Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics

Tbh i tested this INFAMOUS PIRATE GRINDING: (is not worth your time if you can do pve in a big group expecial sinking 3rd rates,consti with others )

(pirate on pirate) Pavel vs Pavel, 60 mins, not sinking each other, 900 xp 40k gold

On real pve for 60 mins you get by sinking ships (3rd rates-consti etc) 2500-3000 xp and 60k gold + modules drop

(pirate on pirate )A frig shooting a pavel for 50 mins, not sinking it get 800xp and 35k gold

On real pve for 50 mins you get by sinking ships 1500-2000 xp and 40-45k gold + modules drop

Cutter on Cutter, i tryed first with 1 side sinking other, too long,and it was getting 120-140xp for 10-12mins+ and only 3k gold.

best way is boarding with one side losing (making bad counter-choices)

you get 90-100xp every 7 mins (include dock ,undock, moving time, preparation for board, boarding turns etc), so 760-900 xp/h and very very low gold since you not shooting .

Pirate on pirate Grind is not worth the time, if you can pve fleet with others., it also require for be effective that one of the 2 side have a bigger ship that can be pound for much time. otherwise is not worth the effort. it may be can be used effectively for powerleveling someone, but he can do it alone by pve fleeting in a faster way and he will get also modules.

ps: and more your ship get bigger more the pve in group is worth, now in a victory i am doing an average of 3-4k xp /h with the pve fleet of 7-10 ppl

You were farming, which is an exploit and against the rules, you weren't having an actual battle. You weren't doing an actual fight.

2. Captured or defeated pirates will go to jail for a time. - This is survival mode mechanic and makes the class cautious of others, both pirates and nationals. This would curb the population greatly in my opinion and would essentially make the class less aggressive against the nations. Fights for them will be very planned out.

This is a terrible idea. Taking away a player's character for, presumably, hours is not fun. 

I'd just love to come home from work looking forward to a nice evening of playing and then "Whoops, got sunk 20 minutes in. Guess I'm not playing tonight."

• Like 4

Tbh i tested  this INFAMOUS PIRATE GRINDING:  (is not worth your time if you can do pve in a big group expecial sinking 3rd rates,consti with others )

(pirate on pirate) Pavel vs Pavel,  60 mins, not sinking each other, 900 xp 40k gold

On real pve for 60 mins you get  by sinking ships (3rd rates-consti etc) 2500-3000 xp and 60k gold   + modules drop

(pirate on pirate )A frig shooting a pavel for 50 mins, not sinking it get 800xp and 35k gold

On real pve for 50 mins you get by sinking ships 1500-2000 xp and 40-45k gold + modules drop

Cutter on Cutter,  i tryed first with 1 side sinking other, too long,and it was getting 120-140xp for 10-12mins+ and only 3k gold.

best way is  boarding with one side losing (making bad counter-choices) 

you get 90-100xp every 7 mins (include dock ,undock, moving time, preparation for board, boarding turns etc), so     760-900 xp/h and very very low gold since you not shooting .

Pirate on pirate Grind is not worth the time, if you can pve fleet with others., it also require for be effective that one of the 2 side have a bigger ship that can be pound for much time. otherwise is not worth the effort.  it may be can be used effectively for powerleveling someone, but  he can do it alone by pve fleeting in a faster way and he will get also modules.

ps: and more your ship get bigger more  the pve in group is worth, now in a victory i am doing an average of 3-4k xp /h with the pve fleet of 7-10 ppl 

Thank you for putting values to this.

This is a terrible idea. Taking away a player's character for, presumably, hours is not fun. 

I'd just love to come home from work looking forward to a nice evening of playing and then "Whoops, got sunk 20 minutes in. Guess I'm not playing tonight."

Archage used a jail....... it was just a place where people went afk

I also like admin's idea of giving pirates 'nation charters' that allow pirate guilds to form alliances that crystalize into nations, that may allow more emergent gameplay and make it so others' "immersion" is hurt less once they formalize becoming a nation. 

Some of Admin's idea goes versus game logic. Pirates able to attack other pirates. This option works as national dispersion factor. 

Archage used a jail....... it was just a place where people went afk

its stolen from Ragnarok i think, or even from something older) Also its bad idea

Not too sure about the jail thing but all the other points are spot on.

The Pirates are a unique faction and deserve to have the mechanics of one. From what the Admin has said it almost feels like they don't want to change it because there are so many pirates who would complain. This isn't about being historical, or accuracy... It is purely down to creating a balanced unique faction that acts as an alternative way to play compared to the others.

Well Ill just let you know that this idea is not mine. It was the original plan of the Naval Action Developers.

Its value as an idea revolves around how you want the pirate class to work. There are plenty of games that have a time penalty for a character that is killed. Most of these are survival games. By adding this into the pirate class you are essentially creating a "survival" class in an age of sail game. That is truly epic and unique! It has the bi-product of being the best non-artificial idea that would cause the pirates to actually act like pirates by preying on the week and avoiding the strong and would also limit the numbers to those who wish a difficult challenge and role play. It would promote the smaller faster ships even though it wouldn't prevent them from sailing the larger ones which nullifies some of the devs concerns about bringing purpose to the smaller weaker ships.

The problem with your argument is that it presumes you have to choose to be pirate which you don't. If you can't hack it then you don't deserve to play it. The problem with your argument is what i alluded to in the original post..... you want to play a nation with your play style but you want to feel like a rebel doing it. I say choose one. You shouldn't be able to do both!

Its the best idea that would bring the pirate faction into a more historical context and it can be done in one fell swoop. I would LOVE to play this type of pirate. I'm up for the challenge. Otherwise "pirate" is just a boring cookie cutter class that will make NA just another age of sail game with better graphics and remove from the game an opportunity to stand out as a game that is ground breaking.

• Like 1

Bangsplat, very well constructed poll. Would have said it in the thread but it is locked so multiple discussions don't take place. I hope everyone takes away from your poll creation as some I've seen aren't constructed very well.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8329-pirate-mechanics-vote/?view=getnewpost

Thank you very much. The key here was to create a poll that very clearly showed the thoughts of the community. As you can see, it has done exactly that.

Would be very interesting to see who voted for what in this poll.

Yes, I thought of that after I added it. No doubt there will be a few biased views but if another people vote it should even it out.

Otherwise "pirate" is just a boring cookie cutter class that will make NA just another age of sail game with better graphics and remove from the game an opportunity to stand out as a game that is ground breaking.

This is a key point. This game will get very good attention in the gaming media if it chooses to treat Pirates in a unique factional way that helps gameplay.

Conversely, it will undermine and belittle the accomplishments of this game when media reviewers or prospective players will see that Pirates are nothing but a nation painted black.

I think bangsplat's poll clearly shows that making Pirates unique has nearly universal support from the players. It's better for the perception of the game externally too. It would provide more varied gameplay.

So then what's the problem? Why hasn't this been done already?

• Like 2

This is a key point. This game will get very good attention in the gaming media if it chooses to treat Pirates in a unique factional way that helps gameplay.

Conversely, it will undermine and belittle the accomplishments of this game when media reviewers or prospective players will see that Pirates are nothing but a nation painted black.

I think bangsplat's poll clearly shows that making Pirates unique has nearly universal support from the players. It's better for the perception of the game externally too. It would provide more varied gameplay.

So then what's the problem? Why hasn't this been done already?

I think Sharpe summarized what most people are talking about in regards to Pirates. This isn't a nerf pirates debate it's a make pirates unique and fun to play in their own right don't make them a nation with a fancy flag. That's boring and dull and doesn't really make them pirates.

I would wait a few days before we say the poll represents the community. It hasn't even been up for more than a few hours. Lots of active community members have yet to see it.

Edited by Frost