Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

8 hours ago, The PC Collector said:

How did you manage to conquest Portugal? Since I intend to play Spain regularly, that interests me. XD

I play as Germany and am fighting Portugal on the African continent. My army felt like it. Nothing I could do to bring that about myself.

Edited by ZorinW
  • Like 2

A very serious question. Does anyone have an AI using projects from shared designs? I made the simplest ships of 1890, with the "always" setting, these designs are never used by either my generated fleet or the AI.

@Nick Thomadis 20 years into my campaign I have a Strike mission against a minor. The battle prompt can't give the Ports name properly, just says {0} . Whatever way I ended the battle, fighting myself or auto resolve, always ends with a ...Battles... chrash. Went back to main menu and now loading the campaign is also stuck on ...Battles....

So can't send you an ingame bug report...

Is there anything I can do about the appalling ineptitude of the Japanese army in the 1890's and 1900's?  My army, which is 2 million strong, is losing thousands of casualties to Sakhalin that is defended by 35k Russians during a naval invasion.  Per battle, I lose around 9k, the Russians lose around 300.

I am perfectly willing the throw money at the army if that would solve anything.  My $2.2 billion in 1896 could then have some use.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Suribachi said:

Is there anything I can do about the appalling ineptitude of the Japanese army in the 1890's and 1900's?  My army, which is 2 million strong, is losing thousands of casualties to Sakhalin that is defended by 35k Russians during a naval invasion.  Per battle, I lose around 9k, the Russians lose around 300.

I am perfectly willing the throw money at the army if that would solve anything.  My $2.2 billion in 1896 could then have some use.

Nothing. 

Only the southern provinces remained of Austria-Hungary.

image-2.png

My empire is Italy + Germany + Austria + Hungary

image-1.png

I have positioned my entire fleet, including 20 battleships, to support the naval invasion

image.png

Six invasions have already failed.

"The dissolved Major Nations can now properly re-emerge if they have at least one controlled province. (Some remaining issues remain under investigation)."

What I suspect is going on is that the game runs a check on the gdp of the newly formed major, sees that it is abysmally low, and promptly re-dissolves. 

I strongly recommend changing the dissolve mechanic to a situation where the major country:

1. is forced to conclude a peace with all other countries it is at war with. 

2. removes most if not all of its navy (scrap or sell) and goes neutral, relations between other countries are partially or completely reset and not permitted to go outside of [-75,75] (no wars or alliances)

3. caps its naval budget 

4. spend however many years focused exclusively on rebuilding its economy (i.e. almost no ship building except for convoys)

It can exit this state if the naval surplus and GDP size are both above a certain threshold. 

If this sounds like a lot the current system is going to have to effectively perform the same thing, because it needs a way to allow a country with a very small gdp to continue to exist, whilst also preventing that country from starting new wars.

The same fundamental problem in 1.10 exists as did when the first north sea campaign went out. The AI doesn't care if it can't sustain a fight, it only cares if it hates another country [however far away] enough to want to fight it. 

Edited by admiralsnackbar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lima said:

A very serious question. Does anyone have an AI using projects from shared designs? I made the simplest ships of 1890, with the "always" setting, these designs are never used by either my generated fleet or the AI.

The answer is obvious. All AI nations built their ships prior to 1890, so I guess you have to run the campaign for a couple of years and then they might build your design - if all techs are there to do so. Which is why I asked Nick about how this actually works if not.

11 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

The answer is obvious. All AI nations built their ships prior to 1890, so I guess you have to run the campaign for a couple of years and then they might build your design - if all techs are there to do so. Which is why I asked Nick about how this actually works if not.

It doesn't make sense. Why can't they use these designs at the generation stage? Just why? These are the simplest designs (iron plate and so).

But even so. I made a lot of designs for 1890-1900, with different technologies. The AI has never used them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZorinW said:

@Nick Thomadis 20 years into my campaign I have a Strike mission against a minor. The battle prompt can't give the Ports name properly, just says {0} . Whatever way I ended the battle, fighting myself or auto resolve, always ends with a ...Battles... chrash. Went back to main menu and now loading the campaign is also stuck on ...Battles....

So can't send you an ingame bug report...

Do you remember which Minor nation was it? There is a known bug that allows very weak nations, to have a fleet, which should not happen and this creates logical exceptions in the code.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lima said:

It doesn't make sense. Why can't they use these designs at the generation stage? Just why? These are the simplest designs (iron plate and so).

But even so. I made a lot of designs for 1890-1900, with different technologies. The AI has never used them.

Can confirm this in later campaigns, too. Tried to make historical ships and the AI never uses them.

Shared design works BUT...

I'm really looking forward to this feature (tired of killing hordes of ships that can't fight back).

Given the information above, I decided to start the 1900 campaign, for this I made a number of ships from 1895 to 1905. I made two versions for each ship - a premium and a cheap one with degraded technologies. I made all classes of ships for Italy and Austria-Hungary. (AI Shared Designs: Always)

I started for Italy and I had one ship from shared designs. The funny thing is, it was a 1900 CA, a premium version. BB, CL, TB - all automatically generated. I went to war with Austria-Hungary, and they didn't have any of my ships.

Start for Austria-Hungary - one ship (CL) from shared designs. The war with Italy- they don't have any of my ships.

EDIT: In the campaign, the year of these ships is indicated as 1900, but in shared designs these were projects of 1898. Now it is clear why in 1890 it does not work (although it is not correct, the technology of the ships is the same). What's not clear is why the AI doesn't use my projects and why I only have one project.

Tomorrow I will test it again, before that I will completely clean the shared design folder.

Edited by Lima

1 hour ago, Lima said:

Shared design works BUT...

I'm really looking forward to this feature (tired of killing hordes of ships that can't fight back).

Given the information above, I decided to start the 1900 campaign, for this I made a number of ships from 1895 to 1905. I made two versions for each ship - a premium and a cheap one with degraded technologies. I made all classes of ships for Italy and Austria-Hungary. (AI Shared Designs: Always)

I started for Italy and I had one ship from shared designs. The funny thing is, it was a 1900 CA, a premium version. BB, CL, TB - all automatically generated. I went to war with Austria-Hungary, and they didn't have any of my ships.

Start for Austria-Hungary - one ship (CL) from shared designs. The war with Italy- they don't have any of my ships.

EDIT: In the campaign, the year of these ships is indicated as 1900, but in shared designs these were projects of 1898. Now it is clear why in 1890 it does not work (although it is not correct, the technology of the ships is the same). What's not clear is why the AI doesn't use my projects and why I only have one project.

Tomorrow I will test it again, before that I will completely clean the shared design folder.

I think using only 1890 tech for the designs is probably the best way to test the shared designs feature. 

One problem is that you need tech at MAX 100% of the time in order to keep up. So it's entirely possible that the AI simply doesn't have the technology needed to make the designs. 

So, decided to take a spin on the new version.  Germany, starting from the beginning.
Lot of bugs that seem to have gotten comfortable and not going anywhere.

Invasions are interesting...but borked.
China and Russia both are poised to become unholy terrors that will conquer anything that has a land-border with them, and as that border expands, so does the conquest.  I am lucky that I was able to build a fleet to blockade both nations into collapse.  As Germany, with Italy we tore France apart like a wishbone and conquered the country.  However, Austro-Hungary was nearly conquered by Russia, and the three of us together couldn't make any inroads at all into Russian territory despite more than a dozen different invasion attempts.

China ended up controlling everything from her coast to the Middle East, stampeding over the British like they weren't even there until finally I and my allies blockaded them to death.  (And this is while she was taking large parts of Russia away from Russia prior to the latter dying to my blockade.)  And this was with the US providing massive manpower to the British.

But hey, blockades are finally doing something!  (yay).

Also, a bug.
If a naval invasion begins, and peace is declared before the invasion is concluded, the naval invasion does not end with hostilities.

We also need more ability to influence invasions.  In my current game, Britain has collapsed, France has been conquered, Russia and China have collapsed.  The world is brimming with un-incorporated territory, or tiny independent powers.  The inability to do anything but wait for the game to randomly go after some of this ungoverned territory is rather disappointing. 

As others have stated, nations do not re-emerge.  Meanwhile other nations (minors) continue to try to make treaties with nations that no longer exist.  Humorously this seems to effect the French in particular despite their homeland now being divided North and South between Greater Germany and Greater Italy.

With Britain done, its rather disappointing I can't send, or influence the Kaiser to send the Heer over the channel to take the island, what with it having no Government.  Nor can I influence said Kaiser to clean up the remaining African colonies Britain wasn't kind enough to surrender to me before she died.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that Spain is gone as well, she didn't make it out of the 1800's.  But no reformation, and no ability to really do much to take over either the homeland or its colonies.

I could bring up a lot of other problems, but most others already have.

Final note I will make.

I trounced the US in battle, and took Panama in the hopes of screwing them over in the future if/when we fight again.  Instead I seem to have screwed both of us.  I have Panama, but I can't use the Panama canal, and apparently no one else can either.  Everyone is going around South America now.

Edit:  Bonus note.
AI still sucks at prioritizing what to do with its fleet.  Britain should not have died, but is dead because it refused to abandon fights in other parts of the world and bring its vast fleet home to break the blockade of the home isles.

Edited by Kane
  • Like 3

france, britain, china, russia dead and gone by 1905 in a 1900 Japan campaign

EDIT: China came back after a year though, and still there and kicking in 1908

Edited by MDHansen

1 hour ago, MDHansen said:

pretty please with many cherries on top, give us the ability to force fire torpedoes

Setting the fire on torpedoes to aggressive will more or less guaranty, provided the target ship is expected to remain in range by the time the torps arrive, 

If the torps are not being fired when you allow them to be, the most likely reason is that they are still rotating into position. For example, turning them to 'off' and then activating them, they need to be rotated into position. 

It would be nice if turrets and torpedoes would be aimed at the target specified regardless of whether the fire order is on or off, that way, hitting the fire button would cause them to launch almost immediately. 

Or are you asking for the ability to manually drop torpedoes regardless of whether there's a target nearby?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Setting the fire on torpedoes to aggressive will more or less guaranty, provided the target ship is expected to remain in range by the time the torps arrive, 

So many times I have put torps on Aggressive from the beginning of the battle and they never fire, even at targets less than 500m away.  Maybe the rotation is not fast enough to keep up since the turrets do not know how to "ambush" a target so they try to follow a target through an angle they can never fire at, but idk.

41 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Or are you asking for the ability to manually drop torpedoes regardless of whether there's a target nearby?

This is what I want at least.  Area of denial weapon to keep other ships away from my capital ships.

Just now, Suribachi said:

So many times I have put torps on Aggressive from the beginning of the battle and they never fire, even at targets less than 500m away.  Maybe the rotation is not fast enough to keep up since the turrets do not know how to "ambush" a target so they try to follow a target through an angle they can never fire at, but idk.

This is what I want at least.  Area of denial weapon to keep other ships away from my capital ships.

Yeah the rotation of a tube is something like 5-10 degrees per second, so the closer you get the worse it gets actually, especially if you are simultaneously rotating your ship around the target. 

True.  Eventually what I would like to see is the fire control system to be smart enough to understand and execute the following scenario:

NOTE:  I will be putting more common speak into () just in case others don't know the terms I am using below.

Given a destroyer with a deck torpedo launcher with a 60 degree firing arc and the ability to rotate 360 degrees.  The firing arc for the purposes of this example, is 30 degrees fore and aft of abeam (90 degree straight out from the side) of the ship.  Now this DD is approaching a target which is 12 degrees off the starboard bow (12 degrees off to the right of the DDs direction of travel).  At this time, instead of pointing straight at the target, once the target is within a certain range of the max range of the torps, the launcher swings so it is pointing 35 degrees to starboard, within its firing arc but with a 5 degree margin of error.  Now, when the DD swings to port, and the torpedo launcher is brought to bear, it is already pointed at the target.  Small adjustment is made for aim and the DD let's the fish fly!  (launches the torpedoes)

EDIT:  I know there are drawbacks, and frankly impossibilities with this idea, thus the sentence below!

This is definitely a "in your dreams" kind of thing, but hey, I can dream.  :)

Edited by Suribachi