Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics

For those wondering we pirates don't kill each other because we need each other for back up if we get into a big fight.

Plus the last thing we pirates need to do is create enemies. I know for a fact that a pirates worst fear is angering a fellow pirate player then the next time you see that player is in a battle with two players. One in a sanitisima and the other in a snow.

Pvp gives a higher rate of gold and xp. And if you take it seriously, it gives you a lot more experience in battle to develop your skill. Pirates are the closest thing to Sea Trails 1 right now. If you wanted you could do an endless supply of pvp without really having to sail. It is the best way to train new players too in a low key/stress and controlled environment.

We dont have the ships to throw away in to that, i know as a higher level player i get about 2-4k xp a hour , and alot of the lower players get 500-2k a hour i dont think sinking cutter 1v1 grants a ton of xp if we had a endless supply of ships then i agree exp grinding through pvp would work but we dont . some of you older players may forget we dont and never had any thing we can redeem beside the Yahat and even if we clean out the ships in the ports that will only take us so far we have more people then that so ai ships is the best for the pirate community or at least how i see it.

Pirates have the ability to PvE, PvE grants more exp per person/per hour as long as that holds true pirates will keep it up. If your really worried about it I suggest you create a post suggesting a modifier on the exp gained from Pirate on Pirate PvP and a incentive for attacking Nats. Pirates can still back stab but its not profitable.

Sadly this issue is a Hydra , you cut off one head 2 more pop up....

In fact they did own ports, ports were small enough for their own operations. In this game it would be the best to keep what we have. Your idea suggests an invisible zone for pirates. The thing is, once players find that wonder land they will farm pirates day/night at that location. Nationals will blockade that zone from spreading, so Pirates won't be able to move in or out any goods from that zone. I agree with 'raiding' idea similar to Potbs. Raid, destroy Port infrastructure and in 3 days leave. 'Raiding' should give pirates extra cash reward. This idea might be added if Conquest points are added to NA. 

Also, Pirates can have 50/50, which means some ports can be captured by Pirates and some only Raided.

I also, have made a suggestion not long ago about Pirates who can be hired by Nationals as Mercenaries and always go back to Piracy without problem. This can expand Conquest and it's impact as a Pirate. 

Let Pirates build ships, but call them refits with different names. Imagine this, you don't craft Pirate ship from scratch - you refit ship to Pirate needs by using same amount of materials. Let's say the idea is not to limit any players of any nation. Crafting should be equal for all. Removing crafting from a nation will hurt player base. As we all know, Pirate nation will be one of the most popular nations in this game. 

If there is raiding there should be Port Battle. 

I hope developers can add these ideas to their list. 

*Note that Conquest system is not fully finished and will be expanded. 

Well there we go. I didn't know any that they owned ports, I always thought they were just tolerated in some ports. I'm guessing that it was fairly limited though?

It isn't an invisible zone, it already exists, it just isn't shown on the map. People wouldn't be able to farm them as you say, as they have the protection zone.

Honestly I think that the pirate nation shouldn't be able to capture ports. Raiding, ransoming, blockading, yes.... Owning? No.

Edit: Also remember, the pirates can work out of the Free Towns that are dotted all over the map.

I have voiced concern of Pirate port ownership, PB role, crafting, and other things in many of my previous topics:

In short, should pirates capture (and hold) ports? No, should they raid them? Yes.

Should pirates be able to craft small vessels? Yes. Large frigates and lineships. Absolutely not. Should they be able to craft some economic materials (sugar, wheat, coal, iron, etc.) yes. Should they be able to corner the market on rum or ship materials, no. 

Crafting is a little bit more complicated. I think there certainly needs to be some sort of limitation for the pirates, perhaps crafting only up to Frigates would be the way to do so.

We actually don't. Once it goes to EA and our current progress is wiped, pirates will win the race. They can attack each other and earn fast xp and gold. They don't have to even go far from MT. They can sit outside the zone and attack each other without having to hunt or sail. Once they get high enough xp and gold they will be the first into sols and the first to take over the majority of the Caribbean without any nation having the means to combat them. What happened to your stance of pirates being the hardcore criminal mode? Now they are just the fanboy easy mode whose numbers will rival GB and maybe even surpass it, being able to field the most people in any given time zone except maybe the UK timezone. Nationals have to hunt for enemies, pirates can just fight their friends to insure easy gold and xp. I bet on the 1st day of EA several pirates will be in frigates. Within a week, they will be in sols.  Oh, and nationals can't join each other's port battles, so even if all the nations gang up together, the pirates will just outnumber them in the actual port battle.

Agreed, the pirates will be a huge nation due to the romance of being a pirate. The whole leveling up on each other is a major advantage for the nation, with no drawbacks. That's why I suggest this, as it limits the pirate nation to a more pirate like ability.

I'm a bit surprised that many pirates don't fight each other for XP and gold. In the current system it is by far the best way to go. It is also the best way to get actual fighting experience for new players right now.

Many people playing as pirates are actually nationals with black flags I guess. Many nationals are really more like pirates with national flags too.

I still wish pirate was not a choice you could make in character creation.

They do, often. Also, agreed... It should not be a choice of faction but something you can become. Something like a Hero/Bandit system like in DayZ - Epoch. Easy to become a pirate, hard to turn back.

Edited by B4NGSPL4T
  • Like 3

We dont have the ships to throw away in to that, i know as a higher level player i get about 2-4k xp a hour , and alot of the lower players get 500-2k a hour i dont think sinking cutter 1v1 grants a ton of xp if we had a endless supply of ships then i agree exp grinding through pvp would work but we dont . some of you older players may forget we dont and never had any thing we can redeem beside the Yahat and even if we clean out the ships in the ports that will only take us so far we have more people then that so ai ships is the best for the pirate community or at least how i see it.

Neither did we. That was before redeemables, on our alt accounts anyway, and when xp and gold rates were less. We also started out in the 8 gun Lynx instead of 12 gun cutter. We just got into massive battles with each other and got tons of xp and gold.

That was also before free towns, when interaction between pirate accounts and national accounts was impossible. I think it might have been before crafting as well, when you only had the ships in port to buy.

Again, that you don't want it disabled permantly is telling. Either it isn't used and you don't care that it is disabled permantly, or you do care, and want it as an option to be used.

I honestly believe that the fact that we are competing with other Nations (Mainly England and U.S.A.) in the holding of ports (mainly in the Bahamas area) that we don't see more fighting amongst pirates. We can't afford to fight amongst ourselves because if we do, we risk losing our ports to the nationals (again). Remember that not too long ago pirates were whittled down to just our capitol MT. Then we banded together to reclaim our old ports (in which many had valuable ships they didn't want to lose).

You eliminate our fear of losing ports and need to defend, conquer, and recapture them, and it is my opinion that you will see at least a small rise in pirate v pirate instances.

They do, often. Also, agreed... It should not be a choice of faction but something you can become. Something like a Hero/Bandit system like in DayZ - Epoch. Easy to become a pirate, hard to turn back.

Edited by William the Drake

I honestly believe that the fact that we are competing with other Nations (Mainly England and U.S.A.) in the holding of ports (mainly in the Bahamas area) that we don't see more fighting amongst pirates. We can't afford to fight amongst ourselves because if we do, we risk losing our ports to the nationals (again). Remember that not too long ago pirates were whittled down to just our capitol MT. Then we banded together to reclaim our old ports (in which many had valuable ships they didn't want to lose).

You eliminate our fear of losing ports and need to defend, conquer, and recapture them, and it is my opinion that you will see at least a small rise in pirate v pirate instances.

The current states of ports means nothing at the moment. Due to the patch adding in port times, and existing ports not having times set on them, it is not a true reflection of what will happen after the re-set.

Crafting is a little bit more complicated. I think there certainly needs to be some sort of limitation for the pirates, perhaps crafting only up to Frigates would be the way to do so.

Harder is not impossible, there is nothing stopping pirates from hiring natural players at free ports to build SoL's, Freeports let a free-market esk economy play a role in this game. if pirates have access to ports where they can buy free market ships they will have access to the same ships as everyone else.

Why go to all the effort to stop the squirrel from getting into the bird feeder, you know he is gonna figure out a way. Just refill it so the birds get to eat some aswell.

I'm a bit surprised that many pirates don't fight each other for XP and gold. In the current system it is by far the best way to go. It is also the best way to get actual fighting experience for new players right now.

Many people playing as pirates are actually nationals with black flags I guess. Many nationals are really more like pirates with national flags too.

I still wish pirate was not a choice you could make in character creation.

Well, i'm not having exactly thought all aspects through so i'll be glad to be corrected, but isn't it the case that fighting eachother without sinking ships isn't really that rewarding? You should be faster just doing missions and sinking stuff for the damage bonus. Sinking eachother or just farming damage where any side does not answer at all is considered a bannable exploit as far as i know. If they fight eachother to sink however i don't see it as gamebreaking even if they use crappy ships. It's basically equivalent to a PvP fight in a small battle and in most cases only one side will get the kill XP, as, again, in the small battles. Not to mentions that nobody is hindering you to arrange PvP fights with an allied nation leveling up legidly exactly in the way the pirates do. Still probably will be slower than just doing small battles. So i honestly don't exactly see the problem here, but i'm open to change my mind if there is a fasttrack.

P.S. i wholly agree with your "pirates shouldn't be choosen in character creation" sentiment.

Edited by Nathaniel

Neither did we. That was before redeemables, on our alt accounts anyway, and when xp and gold rates were less. We also started out in the 8 gun Lynx instead of 12 gun cutter. We just got into massive battles with each other and got tons of xp and gold.

That was also before free towns, when interaction between pirate accounts and national accounts was impossible. I think it might have been before crafting as well, when you only had the ships in port to buy.

Again, that you don't want it disabled permantly is telling. Either it isn't used and you don't care that it is disabled permantly, or you do care, and want it as an option to be used.

My 2'cents is that i dont mind if its disable or otherwise( i want to protect pirate vs PvE xp gains). But it would be nice that once im all done with exp grinding and i want some pvp i can go find it . I dont wanna use pirate vs pirate pvp to level . I want to use it to PvP.

And im sure that there are other pirates who are more then interested in keeping it the way it is

P.S. i wholly agree with your "pirates shouldn't be choosen in character creation" sentiment.

I agree this will also help the population of pirates from getting out of control, but i think it will be somewhat resolved with what i would hope to be a later introduction of a reputation system.

We have said it somewhere already: Pirate on pirate xp will most likely be switched off sooner or later. It provides too many loopholes that cannot be controlled in any other way. Though we know that introduction of assist XP kill XP has reduced the damage farming needs for the gentlemen. 

What was unexpected is the pirate organization and unity - which is actually a good thing :). And because they mostly fight other nations they don't need XP on each other. 

• Like 2

We have said it somewhere already: Pirate on pirate xp will most likely be switched off sooner or later. It provides too many loopholes that cannot be controlled in any other way.

What was unexpected is the pirate organization and unity - which is actually a good thing :). And because they mostly fight other nations they don't need XP on each other. 

Not sure if most people know this now but pirate vs pirate tagging / instance joining mechanic is broken and you can only join on defenders side which means there will be no pirate group vs group fights possible until this is fixed.

We have said it somewhere already: Pirate on pirate xp will most likely be switched off sooner or later. It provides too many loopholes that cannot be controlled in any other way. Though we know that introduction of assist XP kill XP has reduced the damage farming needs for the gentlemen. 

This will change soon, when Nationals will form 2nd character and roll Pirate just to exterminate and pvp vs Pirates all day. No worries on this one. :D  

Well, i'm not having exactly thought all aspects through so i'll be glad to be corrected, but isn't it the case that fighting eachother without sinking ships isn't really that rewarding? You should be faster just doing missions and sinking stuff for the damage bonus. Sinking eachother or just farming damage where any side does not answer at all is considered a bannable exploit as far as i know. If they fight eachother to sink however i don't see it as gamebreaking even if they use crappy ships. It's basically equivalent to a PvP fight in a small battle and in most cases only one side will get the kill XP, as, again, in the small battles. Not to mentions that nobody is hindering you to arrange PvP fights with an allied nation leveling up legidly exactly in the way the pirates do. Still probably will be slower than just doing small battles. So i honestly don't exactly see the problem here, but i'm open to change my mind if there is a fasttrack.

The problem is that they don't have to hunt like the rest of us but can sit outside MT. It is an easy way to get into frigates on the first day and into sols by the end of the first week.

The problem is that they don't have to hunt like the rest of us but can sit outside MT. It is an easy way to get into frigates on the first day and into sols by the end of the first week.

Agree, but how is that different from getting frigates on the first day through small battles events?

Edited by Nathaniel

Agree, but how is that different from getting frigates on the first day through small battles events?

Small battle events happen hourly(?) and require 8 people. Anyway, I missed where admin stated pirate on pirate xp and gold will probably be removed.

No, they start every ten (or even five?) minutes, require no people at all (if you have not enough - you'll get a bot) and as such probably are the most effective way to powerlevel (with the only exception that the side that hasn't sunk any ship will get way less xp, but that's the case in pirate leveling as well). Nevertheless i also welcome admin's announcement at least in the way that the playing field would be completely level. But i don't think the pirates had any particular advantage over small battle events other than being able to control who gets in.

Edited by Nathaniel

No, they start every ten (or even five?) minutes, require no people at all (if you have not enough - you'll get a bot) and as such probably are the most effective way to powerlevel (with the only exception that the side that hasn't sunk any ship will get way less xp, but that's the case in pirate leveling as well). Nevertheless i also welcome admin's announcement at least in the way that the playing field would be completely level. But i don't think the pirates had any particular advantage over small battle events other than being able to control who gets in.

Well then that was a very recent change in the last month. What is the point of OW then?

No need for TDA to travel 1-2 hours down the US coast first thing on wipe. We can just stay in Charleston to level up fast.