having a pricely EA and kickstarter might just push you over the egde and make you famous. Not in the way you would want to.

You shouldn't ask for more money unless you REALLY need more money. And at that point you have to admit you effed it up.

• Like 2

I have thought exactly the same. Why remain small when you can became big?

More money, more resources, more people can be hired, more features could be done, more ship in less time could be added and so on...

I really think this game is different, there is no game in development like this, other games of the age of sail are very old or too arcadish and simple. We live in a time where simulation games are going back and where a tool like kickstarter can make our dreams come true without the interference of large publishers. As others like me, I just wanted our game to succeed where others have failed.

Just think of the posibilities!

Ask yourself - why don't you do it?

Developers are humans too. They are not a machine you can upgrade by throwing money at a PC store shopkeep. You cannot shove a new RAM stock up Admin's... PC... and expect the game to be bigger, faster and better. Money is not everything.

I am enjoying every single bit the devs been doing for so long. Their vision and workflow is paying off with highest product standard. Let's not go through the "shopping for features" venue. We payed, pay, and will pay for excellence.

Seems like a lot of features about this game that people would like to see are constrained by resources.

Lots of things that would be really cool are simply out of the question because they would cost a lot to implement.  

Why not use Kickstarter and see if those resources could be raised?

Do some kickstarter fund raising, and offer kickstarter backers some nice rewards (unique ships or something of the like.)  

Then, you could implement a bunch of things that today are not possible.  Put together a wish list of awesome but expensive game improvements, tie them to kickstarter goals.  

I'd back it.

recourses means money, manpower, severquality, time and coffee, and gamelabs lacks mostly in manpower

Edited by Fuzzyhead12

I think there's valid points against it, you pay a pretty hefty sum for EA etc. 

One could choose to invest some time and work instead, though.

What could be done is voluntary work, if the developers sort of hold contests for designing icons for the user interface, like for copper ore, live oak logs etc. There should be plenty of good designers available for that, and that for an honorable mention in the finished product would be willing to do it.