Game-Labs Forum

Tacking Sequence

Wouldn't that be only a problem with respected to Lynx, Yacht and Cutter, where their best point to the wind is beam rather than broad reach?  Suppose it could use some tuning up or make it dependent on the ship-type.

Wouldn't that be only a problem with respected to Lynx, Yacht and Cutter, where their best point to the wind is beam rather than broad reach?  Suppose it could use some tuning up or make it dependent on the ship-type.

We arn't connecting on some level I don't think.

I'm concerned about the depiction of the wind arc on the compass rows. I believe the current position of the shaded arc is an indication of wind and not an indication of best point of sail as it is neither abeam or broad reach but straight down wind and it fades off the closer you get to a broad reach. If it is to mean "best point of sail" than is should be a narrow shaded area on the heading that best represents each individual ships best point. If it is to indicate wind then it needs to be on the upwind side of the arrow line because it is a meaningless depiction as is and is confusing.

You mean, you want the shaded area at the no go zone instead, like this?

480px-Points_of_sail.svg.png

Don't see a problem with that.  Maybe it should be shaded pink/red with the best point/running in green/blue?  Or something acceptable for the color blind.

• Like 2

Why does best point need to be shown? Just let people discover on their own. Plus, they might incorporate minor variations even within a class, which would be something else to discover via gameplay.

Agree entirely that the arc should show the "dead zone" rather than an arbitrary "downwind zone." But again, I think this should be very fuzzy and allow players to learn on their own just how far upwind their ship can point. Maybe one arc for square-rigs and another for fore-and-aft rigs?

That is exactly why I suggested that the shaded area show the point at which square sails comes aback or start to luff. Currently all vessels can point higher than that (I will hold my tongue on this point) using their fore-and-aft sails.

And yet most fore-and-aft rigged vessels will have a square topsail or two. So the compass will remain common, yet useful to all vessels. It will have a reference for where upwind performance starts getting bad.

The no-go zone can left unshown.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I find that it boils down to

1. Getting up as much speed as possible in auto (sometimes in some ships this will turn through the wind)

2. If the speed drops below about 5 knots then back the foresail

3. When the center line of the ship crosses the wind - back the rears and position the fore sale to catch the wind again

If at any time the ship starts going backwards, reverse the rudder until her head comes round 

I've watched Ram's vid a couple of times.  Part of the learning process for me was mapping it out.  This is by no means "good", but if someone else can benefit, so be it :)

Sometimes you just need a little reminder sitting beside you until it is natural.  (Don't look down on us newbs, lol).

This assumes you have a QWERTY keyboard, and that you don't make sternway (go in reverse) during the turn.  Go back to Ram's video for instructions on that!

TackingSequence_zps874e6efb.png

Note for new folks learning...I started these turns without full rudder.  In actuality, you will have it on.  The learning though is that you can turn your ship without the rudder (in the event your rudder is red, you are not entirely Dead in the Water).

• Like 2

Maybe not as clear as it could be. Essentially took ram's video & text explanation, and took a few screen shots as I executed it. Once to the left, once to the right. I'm not up to speed with terminology, but it should be tacking.

Of course, if it is wrong... It should be fixed otherwise I still don't get manual sails or tacking through the wind. Lol

Is it the second note about being able to turn without using rudder? Maybe I should not have that there... That was just something I learned in error while trying this. Is that called "wearing".

Well, here is my "Try Hard" version (fun poke at myself).  Truthfully, I don't have the skillset to make this look good.  The great news is someone in the community, it the felt so, can take the idea and improve on it.  A .GIF would be best I think.

RAM - Awesome video.  Everyone - Awesome technical explanations.

TackingSequeneTryHardVersion_zpsc763057d

Darn it, I was reading the wind indicator backwards.   :P   I also see the source of my confusion.

My only problem is that if you're starting at the heading indicated, there's no point in tacking, just wear ship to the new heading and save a ton of time.  There was a post a while back that said to tack, you should head downwind first to build up speed.  If you're going to do that, just wear ship and save yourself from having to come through 270 degrees of heading.

Hence why you should never get caught closed hauled on the port tack with a nor'easterly wind blowing strong and the cliffs of Dover under you lee.  God forbid the wind veers four points and takes you aback.  You'd be dismasted sir.  Dismasted!

Cookie to whoever gets the reference :P

• Like 2