Game-Labs Forum

UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.4.0.5 R2]

admiralsnackbar

1 hour ago, SpardaSon21 said:

And they just updated again, whoops.  Guess they got wind of this mod's popularity and decided to imitate it, judging by the patch notes.

Of course, they did it pretty poorly, judging by the feedback here.

Well if they did thinks to drastically alter a guns maximum range then that has the potential to throw off balance very heavily. Base hit rate is a function of max range. Ideally base hit rate would be a function of base max range. 

** I will not be updating the mod for a day or so until I get confirmation that the features being implemented in 1.1.7 are working roughly as intended **

Edited by admiralsnackbar

5 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

And they just updated again, whoops.  Guess they got wind of this mod's popularity and decided to imitate it, judging by the patch notes.

Of course, they did it pretty poorly, judging by the feedback here.

They probably did a decent job, but pushed something out without proper testing again. It really seems like the devs don't have the time to actually playtest their own game. I wouldn't be surprised if admiralsnackbar spent more time testing his balance changes than the devs spend playing the game.

Running latest game and mod build.

Start 1910 - USA

Game freezes in May 1911, 5 out of 5 tries. Reverted to vanilla and no issues.

Anyone able to confirm this behaviour?

never mind... This is weird, try 6, 7 and 8 all worked fine with your mod. 🤐

Edited by MDHansen

any possibility of increasing funnel capacity for some of the later war battleship funnels? Currently even with oil 3 and forced boilers its impossible to achieve 27 knots for a Yamato using its real tonnage. You can compromise with the larger tower but then its not a yamato anymore. :( Similar proposed H-41 class BB's had a proposed speed of 30 knots (similar to the Bismarck) but the best you can get with its proposed tonnage is barely 28 and that's really pushing it. Though it goes without saying the real reason is because some of the larger funnels don't fit when they appear like they should due to a long standing bug im assuming it would be cool to have a temp work around.

9 hours ago, DasMoss said:

any possibility of increasing funnel capacity for some of the later war battleship funnels? Currently even with oil 3 and forced boilers its impossible to achieve 27 knots for a Yamato using its real tonnage. You can compromise with the larger tower but then its not a yamato anymore. :( Similar proposed H-41 class BB's had a proposed speed of 30 knots (similar to the Bismarck) but the best you can get with its proposed tonnage is barely 28 and that's really pushing it. Though it goes without saying the real reason is because some of the larger funnels don't fit when they appear like they should due to a long standing bug im assuming it would be cool to have a temp work around.

American battleships are especially hard-hit.  Good luck getting up to 32 knots with 80 capacity funnels!  They max out at Mega Funnel VI when even the British get up to Mega Funnel VII (Enhanced).  And then you have the French and their ridiculous Angled Funnel Complexes that even boost aiming speed, and have more capacity for less smoke interference.

Edited by SpardaSon21
  • Like 1

Yeah, dont bother with it right now.. if game is out of active development in summer, these changes can wait..  most important changes your mod is bringing right now (at least what I think) is the spotting improvement, which drastically decrease amount of frustration in vanilla game.. If the research was a bit more costly but not as much reduced, it would be perfect :) as usually, i end up having huge piles of money with everything maxed out.. which makes those financial sliders pointless..

I just tried this mod in a custom battle with a hvy and light cruiser...both ships main battery failed to fire at the assigned target 90% of the time.  The guns just would not fire at a perfectly set up target (CL and DD).  I dont know if the target tracking is still not fixed (had same issue in vanilla) or what.

1 hour ago, JaM said:

.. If the research was a bit more costly but not as much reduced, it would be perfect :) as usually, i end up having huge piles of money with everything maxed out.. which makes those financial sliders pointless..

Absolutely right. I'd like to reduce the fleet and reparations budget by 90%. Then it would be necessary to approach expenses much more seriously.

Can anyone suggest how to convert a *.assets to text file for editing funds?

Thanks for your work, I only play with your mod.

Updated for repair patch 1.1.7R

5 hours ago, solarkraken said:

I just tried this mod in a custom battle with a hvy and light cruiser...both ships main battery failed to fire at the assigned target 90% of the time.  The guns just would not fire at a perfectly set up target (CL and DD).  I dont know if the target tracking is still not fixed (had same issue in vanilla) or what.

I have not experienced this either in vanilla or in rebalance mod. 

Questions worth asking:

- what era are the ships in question
- are the red dashed lines indicating the target of the ship pointed in the right direction

- are the guns aiming at the target or are they stationary
- are your secondaries firing

17 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Funnel capacity values need to be adjusted by hand. I don't want to attempt that until I feel like the game can go one week without being updated.  

Oh, I'm aware of what a pain its going to be, especially since that funnel type is also shared by a lot of other nations.  Its the sort of thing Game-Labs should have tried to deal with long ago, but alas...

Quick question, since I haven't really tested the long term ramifications of this mod enough yet, but I do love what you've done so far and greatly appreciate your hard, unpaid work to the benefit of us all: Your tweaks to the research system, do they make it much harder to, through careful prioritization,  both in using the priorities function itself and through devoting as much of your budget as you can to research, gain an advantage over the AI?

I'm asking this for two reasons: First, I'm the type of wargamer who likes to "turtle", as I believe it's called, or "building high." It won't help me for the longest time because my quantity will be way behind everybody else's, but I'll reap the benefits later (if I manage to balance it correctly and survive that long, that is). Second, will prioritizing (talking about the three priorities you can assign in game now) actually hurt more than they will help with the mod? Better, same or worse?

I understand that it's always meant that prioritizing one will slow down all the others, so this may be a general question as well, because if prioritizing one will hurt the others so much that you'll lose out overall, then what's the point?

But mainly, and I do understand that a lot of you who have been playing this game for years now long for an AI that can out-design you for a better challenge, I just don't want to gimp myself and make it impossible/almost impossible to get ahead. At a cost, of course. Because then I might as well just leave the research budget to itself and forget about that whole aspect of the game.

Thanks again for the work you do!

37 minutes ago, MishaTX said:

Quick question, since I haven't really tested the long term ramifications of this mod enough yet, but I do love what you've done so far and greatly appreciate your hard, unpaid work to the benefit of us all: Your tweaks to the research system, do they make it much harder to, through careful prioritization,  both in using the priorities function itself and through devoting as much of your budget as you can to research, gain an advantage over the AI?

I'm asking this for two reasons: First, I'm the type of wargamer who likes to "turtle", as I believe it's called, or "building high." It won't help me for the longest time because my quantity will be way behind everybody else's, but I'll reap the benefits later (if I manage to balance it correctly and survive that long, that is). Second, will prioritizing (talking about the three priorities you can assign in game now) actually hurt more than they will help with the mod? Better, same or worse?

I understand that it's always meant that prioritizing one will slow down all the others, so this may be a general question as well, because if prioritizing one will hurt the others so much that you'll lose out overall, then what's the point?

But mainly, and I do understand that a lot of you who have been playing this game for years now long for an AI that can out-design you for a better challenge, I just don't want to gimp myself and make it impossible/almost impossible to get ahead. At a cost, of course. Because then I might as well just leave the research budget to itself and forget about that whole aspect of the game.

well, from my experience, its a valid tactics i also apply.. only problem in this mod is that research is very slow, so getting some decent research ahead of everybody is much harder (but doable).. anyway i usually end up with a ton of money and nothing to spend it at.. i usually try to not join alliances, as these just drag you into World Wars.. i rather try to end the conflict fast, send my cruisers and destroyers to raid enemy trade while making sure i wont get blockaded.. anyway, sometimes i take my BB task force to engage enemy, and thanks to my superior technology, i usually easily overcome whatever fleet AI manages to assemble even if its 10:1 in their favor (always having extra ammo in my heavy ships) which tends to end war quickly

1 hour ago, MishaTX said:

The bonus to prioritization and associated debuff to non-prioritized researches have been reduced. (6 and 14 to 2 and 2 respectively)  I think but cannot confirm that on net you benefit from prioritizing provided you are prioritizing things that have relatively long 'months of completion' i.e. if something has 100 months, prioritizing it reduces it to 50. 

All research times after the first month are visible so the simplest way to check is to prioritize something and see how the others react. 

1 minute ago, admiralsnackbar said:

The bonus to prioritization and associated debuff to non-prioritized researches have been reduced. (6 and 14 to 2 and 2 respectively)  I think but cannot confirm that on net you benefit from prioritizing provided you are prioritizing things that have relatively long 'months of completion' i.e. if something has 100 months, prioritizing it reduces it to 50. 

All research times after the first month are visible so the simplest way to check is to prioritize something and see how the others react. 

OK, so silly question, I'm assuming you mean "how it affects other research". I can see that and yes, it cuts it significantly for areas that will otherwise take a long time to research (by the way, thank you SO much for revealing what I'm actually researching sooner!)

I just need to know whether it's viable at all to rush research, because otherwise I'll just readjust my play style 😊

7 hours ago, MishaTX said:

OK, so silly question, I'm assuming you mean "how it affects other research". I can see that and yes, it cuts it significantly for areas that will otherwise take a long time to research (by the way, thank you SO much for revealing what I'm actually researching sooner!)

I just need to know whether it's viable at all to rush research, because otherwise I'll just readjust my play style 😊

So far its seemingly quite viable, at least if you can manage diplomacy with some mild capability. Especially if you use it on the slower going techs.

20 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Hello there, do you have roughly a date for when you are updating the mod for 1.1.8R?

Probably not until the weekend. I am not sure to what extent more patches will get released between now and then, and I don't know to what extent my own mods are creating problems for the developers to get appropriate feedback or not. 

On 2/6/2023 at 6:48 PM, Dutchy said:

Hello there, do you have roughly a date for when you are updating the mod for 1.1.8R?

Call me crazy, but I've installed the 1.1.7R version of this mod into the 1.1.8R version of the game... and I've yet to encounter any problems (knocks on wood). You can try this yourself, but your mileage may vary.

If you decide to do the same, just be sure you know what you're doing and how to revert your game back in case the weird and unwieldly starts to occur.