Game-Labs Forum

Profile consistent across all servers

So basically I have to start all over to play on the US server.

What could be exploited by being able to pick which server you're on?

Most games don't sync xp across shards. Many things can dramatically sway the state of the game if ships and money is shared across servers. But we are listening. We are not saying it might never happen.

• Like 2

So basically I have to start all over to play on the US server.

What could be exploited by being able to pick which server you're on?

Well, you have assets in ports which you control on Server A.  On Server B, that port has been captured. You go to Server B and your assets are in a place you can't get to them.  It can be confusing.

In Server A, your Nation has a lot of territory.  They use that territory to build ships, create wealth, etc.  On Server B, they don't have all of those ports.  You take the wealth from Server A and use it to do things on Server B.

Having different "realities" means that blockading a group would have to be done simultaneously on two (or more) different servers.  Asset and resource denial are meaningless, and it's impossible (or nearly impossible) to conduct correct warfare between nations.  It basically makes a huge mess of the conquest game that is Naval Action.

It's just a huge pain for normal people who want to play with friends on a different server.

That is understandable, but as henry said, the disadvantages are massive, the disadvantages are tiny, if you want to play with friends, it is best to stick to one server all the time.

A friend of mine and I are both quite passionate about this game, we have been playing together since sea trials.

He prefers PvE, and I prefer PvP. When we play together, we always have a fuss over what server to play on, I of course want PvP as all my ships and gold and resources are on there, and he wants PvE for the same reason. 

Of course as we get more into the game this will become even more tiresome as we get bigger ships that we are less inclined to leave behind. Now we have essentially destroyed any co-op we could have done, which I feel is a great shame as he is a great captain and I enjoy his company. 

I do realize that there are issues and possible exploits that could emerge. I do know of Elite Dangerous, that allows you to transfer between PvE and PvP servers without issue, keeping all stats, credits, etc..

I know it might be difficult, but I personally want to see if there's even an inkling of possibility.

How many games allow you to take your character with all of their XP and items to another server at the player's convenience? I can't think of any.

Red Orchestra 2, War Thunder, I don't play a lot of games requiring you to buy things or gain XP but I'm sure it's just about every game that includes XP and unlockable/buyable items.

I was ignoring this problem but since I'm forced to play on PVP 2 (due to an 11 hour wait on PVP1) I'm back to being a bit frustrated with it.

What if you only allow people to swap servers once a week? Similar to how teleport to capitol works. Playing with friends will still be a pain in the butt, but much less of one.

I don't like taking steps backwards and I feel many of the newcomers might be discouraged when they are unable to join the server they spent hours working on over the past few days only to have to start over again to-day.

Well, getting at least ships/equipement/gold/XP shared between the shards would be a great idea... The choice is simple : server 3 => play right away, have some fun for 30 minutes trips and stuff, or wait 30 minutes to join server 1... It's a bit of a no-brainer for me...

I redeemed my ships on the European server then also had about 60k gold i spent forever getting. Then i realized i was on the European and not US server and lost it all when i transferred to the US. I think you should be able to regardless because It's not really going to make a difference. Players played the hours needed to earn the stuff they got so they earned it doesn't really matter which server your on. I think if your worried about a synchronization issue being exploited you could easily code it up so it wasn't an issue whether its making sure all other accounts are logged off and locking the clients controller until it finishes transferring and the old items are deleted from the old server.