Game-Labs Forum

How to Choose?

I am a little unsure about how guild selections work and how to choose.   Will these guilds exist after the game is released?  How big a part of the gameplay experience will they be?  I can see it as a huge part of being a pirate.  It does not make as much sense for the large nations, but I can still see it in terms of just helping each other out.  

More specifically for myself, I have been playing as a Brit (almost random choice) and moving up slowly. I have a Snow but I am staying on my Yacht because I love being fast.  I don't play everyday but I enjoy this game a lot.  Would be happy to join a guild/clan/group.

Cheers.

Most of the larger clans in this game were started a year ago when there was absolutely no mechanic for clans in the game. We built our organizations through the forums and connecting with people in Sea Trials and even recruiting from other game communities. They won't go away.

• 1 month later...

Well, before OW was launched 7000 people had bought into closed testing. 

That number have increased since then though (how much, i do not know). 

The most well known fleets (In no particular order) would probably be;

Dutch:

The Dutch Antilles Squadron (DAS)

British:

The Sea Lords Royal Navy (SLRN)

Danish:

Vest-Indiske Escadre (In english, the Danish West Indies Squadron)

France:

Enfants Du Roy (EDR)

Spain: 

Real Armada Espana (RAE)

US:

Tattered Flags (TF)

The Decatur Armada (TDA)

Pirates:

RUBLI (Not sure what it stands for).

There's alot of smaller Fleets out there as well making a name for themselves but the above are the biggest, "Most dominating" fleets so to speak. 

And no, Game-Labs did not make PotBS. They made the RTS game "Ultimate General" which is a, Quote, "Hardcore American Civil War strategy game". They have worked on a bunch of other titles though (Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, Raceroom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and more.)

Info about game labs taken from their website :) http://www.game-labs.net/

• Like 1

Well, before OW was launched 7000 people had bought into closed testing. 

That number have increased since then though (how much, i do not know). 

what? :D you got to be kidding, 7000 is incredible number. I did expect something around one thousand max....

That means that there are not many games of its genre i imagine.

Yeah 7k buy in but the largest number I've ever seen logged in at one time was 168. I'm hoping with all these new keys the player login number will jump. ATM it would be nice to be out taking orders and come across a player sail.

what? :D you got to be kidding, 7000 is incredible number. I did expect something around one thousand max....

That means that there are not many games of its genre i imagine.

There are no games out there that are attempting this level of "realism" (yes, it's not a simulator, but great care is being taken to create a game that is as realistic as possible while still being playable and fun), so it is certainly unique in the space.  No zombies, no magic, no magical "balancing" to try and make ships do things they could not do.

Yeah 7k buy in but the largest number I've ever seen logged in at one time was 168. I'm hoping with all these new keys the player login number will jump. ATM it would be nice to be out taking orders and come across a player sail.

There are probably 9,000 licenses (I'm estimating here) outstanding.  Some people liked the "arena" mode that was Early Sea Trials a lot better, others decided the game just wasn't for them, some are waiting for the "final" wipe before they start playing again to avoid losing progress, and still others are waiting for a better level of polish and finish before they start playing.  Like any test, the players online will cycle up and down as new content is added, things are fixed, etc.  :)  This is pretty normal for any title out there.  World of Tanks has 500k plus accounts created, yet you only ever see a small fraction of those online and playing.