Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action Making Headlines

William the Drake

Naval Action is turning heads and raising eyebrows with its immediate success just in Steam's Early Access, topping the charts at one point. And some Gaming media outlets are taking notice. I have no doubt that we will see more good things about Naval Action in Gaming news in the coming weeks and months. 

Congratulations gentlemen, you've made one hell of a game.

Kotaku: Turns Out PC Gamers Really Want To Play Games With Sailing Ships

• "It’s got the most brutal navigation experience I’ve seen in a long time, in that it doesn’t really have one.[...]Want to get around? Use the compass and look for landmarks, like your great-great-great grandpappy did."

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Sandbox Seas: Naval Action Boards Steam Early Access

Polygon: Naval Action and the Great Age of Sail

• "In bigger battles, involving dozens of ships and lasting more than an hour, just surviving feels like a major triumph."
Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 1

"My great-great-great grandpappy" used all kinds of things other than a compass and landmarks. It's not that the game should have a GPS marker, but navigators were able to be fairly accurate about where they were, even out of sight of land for months. That there's nothing representing a competent navigator on-board disappoints me a little.

• Like 1

I'm really annoyed by all the 'it's too hard to do X, Y, and Z. It needs a tutorial. etc etc'

Do these people really want everything to be handed to them and easy?

I think a lot of players want to be able to start up the game and be very excellent in a few minutes. For many gamers satisfaction is more about reflex and hand eye co-ordination than learning .

Other people enjoy the progression of developing their skills. The challenge of thinking and planning enhances the game.

• Like 1

I'm waiting to see what, if anything, Jim Sterling has to say about it, since he tends to cover stuff in Early Access. I mean, I don't know if he'll say anything good (since he tends to be pretty negative), but it would be promising if he did.  

Edited by Arvenski

I'm waiting to see what, if anything, Jim Sterling has to say about it, since he tends to cover stuff in Early Access. I mean, I don't know if he'll say anything good (since he tends to be pretty negative), but it would be promising if he did.  

I would like to see that, however I am quite sceptical. The game is too high quality for one of his typical EA bash the game episodes. On the other hand the game is too complex for him to grasp, if he was going to do only a one episode.

I'm really annoyed by all the 'it's too hard to do X, Y, and Z. It needs a tutorial. etc etc'

Do these people really want everything to be handed to them and easy?

I know I thought I had a good grasp of things, turn out I didn't but I'm learning and asking stupid questions lol.

• 3 months later...