Game-Labs Forum

GIF Post

The gif is really nice but, you might consider just recording a little bit of in game footage and posting it to youtube. It will give us a better feel for the action. I am by no means complaining. This is just a suggestion.

Yes please! I'd love to be able to enjoy a 2:00 minute or so video with a cup of hot chocolate, giving out a sigh and hoping my dreams will come to life at last :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Freakin awesome!   This just gets better and better and I first heard of this game only 2 hours ago.  :)  Is there an easy way to share that gif on other forums?   Right clicking it didn't give me the "open link" option.

http://imgur.com/cw7VTK1

http://i.imgur.com/cw7VTK1.gif

add img and /img in brackets on both sides of the link above

Vessel movement the best I've ever seen in a game, well done! The main target of (constructive!) criticism would be the apparent speed...she looks like she's doing 18-20kts into the wind... :) That's the main thing that distracts from the realism, and the only thing I picked up on the first viewing. Is it representative of what you're looking at in the final game, or a product of this testing stage?

Other little things, probably beyond the bounds of possibility, that would really make this gif come alive include a true bow-wave (never done justice, even in animated films). When the vessel's head drops down into the sea, the wall of white broken water it pushes away ahead of it and out to either side is very obvious and a good measure of just how bad your day is getting! Again, probably impossible but I'll mention it anyway: animation of...well...everything! Everything moves on these old girls in a blow from coils on their pins to the shrouds getting a bit slack on the leeward side, bar-tight to windward, and swaying between the two when the vessel is rolling. On a related note, is the lack of any running rigging (conspicuous by it's absence due to the unprecedented quality of the standing rigging on your models, wonderful stuff!) in the gif/screenies down to an intractable problem with their modelling/animation, or is it something that will change as we get closer to a finished game?

Final final comment refers to leaving the fore-course hanging in it's gear in a gale... ;)

Bit of a bitchy hello and first post, I know -  but this game is so wonderfully promising, it's hard not to nitpick absolutely everything in a bid for perfection! 

Baggy

Hey Baggy

Definitely everything is very early version and can and will be improved. So your feedback is very welcome.

Running rigging: we are still thinking on how to implement it and optimize it so it is beautiful and does not kill performance. 

Thanks for the response.

My post really was meant with the best of intentions and I'm fully aware that it's early days yet for this project (honest!). What is already available is very very promising indeed. A bit premature for back-slapping just yet, but definitely off to a very convincing start :) Interesting to hear about any specific issues with running rigging. I was a bit involved with PotBS' development on the ship-building/modelling side, and always thought it a shame that one of the strongest overall impressions you get of these types of vessels (miles and miles and miles of string!) is missing from their otherwise very faithful digital interpretations. 

I've often thought this difficulty in capturing the incredibly dynamic visual and physical world of a sailing vessel is the main reason that Age of Sail sims are rare and often miss the mark. In flight sims,for example, you are sat in a chair, holding a stick, staring at a window (screen) simulating someone sat in a chair holding a stick staring out the window. Of course there are countless differences, but the actual fundamental experience of the real world and virtual pilots are the similar. It's simply not possible to have the same link with a sailing sim, where information about your environment is given by all six (!) senses and impact on your world is either passive (telling others to get things done) or incredibly physical! But they can portray the beauty and joy of being on a "good ship taught and free" as the shanty has it, and that shines through the screenshots posted so far, and that has got my anticipation levels up!

Baggy

Very true, they can, but their movement is also clearly distinguishable from the movement of the vessel through the water.

The speed of the wavelets and patches of white water from previous wavecrests etc passing by are what I've used both here and in RL for ballpark speed estimates. Heavy weather is often surprisingly slow weather, particularly with the hull shapes of this period.

• 3 weeks later...

That's the gif that sold me on this game. Absolutely marvelous. I can't wait to put my hands on this game.

Only caveat I can see is the obvious petrified sails, but I'm sure that is going to be remedied before no time.

But feel free to keep the gifs flowing!

• 1 month later...