Game-Labs Forum

Game servers location

I really LOVE all I've seen & read here about the game!

I'm looking forward to playing it but I have a concern.

With another age of sail game that came out recently I was looking forward to playing it but when it finally was released it was sooo laggy I could not play.

There servers are in Sweden or something like that so with this being another European published game I am worried that this will happen all over again and I am drooling to play this.

Like many others here I am a POTBS player and have played many other sailing games as well and its my favorite type of game.

Will there be a U.S. server?

• Like 3

One in the EU one in NA and one in AU and that'll cover pretty much everyone except the asian market but they tend to play different games for some reason. Though you may cut the AU one if the market isnt big there either.

I forsee this game getting pretty big. This game will attract the total war community I bet you. In fact I found the Ultimate General Gettysburg forums from the Total war centre modding forums when fellow total war modders Darth vader and Husserl said they were working on that and I couldnt believe that I missed Naval action being on the same forum lol.

• Like 1

I imagine that this game will be perfectly playable even with 300 ping or so. The players move very slowly and predictably in a two dimensional space, so there's oodles of room for server error to go unnoticed.

Heck, a military sim like ArmA works just fine with high ping, even with a hundred sprinting players shooting bullets into a million trees.

Yes high ping issues isnt problem in this game. High ping i mean(200-300ms) shouldnt be a problem. Higher  arent playable in any mmo game, even on chess (blitz) u need fast respones under half a sec.

Australian servers are a bit of a problem because the last time i heared about the sugestion for one over at War thunder they said that the Au prizes are higher than one in Taiwan to serve as an oceanian Server. even for some normal games like counter strike the prizes are enorm compared to our prizes we have in US or EU. but i might be wrong on this one so feel free to correct me

oh.. your getting prizes for servers? nice :P

Sorry for beeing a dick but didnt you mean >Price<(s)

German server fits me perfectly.. I wont be too far away(German I am) hehe..

And about ping:

If there are lagspikes you may totally miss a fully broadside. So.. We dont know hoch much of an issue any this may be.

So much: Much more fast paced FPS or flight/tank games dont suuffer too much from pings. Sadly sometimes they do.

As lower the ping, the better it is. But Ithink in test phase we will see what it is for the Moment. A game needs Players for making it profitable. So I think the players will not play with low ping and run away. I am confident the producers will take the best way for players and themselves.

Australian servers are a bit of a problem because the last time i heared about the sugestion for one over at War thunder they said that the Au prizes are higher than one in Taiwan to serve as an oceanian Server. even for some normal games like counter strike the prizes are enorm compared to our prizes we have in US or EU. but i might be wrong on this one so feel free to correct me

Prices lol. You have the best English.

But yes you are correct. Australian tax is ridiculous. Australia is a rather wealthy place and for quite some time one of the best places to live financially. Until the government there decided they ran out of money and revealed that they were $50 billion AUD in the red. So everything got very expensive all of a sudden. Better off trying New Zealand for a server price wise. Australians still get around 60-80 ping on NZ servers.

yeah i got a litle spelling problems specially when i'm 8finger typing and my keyboard is dirty/broken on some keys so i have to try and rebuild my text to keep it short and not to complicated kinda meh.

but this gives me some sort of acent when typing \o/

but atleast i said no bullshit that the servers are too expensiv in down under

You can check this video, there was a high (+100 ms) latency (you can see it on the top of the video, between center and right corner), the whole battle ran smoothly tho. I guess it's the same in 200-300 ms range, unless you lose some packets

• Like 1

depends what you mean with coems out? release or early acces this not like the general early acces games you can get ons team wich are mostly polished out from bugs

this is still alpha gameplay just to amke sure you are not disapointed when you ,,waste,, your money without knowing in wich state the game really is

I really LOVE all I've seen & read here about the game!

I'm looking forward to playing it but I have a concern.

With another age of sail game that came out recently I was looking forward to playing it but when it finally was released it was sooo laggy I could not play.

There servers are in Sweden or something like that so with this being another European published game I am worried that this will happen all over again and I am drooling to play this.

Like many others here I am a POTBS player and have played many other sailing games as well and its my favorite type of game.

Will there be a U.S. server?

As a former Potbs-player i can understand your concern, i had simular worries when it comes to Potbs because their servers was located in Seattle, even the EU ones.  But tbh the only thing that we had problem with was the boarding combat. The seacombat went on quite ok.

perfect, i can live with servers located in germany

i'm located near amsterdam so i guess i won't be having.

One thing is do hope is the people who are far away. there are ping boosters ( reduce latency ) 

you can test to what servers you connect before arriving at the destination. 

mostly you can tell its not very efficient connecting if you have a high ping , Plus the fact that you're located far from the server isn't helping either ( stating the obvious )

good luck! :)

edit : i can't type

I believe the EvE Online server Tranquility is based in London for everyone to access, the only difference is China where they have their own.  I can see that Naval Action is a type of game that is possibly with the same pace of combat similar to EvE Online the gamer does not have to worry if they have 50m/s more than the next person, and it certainly not heavily demanded for twitch based combat, so it will be perfectly fine if someone from the states is connected to Germany with a ping of 200 for example and someone from the UK like myself with a ping of 60.

Germany do have quite a good network infrastructure so shouldn't be much for concern.

The US is a more central place for a location of servers.

Err, not really, since it's located on the edge of the largest wilderness in the world: the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway, the game runs surprisingly well with a slow-ish internet connection. I'm currently out in the boonies getting wifi by satellite, and the 25 v 25 battle went just fine.

• Like 1

Err, not really, since it's located on the edge of the largest wilderness in the world: the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway, the game runs surprisingly well with a slow-ish internet connection. I'm currently out in the boonies getting wifi by satellite, and the 25 v 25 battle went just fine.

Well you may not of noticed but the 3rd largest western gaming community is in that Pacific Ocean. The oceanic community. Europe just happens to be on the other side of the world the furtherest possible distance away from it.

These are the population numbers for EvE Online, as mentioned before server for rest of the world (exclude China) is based in London, so everyone from the US to Australisia roughly 40 thousand people daily.  Again ping will have little relevance to Naval Action and other types of games in my opinion.

You have to get out of the mindset that this is not Battlefield 4 or World of Warcraft.  When I was flying in World War 2 Online with my Squad most of the guys were from the US, we would fly in formation in bombers and I would have a ping of around 120+ from the UK and could fly close with no warping or lag. You really will not have nothing to worry about if your ping is higher than others, of course if its up and above 500-1000+ then you will start to experience some issues.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

• Like 1

Err, that's called Asia and Australia unless you're just trying to be cute. Not too many gamers in Samoa and Hawaii.

Australia and New Zealand are the third largest market for games off steam after the United States and Europe. Asia strangely enough isn't really into things like steam. No idea why.

But if you want to test high ping give me a test copy. 350 ping I'll be getting. You can say it'll be fine all you want but you're not the one on the other side of the god damn world.

Servers will be in the EU I presume, as they should be. I expect them to eventually open a NA server if/when the demand shows, but I don't ever foresee them forking out money for a server in Australia lol unless the game really, really, really takes off.

But as has been said, this isn't battlefield or CSGO where ping is super important to keep as low as possible.

Cough cough largest audience cough central location.

The largest audience will assuredly not be in the U.S.

Europe plays just as many videogames and has a comparable population. They also go in for this sort of historical, realistic gameplay. And that goes double for Russians, who already outnumber us English-speaking forumites and will flock to a game by a Ukrainian developer with familiar design preferences.