Game-Labs Forum

Long Distance Navigation

I just tried to sail from Port of Spain (Trinidad) to Santa Domingo, (Dominican Republic). I did not use teleport but tried the hard way by navigating. I was able to stick the course (largely) and when I had to deviate due to wind and attacks I compensated the course later. I had estimated the journey would take about 3 days. After 6 days sailing with no land spotted (but occasional ships) I gave up and teleported. Is there a problem long distance navigating? Its hard to see how it would be possible to miss a land mass and I must have sailed about 1500 nautical miles. Has anybody else completed a long sea voyage? I think whatever the answer it re-enforces the need for some sort of navigation mode. I have had no trouble island hopping from Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico all the way down the island chain to Trinidad and along Venezuela. But this is my second attempt at a long sea passage with same result both times (except first time no teleport mode available and I had t restart my career).  

i have personally sailed from the dutch main port of oranjestad to the port of willemstad several times, without any problem what so ever.

i've also done some extensive exploring, all the way from oranjestad downwards to trinidad, west to panama, north bound till cuba.

In my experience its not that hard, just keep a keep eye on where you are sailing and try to find landmarks on the way.

P.S. it takes about 5 days from oranjestad to willemstad, so i figure yours should at least be seven or even more

Edited by SteelSandwich

Sir Cloudsley. Many thanks. This is an excellent tool and will make it easy to record changes in direction.  I am still at a loss though how I got it so wrong and why I never saw any land at all. I will repeat the journey in the opposite direction when I get a favorable wind using your map to see if I can do better.

If this is the case perhaps I am misunderstand the speed indicator shown on the compass. I was sure that I averaged about 10 to 12 kn (on the compass) which should have made my journey less that 3 days? I admit that speeds of 18 kn indicated on the compass appear very high? Is this speed indicator perhaps the accelerated speed? If this is the case then it would explain why my calculation was so far out. Does anyone know how much the time is speeded up in transit mode so that I can recalculate?

Hi Seaman! I've been doing nothing but travelling & exploring, battling as I go, I sailed from St. Johns in Antigua  to Jamaica in 11.5 days in a Navy Brig and hit landfall bang on the nose! (chuffed).

I have been logging ports and co-ordinates on an old 1860's map I found and I .pdf'd it so I could add the comments, still doing that but check

out the link below and read the details on Booyaah's thread in the maps section. lots of people are adding info and it's very useful when navigating long distance on the open seas. You can get a pretty accurate fix on position with all the x & z co-ordinates as reference points. Happy sailing!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=znKaQtPyLToc.kgARZbleaCZo

I doubt you sailed 1500 nautical miles, I very much doubt that.  Considering the route you wanted to take was only 600 some nautical miles in all.  In a Coni (which is faster than Surprise and down), your journey would have taken about 1.5 to 2 hours.  That is 4-6 in game days if you don't get in a battle and you don't change course.  In all the other ships except the Trinc, the journey would take a lot more time.

Well there is no reason to brag about hitting Jamaica on the nose if you sail along the coasts of the other islands enroute so maybe he went out to sea a bit then took a westerly heading and then another heading to make landfall. That is a good accomplishment imo if he stayed out of sight of land the whole time. It may account for his "11" days.

Distance was based on time multiplied by the (average) speed counter on the compass i.e. 6 days x 24 hours x 11 = 1584. This makes me suspicious about the indicated speed. I am going to do some trials between fixed points to see if this is the case.

I doubt you sailed 1500 nautical miles, I very much doubt that.  Considering the route you wanted to take was only 600 some nautical miles in all.  In a Coni (which is faster than Surprise and down), your journey would have taken about 1.5 to 2 hours.  That is 4-6 in game days if you don't get in a battle and you don't change course.  In all the other ships except the Trinc, the journey would take a lot more time.

Not bragging, just pointing out that with the tools available it is indeed possible to travel long distances out of sight of land, the last land I saw before setting off was Bassterre. I fought battles and tacked against adverse winds so the 11.5 days was deep sea sailing with 'deviations' from a straight line course so the actual track taken was much longer in nm. Just trying to give people confidence to voyage the OW and see the sights! 

Distance was based on time multiplied by the (average) speed counter on the compass i.e. 6 days x 24 hours x 11 = 1584. This makes me suspicious about the indicated speed. I am going to do some trials between fixed points to see if this is the case.

What ship were you in?  And also realize that your estimation of time and distance is skewed by traveling at a different angle when the wind is against you and to avoid battles.  19.2 minutes is an in game day.  So if you were in a battle for 20 minutes, you have to essentially ignore a day of sailing in your calculations.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...