Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

BungeeLemming:

not only in bad weather, but it gives you advantage in most sea conditions. smaller ships would be more affected by waves than larger ones. Another important fact to consider is the size of gun deck - large ships could have larger gun crew, with more space around, which had big impact on reloading speed, so there was a quite difference firing 12pdr from Ship of the line and firing same gun from a Frigate, or smaller vessel..

thats totally correct.

But in my first question the admin answered me that sea conditions are not yet implemented to sailing/speed caracteristics.

My questions aim at an status wich they may want to do in the future and how the game may look like when finished.

And for reaload times the only difference between smaller and bigger caliber guns were their weight.

The loading process was totally the same. You only needed more guns to man them since you had to ran em out the gunport again.

And there comes another question in my mind that may be too much for realism..

Will crews get exhausted and reload slower when you are fighting like half an hour?

But i dont expect such features since "naval action" is going to be a game, not a simulator

This may have been covered before. I might have missed it.

Bearing in mind that everything took a long time: moving, turning, reloading guns etc. Will there be an aspect of time or distance compression?

Will great guns take circa 1-2 minutes to reload?

Will 7knts really mean that it will take an hour to cover 7 miles?

On the real world vs fantasy, I can see where you are coming from with the fantasy map i.e. actual exploration, but I think during the period that you are considering most of the worlds coastlines at least were fairly well mapped out...

There has to be time compression or we'd all be old men by the time we got anywhere.

In the 3D battlespace settings I hope 7knts means 7 nautical miles in 1 hour, as it should.

Out on the open campaign map I would expect ships to travel MUCH faster, a lot of time compression, at least 10x, maybe even 25x.

I would prefer not to se distance compressed because ten you may get lots of small islands and such in what is really a very compact area, all of which would hamper sailing room in a battle.

Out on the open campaign map I would expect ships to travel MUCH faster, a lot of time compression, at least 10x, maybe even 25x.

I would prefer not to se distance compressed because ten you may get lots of small islands and such in what is really a very compact area, all of which would hamper sailing room in a battle.

I this will be world map and we can freely sail on this map. Can say whats time compression should be? Whats with weather behavior? Will sea currents display on it? wind fronts ect. What with battle points (crossed swords on potbs) will be similar here?

There is a lot small details which must be decited.

Hi there

I got one more question: how many people actually work on this project ? And one more: do u have some estimated date for relase?

cheers

5 programmers 3 artists. Alpha Test #1 will be done somewhere in end of August- September

• Like 1

5 programmers 3 artists. Alpha Test #1 will be done somewhere in end of August- September

that's good news, but a question is what are the year ranges for ships being included in the game?

1. Could there be galleys in the game ?

2. How will you model the sea and the weather ?

3. Will the economy in the Open World be based on PvE grinding (missions or NPC fleets) ?

4. Do you already know if there will be multiple Open World servers ?

1. Could there be galleys in the game ?

2. How will you model the sea and the weather ?

3. Will the economy in the Open World be based on PvE grinding (missions or NPC fleets) ?

4. Do you already know if there will be multiple Open World servers ?

1) galleys are planned but not at this stage

2) we have briefly covered sea and weather before. not sure what you mean by model the sea. weather changes will be done at a later stage

3) economy will be based on crafting and trading - no NPC grinding will be forced on the player

4) we are working on the design of this feature, that will allow one server but will not crowd the map with 1000 ships near a popular port (layered world)

2) I found this:

2) we will start researching and testing our ideas with dynamic weather, day and night cycle in August September

By model the sea, I mean

1) Will the ships move directly depending on the sea (the waves) ?

2) If not (i.e. a ship would have pre-determined motion depending on the waves parameters), what would be the waves parameters (speed of the waves, distance between 2 waves, height of the waves) ?

Not a question here.

4) we are working on the design of this feature, that will allow one server but will not crowd the map with 1000 ships near a popular port (layered world)

I'd rather not have invisible ships.

Wouldn't that create some sort of unrealistic feeling ? Especially when it comes to conquest. Also, a server community is from my point of view important in an MMO. Sometimes, the language barrier can also be huge (cyrillic/latin alphabet).

So I'd prefer at least a few servers that would enable to actually meet and know the players we are fighting with or against. If the open world isn't built around few important ports, players would be spread across the map.

Not 1000 there, but 100 ships can make for a good naval force on navigation view:

mrm.png

• Like 1

So will be no  eve online "Jita" in Naval Action :)

I think is good decision, some balance between realism and game engine must be done. One hundred ship in one place on map should be enought for a lot of confusion. I think in hisotry of sail ships, there were no such a big number vessels in one place. ( maybe great ports or blockades but these ships were extensted on several miles of sea , not in one point.

And we got another question ,does ships will colide with self on open sea map? ( in potbs they sail throught).

• 2 weeks later...

Boarding combat will be Empire total war like or more realistical potbs like (if  you ,,maybe,, include avatars in the future as you said ). Will it be ETW like at the begning?

Crafting and Trading like SWG? i am sorry but i am not familiar with SWG . Will you be able to see your stuff realistically ? or just icons and calculations like in potbs?

a question to shiptypes:

Will there be differences between Ships of the same type but different nation/ design bureaus?

Like the French vs the british 74 gun ship of the line?

British ships were built more "armored" but French/Spanish ships had much better sailing characteristics..

In fact the 74 gun ship came up in france and britain copied the design.

Same story with the 38 gun frigate.. The french design was said to be faster than the british.

OR:

will this difference be done with "ship fittings" like we have in Potbs?

a question to shiptypes:

Will there be differences between Ships of the same type but different nation/ design bureaus?

British ships were built more "armored" but French/Spanish ships had much better sailing characteristics..

In fact the 74 gun ship came up in france and britain copied the design.

Same story with the 38 gun frigate.. The french design was said to be faster than the british.

In the long term best designs were copied by everyone. Take Leda class "Hebe" for example: after capture it was immediately copied by the British and they actually produced more Leda class frigates than french shipyards. By 1817 British Navy had 47 Leda class frigates built. So is it a french frigate or a british one?

• Like 1

Reading all of this, I have to say, that I echo what Digby has been saying about real world maps, particularly maps of areas that HAVEN'T been done yet in a game like this.

Going back to an earlier post (I forget who's), while I agree that I'd like to see this where we have PvP option for fleet battles, I'd also like to see that for factions that there IS a pirate option allowed for the PvP.  Of course, I would say this...but I digress.

I think that perhaps for the game play where there is trading and whatnot, then, yes you follow a more realistic model, in that you certainly WON'T have pirate fleets.  But, allow for pirate fleets for PvP as clans, yes?

Going more with the pirate aspect, if you're not restricting yourself to the Caribbean, you have Barbary pirates you can have as NPC, in the Orient, you DO have pirate fleets.  Ching Shih comes to mind there.

Are you going to allow modding for PvP, where we can set up battles with different types of ships, fleet vs fleet (clan v clan)?  We used to do that with Age of Sail II quite a bit, making battle mods.  

As to shiptypes, I see where you're coming from there.  Strictly from a programming and modelling standpoint, you need to have homogeny.  It'll certainly make it easier on you in the long term.

Is there going to be different types of shot allowed?

Are the armaments on the ships, going to be set more according to historical ship type?