Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

10 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

To ship parts in general, or some parts on some specific hulls?
Because I'm in the process of designing a lot of ships for an upcoming campaign...

I will rework the destroyers hulls 1 to 4 and some secondary towers from others ship that I dislike, and I will replace with other towers or simple add new ones.

If you want to design ships around 1890-1900, it should be fine. I will probably only remove the BB hull that I made for the Americans, since it is not needed anymore with the new hulls added by the devs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BELEW848 said:

btw is it normal for all my shared designs to be broken after i put the mod in? if so how can i fix them i have spent a long time making ships like the real ones and now there all broken.....

please help

I mean, obviously they will be broken. The mod makes so many changes compared to the vanilla version. Go back to vanilla and and backup them (if you haven't done it already).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the 1980 campaign for Russia Experimental Scout Cruiser when built at the shipyard, it is impossible to put the main tower. 
And on a standard 3-mast cruiser, funnels are placed in the most unexpected places, but not where you need them.

Edited by spinaker

29 minutes ago, spinaker said:

In the 1980 campaign for Russia Experimental Scout Cruiser when built at the shipyard, it is impossible to put the main tower.

Maybe you forgot that you need room for the missile launchers? 😁

y7pPnT1.jpg

Jokes aside. How is it possible for you not have room for the main tower?

31 minutes ago, spinaker said:

And on a standard 3-mast cruiser, funnels are placed in the most unexpected places, but not where you need them.

1TcXkOh.jpg

All normal?

bdwUCMt.jpg

Or maybe you prefer the main tower in the bow to have more room for the funnel? Where is the issue here?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

Может быть, вы забыли, что вам нужно место для ракетных установок? 😁

y7pPnT1.jpg

Шутки в сторону. Как это возможно, что у вас нет места для главной башни?

1TcXkOh.jpg

Все нормально?

bdwUCMt.jpg

Или, может быть, вы предпочитаете, чтобы в главной башне в носовой части было больше места для воронки? В чем здесь проблема?

Yes, I see. Apparently, something is messed up with the game files. There are screenshots, but I can't put them here.
Thanks for the answer, I'll figure it out.

Do you plan in the future to change the model of the German 5" guns to the Advanced Armored Cruiser hull, so that it is possible to recreate the Deutschland class more precisely in relation to the secondary artillery it had? I believe you know that some other hulls have similar problems, so actually I think this question is more general for all of them.

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Doh!  

To quote my favorite parody of Monty Python (sung to the lumberjack song)  

I'm an Idiot and I'm OK  I work all night and sleep all day. :D

It happens 😁 Talking about the English file, I need to update that with the recent changes by the devs.

EDIT: English file updated

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, brothermunro said:

Any way you can tone down the AI's love of submarines @o Barão? Japan is sitting in 1920 with 100+ subs and nothing else 😅 I am keenly aware this is a problem in the normal unmodded game as well, I would actually love a submarine-less NAR but I know not everyone hates them as much as me!

If you are saying that, then probably I have no control over the AI related to the subs construction policy.

japan_ai,,"Tōgō Heihachirō, Tōgō Heihachirō, Tōgō Heihachirō, Shimamura Hayao, Yamamoto Isoroku, Yamamoto Isoroku",0.66,1,0.99,0.198,0.572,4,2.2,1.1,,,2.933333333,1.65,,2,"buildRatio(bc;1.2), buildRatio(bb;1.2), buildRatio(ca;1.2), buildRatio(dd;2), buildRatio(cl;2), buildRatio(tb;2), buildRatio(ss;1.5), TechMod(torpedo_size;3000), TechMod(torpedo_tubes;3000), TechMod(torpedo_prop;3000), TechMod(hull_construction;4000)",5.866666667,0.825,2.42,,,

This above, is the ship building policy that I made for Japan. The subs are at 1.5, which is lower than tb, dds and cl. I don't expect Japan to have around 125 tbs, 125 dds and 125 cls in your game, right? So is not working properly. :(

Confirm to me what are the numbers for the dds and tbs in the Japanese navy, just to make sure. Then maybe I can tweak the sub number to have an impact in the gameplay. I hope.🙏

By the way, I didn't have the time to see all your ships, but in general are very good. Nice.👍

One things I dislike though is that your American BBs from 1911 are lacking any secondaries. Can you consider improve those hulls?

• Like 1

I have heard so much good about this mod. Excited to see that it seems to be up-to-date with latest game version! Just downloaded and looking forward to getting into it. Thanks for all your work o Barão!

ADDIT: one small suggestion I'd offer for the mod. Having launched and started a new campaign, everything seems to be working fine. If I'm not mistaken, some of the UI elements in the initial screens are slightly different than in vanilla? Maybe it is just my imagination?

In any event, if a graphics person can be "recruited" to do 15 to 30 minutes of work, and assuming it is possible to overlay a new image into some of the initial screens, presenting a clear sign to the user that the mod is active is always a good idea. For example, the ship icon that appears in the upper left in some screens could have "Naval Arms Race" added to the image.

-=-=-=-

ADDIT2: and yeah, once I get into the campaign I can DEFINITELY see a lot of visual changes to the UI, camera positioning (even on the campaign map), etc. So . . .my immediate puzzlement "is the mod running?" As I was launching and getting a new campaign spun up was completely dispelled. As such, the suggstion is not nearly as practical as I thought.

Still, if it is not difficult, always good to promote your "brand!" 

Edited by Anthropoid
suggestion/edit suggestion

23 minutes ago, Anthropoid said:

...presenting a clear sign to the user that the mod is active is always a good idea.

Already in game.

When you start the game click on "News" and you will read the mod title above.

Also in the dockyard you will see the "scout plane" add on and the changes to the armor descriptions that are unique from this mod.

Have fun! :)

• Like 1

Just started an Austro-Hungarian 1890 campaign, the Belted Cruiser and Heavy Torpedo Cruiser don't have access to any funnels. The funnels it has access to; (Angled Funnel (Ultra Enhanced), Standard Funnel (Ultra Enhanced), Angled Funnel (Enhanced) and Standard Funnel (Enhanced)) in the shared designer need the level 2 funnel tech. My guess is that the tag CL_Zenda isn't included in the Angled Funnel or Standard Funnel.

• Thanks 1

BETA v1.1.1 N.A.R. changelog:

• Funnels missing for the A-H Belted cruiser and Heavy Torpedo Cruiser missing in the campaign issue fixed.*
  • Main towers for the experimental scout cruiser missing in the campaign issue fixed.*

* I didn't have the time for testing, but it should be working now. Maybe it needs a new campaign to see the changes.

Also, the "English" file was updated today. Download and apply to get the new changes added by the devs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.1.1 - for UAD v1.4.0.4R

Was removing needunlock(smallearlyfunnels_level_2) from the Angled Funnel (Enhanced) and Standard Funnel (Enhanced) the best move, as that unlocks those funnels earlier for a lot of nations cruisers. However changing need(CL_small;CL_small_3Mast_SpanishFunnels) to need(CL_small;CL_small_3Mast_SpanishFunnels;CL_Zenda) on the Angled Funnel and Standard Funnel would have fixed the issue with the AH Belted Cruiser and Heavy Torpedo Cruiser. It feels a bit odd that these two hulls don't have non enchanced funnels at all.

So I understand this mod sort of "fixes" the way in which the player can provoke opportunities to take over Minor powers? Having played exclusively Japan 1890 campaign starts, I can say with certainty that it is damn near impossible for a Japan player to achieve anything like the historical 1894 "takeover" (basically annexation by virtue of vassalization) of the Korean Peninsula.

Does the mod make this a possibility?

If so, I'd assume the "trick" is to just: build as much tonnage as possible and then park it next to Korean ports (or at least in the adjoining sea regions)?

Edited by Anthropoid

Not gonna answer for o Barão here but proper minors usually is no problem. But the mediums, aka the ones you can ally with and sell to, are abit worse. Especially if they are allied to a major you are not at war with.

Speaking frommy experience not taking in to consideration what o Barão has done in his mod

14 minutes ago, MDHansen said:

Not gonna answer for o Barão here but proper minors usually is no problem. But the mediums, aka the ones you can ally with and sell to, are abit worse. Especially if they are allied to a major you are not at war with.

Speaking frommy experience not taking in to consideration what o Barão has done in his mod

Do I have the mechanism correct for the Minors? Build a bunch of tonnage and park it next to their ports/sea regions?

Cannot wait to have an endless supply of Kimchi and Kpop girl bands . . .

11 hours ago, o Barão said:

If you are saying that, then probably I have no control over the AI related to the subs construction policy.

japan_ai,,"Tōgō Heihachirō, Tōgō Heihachirō, Tōgō Heihachirō, Shimamura Hayao, Yamamoto Isoroku, Yamamoto Isoroku",0.66,1,0.99,0.198,0.572,4,2.2,1.1,,,2.933333333,1.65,,2,"buildRatio(bc;1.2), buildRatio(bb;1.2), buildRatio(ca;1.2), buildRatio(dd;2), buildRatio(cl;2), buildRatio(tb;2), buildRatio(ss;1.5), TechMod(torpedo_size;3000), TechMod(torpedo_tubes;3000), TechMod(torpedo_prop;3000), TechMod(hull_construction;4000)",5.866666667,0.825,2.42,,,

This above, is the ship building policy that I made for Japan. The subs are at 1.5, which is lower than tb, dds and cl. I don't expect Japan to have around 125 tbs, 125 dds and 125 cls in your game, right? So is not working properly. :(

Confirm to me what are the numbers for the dds and tbs in the Japanese navy, just to make sure. Then maybe I can tweak the sub number to have an impact in the gameplay. I hope.🙏

By the way, I didn't have the time to see all your ships, but in general are very good. Nice.👍

One things I dislike though is that your American BBs from 1911 are lacking any secondaries. Can you consider improve those hulls?

Japan has literally nothing except submarines 😂 I’ll try to grab a screenshot when I can tomorrow. Other nations have built a fair few but that one stood out. I appreciate your efforts to try and restrain the AI’s love of underwater boats!

Out of curiosity, what happens if you set the AI build preference modifier to *zero* for a ship type? Will they not build them at all or does it just make it very unlikely?

Edited by brothermunro

12 hours ago, o Barão said:

Ijapan_ai,,"Tōgō Heihachirō, Tōgō Heihachirō, Tōgō Heihachirō, Shimamura Hayao, Yamamoto Isoroku, Yamamoto Isoroku",0.66,1,0.99,0.198,0.572,4,2.2,1.1,,,2.933333333,1.65,,2,"buildRatio(bc;1.2), buildRatio(bb;1.2), buildRatio(ca;1.2), buildRatio(dd;2), buildRatio(cl;2), buildRatio(tb;2), buildRatio(ss;1.5), TechMod(torpedo_size;3000), TechMod(torpedo_tubes;3000), TechMod(torpedo_prop;3000), TechMod(hull_construction;4000)",5.866666667,0.825,2.42,,,

This above, is the ship building policy that I made for Japan.

Not 100% sure how it works in game, but is that AI policy for Japan as a whole, or only for one of their Admirals (and it changes whenever he's fired)?

Also, I have no idea if it's possible, but if you could somehow prevent the AI from always using all 3 of its research priorities, that would probably help it out a lot.

Edited by Panzergraf

5 hours ago, Anthropoid said:

So I understand this mod sort of "fixes" the way in which the player can provoke opportunities to take over Minor powers? Having played exclusively Japan 1890 campaign starts, I can say with certainty that it is damn near impossible for a Japan player to achieve anything like the historical 1894 "takeover" (basically annexation by virtue of vassalization) of the Korean Peninsula.

Does the mod make this a possibility?

If so, I'd assume the "trick" is to just: build as much tonnage as possible and then park it next to Korean ports (or at least in the adjoining sea regions)?

I really don't remember what this does, but I doubled the value in comparison to vanilla game.

major_nation_threat_chance,0.5,,,,,,,,

So I think it can help to create situations to invade minors, but I am not sure.

I think you need at least 100k tons to provoke a war against a minor, but again I don't remember exactly.

1 hour ago, brothermunro said:

Japan has literally nothing except submarines 😂

Shit. 😅

1 hour ago, brothermunro said:

Out of curiosity, what happens if you set the AI build preference modifier to *zero* for a ship type? Will they not build them at all or does it just make it very unlikely?

I have no idea. But if you want to disable subs just open the "submarines" file and remove all subs entries.

57 minutes ago, MDHansen said:

I use (ss;0.1) for every country. seems to keep the subs in the lower double digits, rarely over 20 for the big countries

Ok, thanks!

13 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

Not 100% sure how it works in game, but is that AI policy for Japan as a whole, or only for one of their Admirals (and it changes whenever he's fired)?

For the country as a whole.

14 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

Also, I have no idea if it's possible, but if you could somehow prevent the AI from always using all 3 of its research priorities, that would probably help it out a lot.

I never saw that option.

• Like 2