Game-Labs Forum

Launch options - Greenlight?

I was curious if the launch planning for this has considered Steam Greenlight as an option? I notice the website 'stable-mate', Ultimate General, has taken that route and seems to be garnering a lot of support. Any thoughts about the same path?

Game Labs really should put Naval Action in steam Greenlight. Imagine how many players will try the game out if they see the news, showing a nice screenshot of the USS Constitution?

I cannot imagine why wouldn't they... once NA is released that is.

Greenlight is probably the wrong direction.

Steam early access would make more sense as the game is going to be evolving and developing over time with the input of open world etc. Greenlight tends to be finished or nearly finished games... In most cases.

Greenlight is probably the wrong direction.

Steam early access would make more sense as the game is going to be evolving and developing over time with the input of open world etc. Greenlight tends to be finished or nearly finished games... In most cases.

I have to disagree, there are several greenlit games such as DayZ (early alpha), War thunder, which still has a lot of content to be added. What else, Kerbal Program, Space Engineers....

There are plenty of buggy and unfinished games in steam.

I have to disagree, there are several greenlit games such as DayZ (early alpha), War thunder, which still has a lot of content to be added. What else, Kerbal Program, Space Engineers....

There are plenty of buggy and unfinished games in steam.

3 of those games are massive, sailing games have and always will be niche.

And of course space engineers is, it's minecraft in space.

The problem with greenlight is, that A LOT of people will be able to play the game. All those players will have bugs and such to report, and this large an influx could be too much for this relatively small development team to handle. This would mean disappointed players with negative reviews that could break the game before release (like the first version of DayZ where the creator was pretty much chastised by the internet). I would still play, but it would be a shame for the team. I think their current approach works best for them (at least at this stage in development).

• Like 1

Green-light is for any game wanting to get onto steam that doesn't have a publisher agreement in place. Essentially is what indies need to do to get onto steam.

As I understand it, Game-Labs is a Developer, and unless they want to sign up with a publisher that has an existing Steam agreement, they'll have to go through greenlight to get onto steam. 

In the current steam system you need to get voted to be on steam and open early access. So Greenlight is a pre-requisite

We are considering various options 

And once Gettysburg is launched we might not need to Green light at all.

How so? You advertise Naval Action when ppl open Gettysburg? It's that not everyone visits this forum, as people buy the game on steam, then play it.

I would like to see Naval Action integrated into Steam. It helps with billing for in game store, with updates and news.

If you're after population, greenlight is best. for selected testers, something like the current system is fine.

How so? You advertise Naval Action when ppl open Gettysburg? It's that not everyone visits this forum, as people buy the game on steam, then play it.

no - you might not need to go through greenlight again if you have one game shipped on steam. but we are not 100% sure. 

no - you might not need to go through greenlight again if you have one game shipped on steam. but we are not 100% sure. 

HMmm... Good point. I've not seen anyone put 2 games though Greenlight. I thought it was an avenue for indies to get on (no Publisher), but I wonder if once you have an agreement in place....   

Though, from the sounds of it, Greenlight might be pulled in the not too distant future. 

HMmm... Good point. I've not seen anyone put 2 games though Greenlight. I thought it was an avenue for indies to get on (no Publisher), but I wonder if once you have an agreement in place....   

Though, from the sounds of it, Greenlight might be pulled in the not too distant future. 

Ya I have a faint memory of reading the intended shutdown of greenlight in the future too...

Steam's Greenlight will be pulled off. Despite the system being a great tool for Indie game developers, the fact that the market is being saturated with indie games is bad. As a very interesting game might be not easily accessed due to all the other, less interesting, games out there.

Steam is thinking about giving more control to the developers, the way their game is publicized. Like a store for each studio.

This is what I've found on the web so far. 

• 2 months later...

The problem with greenlight is, that A LOT of people will be able to play the game. All those players will have bugs and such to report, and this large an influx could be too much for this relatively small development team to handle. This would mean disappointed players with negative reviews that could break the game before release (like the first version of DayZ where the creator was pretty much chastised by the internet). I would still play, but it would be a shame for the team. I think their current approach works best for them (at least at this stage in development).

Whole heartedly agree. I think the attention this would get from Steam would be awesome when they have some way of people throwing money at them but as for the amount of tech support they would need to provide for the multitude of testers... I think that would draw a lot more energy than the devs have whilst in the alpha phase.

NA will be put on green light as soon as we are ready. 

There are several things we have to fix or test before we can promise something on steam. 

Greenlight is being shut down by Valve, so you may not want to bank on it.