Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

pirates of the burning seas is a dead game,,why? becouse they allowed people to play all sides of the war at the same time,,multiple accounts can kill a game,,in the open seas i can see some speed up to go to places but the world still must be big enough that it still takes some time to get to the far side of the world,,not sure yet about ur economy and how we are going to pay for ships,but the ships should be in relation to thier actual real life performance,,each ship should be unique and be able to perform the task that it was dezyned to do,,there shud be no bad ships,,the game sounds promising and i will surely show up and play when the game is ready,,however i would not go down the path that the pirates of the burning seas did,,stay the course of your own ideas and make this world better with so many things to do and discover that you cant do them all in 5 years of play and i think u will have a winner...

• Like 1

well if the open world will have the size we expect after the last anoucment you will spend alot of time since we dont ahve just the carebean but alos the british channel and who knows how many areas will come.

and we dont have allready these fancy magic skills that potbs has we have only controll about: ruder,trimming of the sails, crew focus: sailing, gunnery, survival.

no secret items that are placed in an habour that you would proberly never visit. and dont get me started about the jetski behavior of the PvP ships they added recently.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a complex question: thus the answer is simple - we are not sure yet, on one hand we would like to have a good ship variety, on the other seeing a columbus caravel near a modern frigate built in 1815 might cause problems for some hardcore realism fans. If you have ideas in this regard, please post your suggestions. 

• We are using Unity Engine - which is excellent for fast prototyping and testing. 
  • Networking - we are working on the design at this stage. We will be able to answer this question a bit later. The question to discuss with the community is this - What is the optimal number of ships on the map from gameplay perspective? And what is the optimal number of ships to have a fun and balanced fight. 
  • The development is staged as TV series. We release blocks of content step by step. Instead of focusing on many things we only work on one but try to make it perfect. We are currently focused on fighting and general mechanics. Once we and you like how it works this awesome fighting will work very well with any story with co-op. Would be great to hear from you in the suggestions box  some examples of your ideal co-op gameplay for you and your friends. 

Making realism fun is very hard. But good trade-offs are possible. Let's take your Frigate vs First rate situation: in most cases First rate will win. But there are real life examples of British frigates winning against 74s and 80gun ships, because of skill, better maneuver or pure luck. 

and the fact that maybe it might take 3 frigates to bring 1 1st rate down also

yeah you would not take a frigate against a 1st rate ship of the line in most cases but you could take on a 1st rate if you had 3 frigates,,ship of the line was something to be feared,,and good cause,,they are dangerous,,and should be..you dont want to sacrifice reasonable game play for instant gratification,,we have all the actual performance specs for all these ships and they should be as close to that as possible,,so we can get the feel of what it took to sail and win battels back in those days,

boarding enemy ships and winning avcom combat should be a awesome feat of dareing and skill,,for the prize,,just know its always best not to insult our intelect with gameplay nintendo kiddie land stuff,,,you can keep the game close enough to realism and performance and also tune the game for inteligent gameplay, fun and practical online gameing,without insulting us with ridiculous cartoon fast fixes,,take your time,,do it right the 1st time and think before you program,,most of us gamers will gladly support the game with enough cash for those programming in the games best interest and not  speacial interest groups or bow down to the whine and cryers.over money..dezyne your world and use good hard facts and physics to support your theorys and and stand your ground,,then sit back and watch the loyalty,,the game will win every time when in service to the game best interest,,working to and for the games best interest with the best technology of the day has to offer, will make the game a winner,,just remember always try to make it hard as possible for any one to cheat in your world,,your game..veyron

seen some of your vids and noticed ur guns ready to fire diagram is in the middle of the screen,,transparent but still blocking our view,,that to me wud be irratating,,,do uyou think you can reposition that to a smaller detail on a side bar and to the side of the screen?,,personly dont like my field of view to be impared,,belive all relative information can be shown in smaller detail on the sides or upper areas of the screen.

I'm kind of confused on how the multiplayer battles are done. This is an mmo right ? Does that mean the battles will be instanced or where does the sandbox part fit in? Thank you.

most likely a pop up appears for battel and u are taken to a battelfield then u may get rhe chance to run and click out or stand and fight,,not sure,,but ive seen other games do this

• 2 weeks later...

alright will there be a way to explore the ship like you could in potco(yes i use to play that) 

i already know the dynamic weather will well may be included once they get it out 

i do however wonder if you will beable to add a single player mode where you can get the feel of the game before you jump in to multi player or have a single player story mode

I have a problem with not having sail movement while underway, the flags are flapping in the wind, way not sails.  Also the lack of sail damage in battle, cannon ball holes, torn sails and mast damage. I know this takes time in development and you maybe working it.  I hope so. I look forward to game and I will pre-order it.  Regards Toggman

This video is from an earlier version of the game.

If you skim through the forum and look for lets say: sail damage or ball holes you will soon find threads regarding this.

We have both visuals alrready.

And if your sails are trimmed correctly you wont have any flapping of canvas. Unless your on a close haul and your helmsmen are lazy men.

So.. its best for you to check out some of the screenshot and youtube threads. They show more than this sole video can.

Will it be possible to instead of joining a Nation or alliance, to be a pirate instead? Like to loot ships that you find in the open world.  And if so, would you include drawbacks to portraying yourself as a pirate? Perhaps a "bad resume" if you ever choose to stop pirating and try to join a Nation?  Thanks in advance. 

1. when can we know what we can be,,a pirate,naval officer,,privateer.  

2. will there be ships that only certain types are allowed.,,it was said no classes,,but things might change

3.i belive any one should have any ship in the game if they can afford it.,,i need to know about the ships becouse if the xebec is introduced and im not allowed to have it,,i would be sad,

Looks like this will be a very cool game. I guess that STEAM is a nessessity? I have Steam, but haven't been able to access my games for almost three months. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. lol  Also... will Bitcoin be accepted in the future? A lot of us gamers mine.

Forgive me if this was asked, but will the world be lively with NPC ships? Will there be trade routes countries use to interact with each other? or will players make up all the ships in the open sea?

Will character creation be like eve online where you make a character and then you are just a picture for people to look at?

Will there be naming conventions or will names like XiXSepherothXiX420BLZitXiX be acceptable?

What will happen when my 20$ pre-order yacht gets destroyed, do I lose it forever?

Again forgive me if these were asked already.

Cheers.

Will there be naming conventions or will names like XiXSepherothXiX420BLZitXiX be acceptable?

What will happen when my 20$ pre-order yacht gets destroyed, do I lose it forever?

Good points!

That Id like to know, too. But since we have no clue about the economy system until now.. Devs may not know, too. :P

Trade routes is beeing dicussed over :http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/311-automated-trading-routes-auto-convoy/

So.. There is a chance for this to happen.

I guess that STEAM is a nessessity?

Yep Its only running through steam. (I know mirones already said this)