Game-Labs Forum

UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.4.0.5 R2]

admiralsnackbar

1 minute ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Not much I can do about that. My preference would be that, given that 1.2.4 was highly stable, 1.2.5 would have been released on the beta branch. Had I tried to update the mod for 1.2.5 i would have been overridden by two subsequent patches over the course of a day. 

Note that a game like mount and blade which has far more people working on it, and is now in official release [b/c game console] still has a split beta and live branch because bug squashing is mostly outsourced to the player base. 

Its impressive and depressing in equal measure how quickly they fix bugs yet ignore our feedback on everything else.

3 minutes ago, SpardaSon21 said:

Its impressive and depressing in equal measure how quickly they fix bugs yet ignore our feedback on everything else.

it's 1 maybe 2 people actually doing 

Adding features takes time, tweaking code and fixing game breaking bugs takes less time and adds more value. 

The only feedback I think they should have taken to heart was against the submarine and mine features. 

6 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

it's 1 maybe 2 people actually doing 

Adding features takes time, tweaking code and fixing game breaking bugs takes less time and adds more value. 

The only feedback I think they should have taken to heart was against the submarine and mine features. 

And yet they implemented that gun barrel accuracy change despite people's biggest concerns being low deck pen... which was added in almost immediately after gun barrel length could be tweaked in response to an off-hand comment by someone and hasn't been adjusted or tweaked since despite being based on flawed inputs.

Oh, and then they added the length techs to an already over-loaded tech category after people complained about how they could max length for range and accuracy and the AI would not.

Edited by SpardaSon21
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

And yet they implemented that gun barrel accuracy change despite people's biggest concerns being low deck pen... which was added in almost immediately after gun barrel length could be tweaked in response to an off-hand comment by someone and hasn't been adjusted or tweaked since despite being based on flawed inputs.

Do you want to laught/cry ? 

The deck pen issue is only caused by 2 multipliers.

From the top of my head Minimal gun lenght get its deck pen multiplied by 3 something, while Maximal is multiplied by 0.3 something.

Setting those values closer to 1 provide sensible numbers : longer gun have slightly worse maximal deck pen at a given range, but better one in the extended range bracket

I hope those are just forgotten left over from a previous balistic formula like the inactive "max_gun_length_mod", because otherwise it is voluntary sabotage.

params, New gun caliber modifiers, gun_length_penetration_horiz_min and gun_length_penetration_horiz_max,

All the gun customisation stuff is there, it is a matter of minute to set them to okish number, a couples hours of editing/testing should tweak the current balistic model into something much closer to real physic despite major flaws on the principles running it.

An exemple of those flaws is how accuracy is linked with range when it shouldn't at all. This makes cordite 1 the best powder ever and is certainely a big factor into the vannilla overestimation of gun lenght impact.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:09 AM, Vilab said:

- putting hardcaps to armor

"shipTypes-resource.assets" is where you will find that.

Also, from the same file is possible to do some interesting things. Like removing smoke from the game.

Or remove/rework damage modifier, from guns and torpedoes. Special note to the values used in TBs and DDs. So if you think they are too survival in battle, this is probably why.

Also interesting to see a mention to Auxiliary Cruisers class. Maybe something the devs planned to do at some point in the game development. Would be interesting to see.

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

"shipTypes-resource.assets" is where you will find that.

[...]

I saw that, but even turning the damage reduction the other arround doesn't help that much for torpedoes on DD, the damage - even massively increased - is still very localized and it take 3+ torpedos to sink a DD alone. This is still an improvement.

What i can't do is editing the mk3 turrets for France, i know where it is ( partModels ), and i "know" what and how to replace, but if i replace a turret's data it turns partModels to unnamed and unusable.

It must be an issue with how i edit stuff, the only thing i can change without destroying the files are numerical values or descriptions. 

45 minutes ago, Vilab said:

What is the UABE version you are using to extract the files?

I am asking this, because I am using UABEA, however this give me errors sometimes when saving the file. This can be a user error when editing the files, but still too common.

I tried to use the UABE 2.2 version but fails to open the file and if I try the 3.0 version the antivírus warns me of possible issues. Can be a false positive, but still. 

36 minutes ago, o Barão said:

[...]

The issue is visible when importing the TextAsset back into UABE, instead of partModels 8228 modified * i get unnamed 8228 modified *.

I use UABE 3.0, and yes it make antiviruses go crazy because of its origin, google Chrome yelled about it, so i used Microsoft Edge to download it, then defender yelled about it, i ignored it and once downloaded i scanned the files : no alarm whatsoever. 

• Like 1

nD0Q165.png

Well, this maybe can help someone, so I think it would be better to share.

Instead of exporting raw and Importing raw, which was giving me many issues with files edited in notepad++, I suggest to simple use the plug in to export and import in .txt format. Edit the file, save in .txt and import. I didn't have any issues using this method.

• Thanks 1

Your UABE interface is much nicer looking than mine, i also have nothing in the plugin options for Text Assets.

I tried UABE 2.2 just now but it refuses to open any ASSETS File, even vannilla ones : " Error, invalid bundle or version"

EDIT : I AM BLIND, i would have sweared there was nothing showing up by clicking on "plugin" with a TextAsset selected. 

Back to editing from scratch.

Edited by Vilab
i can't see

1 hour ago, Vilab said:

Your UABE interface is much nicer looking than mine, i also have nothing in the plugin options for Text Assets.

This is the UABEA

https://github.com/nesrak1/UABEA

Have the dark theme that make it easier to look at it. Also, a filter option to just select what you want to see and direct save option. QoL features to speed up the process. Maybe something similar is possible in the regular UABE but I didn't find it.

O81oCuy.png

Edited by o Barão
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:56 AM, o Barão said:

This is the UABEA

https://github.com/nesrak1/UABEA

Have the dark theme that make it easier to look at it. Also, a filter option to just select what you want to see and direct save option. QoL features to speed up the process. Maybe something similar is possible in the regular UABE but I didn't find it.

O81oCuy.png

This has some quality of life that i would like to use, but I am unsure how to go from looking at a given file like 'guns' and replacing it using this version of UABE. It doesn't let me import using anything other than a text file AFAICT.

1 hour ago, admiralsnackbar said:

This has some quality of life that i would like to use, but I am unsure how to go from looking at a given file like 'guns' and replacing it using this version of UABE. It doesn't let me import using anything other than a text file AFAICT.

Which is why you export a section to .txt file using the "Export .txt" function under plugins and when you open it in something like Notepad++ you get this:
image.thumb.png.b533477a59995a61e70839293ae67998.png

6 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

At first, I was using the import raw / export raw method, and it worked for me in UABEA, but of course then I had the issues I mentioned. It is a limitation for you to work and save the file in .txt to import to UABEA?

About the mod, can you teach me the process to increase CA initial tonnage to 7k tons in the campaign? Also, the process you are using to edit gun's accuracy values?

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

About the mod, can you teach me the process to increase CA initial tonnage to 7k tons in the campaign? Also, the process you are using to edit gun's accuracy values?

"technologies" :

hull_cruiser_24,hull_cruiser,,"7,000 tons Heavy Cruiser",1893,,23,"start, tonnage(ca;7000)",,,"Allows the construction of CA class Cruiser up to 7,000 tons displacement","Allows the construction of CA class Cruiser up to 7,000 tons displacement",,

and add the same start ( Op's method ) or # or bump the year to 1950+ on the previous tech.

#ing an entire research line such as the submarine's to remove them from the game is a cause of crashes, year bumping is an effective alternative way of getting ride of them if technology progress was narrowed in years in "params".

Accuracy is an horror show due to being linked with range :

"guns" have hitChanceMaxRange,hitChanceCurver,hitChanceMult ( which appear to have been tweaked by OP ), range and accuracy values per mark for each gun caliber.

"partModels" have default turret's gun lenght, but only a masochist would touch that.

"params" have the impacts of gun lenght on both default and customised guns, plus many other settings such as the start and end of "long range effect", impact of target size, speed and maneuvers, impact of own maneuvers...

powder type bonuses in "technologies" have a big effect on range, thus have a big effect on accuracy making cordite 1 the best powder for accuracy despite the visible malus.

UABEA is quite unstable and often crash for me. 

Edited by Vilab
  • Thanks 1

#ing an entire research line such as the submarine's to remove them from the game is a cause of crashes,

This works fine for me. Have done it with Subs

And also using UABEA without any issues (except if I do a boo boo editing a file and try to import and save it)

6 hours ago, o Barão said:

At first, I was using the import raw / export raw method, and it worked for me in UABEA, but of course then I had the issues I mentioned. It is a limitation for you to work and save the file in .txt to import to UABEA?

Vilab is correct. 

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AhR3YVzwEWaUg6FDpbZdDpdQJY90Hg?e=VIexCL 

attached is a link to the excel file that I used to set the values. Basically I calculate calculate the default hitrates in advance at various ranges using the formula, and adjust the 3 parameters vilab mentioned to get the smoothing. 

You can make your own copy and edit it as you see fit. once you figure out how it works it will be a lot faster than making judgemental adjustments and seeing what it looks like ingame. 

• Thanks 1

Thank comrade o Barão, everything works with this program (UABEA).
So far I can’t find where to change the visibility to a more realistic one (increase twice or more), but not change the visibility of all ships' parts (hulls or towers), this is really masochism. I am also looking for where to turn on 6 inch guns for the CA casemate from the start. I just made myself a historical mod, and such as CA Ryurik (Russia, In commission 1895) should have such artillery.

By the way, this CA should have a displacement of 11620 tons, for this we fix only one line in the technologies-resources.assets-8204.dat file:
436      hull_cruiser_29,hull_cruiser,,"12,000 tons Heavy Cruiser",1898,,23,"start, tonnage(ca;12000), unlock(ca_4_italy;...

Same as comrade Vilab wrote above.

Also I changed parameters nation_base_income and shipyardStart according to history (players-resources.assets-8256.dat).

If anyone can help with visibility and secondary artillery, I would be grateful.

Edited by vonPeretz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vonPeretz said:

So far I can’t find where to change the visibility to a more realistic one (increase twice or more), but not change the visibility of all ships' parts (hulls or towers), this is really masochism.

weather_clear,,weather,clear,Clear,5,50,35,39%,,"weather, mission, medium",,
weather_cloud,,weather,cloud,Cloudy,-10,15,17,19%,,"weather, mission",,
weather_cloud_2,,weather,cloud,Cloudy,-10,15,17,19%,,"weather, mission",,
weather_overcast,,weather,overcast,Overcast,-15,-15,4,4%,,weather,,
weather_overcast_2,,weather,overcast,Overcast,-15,-15,4,4%,,weather,,
weather_rain,,weather,rain,Rainy,-20,-10,4,4%,,weather,,
weather_rain_2,,weather,rain,Rainy,-20,-10,4,4%,,weather,,
weather_storm,,weather,storm,Stormy,-30,-20,4,4%,,weather,,

From "accuracies" txt file you can change this modifiers to increase spotting. This is the values I am using at the moment, following a tip from AdmiralSnackbar.

As an example, In my tests, I was able to spot a BB at 56km away in good weather conditions. Maybe ok if you consider radar technology, maybe too much from a gameplay point of view.

cOt5tEN.jpg

"I am also looking for where to turn on 6 inch guns for the CA casemate from the start."

If you find a solution, share with us. At the moment, I have no idea how this is possible.