Game-Labs Forum

Ramming - why so serious?

While there is no fouling of tackle and rigging even issues of boarding in the current game form remain moot about this (which will deter anyone of ever trying to ram again except under exceptional desperation and encourage everyone to watch out more of their vector in relation to everyone else) and no morale system in place for crews and their captain as we are playing a more simplified fps at sea for the moment;  ramming remains valid just like mast sniping.

After playing today, I`ve had enough of it.

Some nub rammed me deliberately while we were both at full health.

A solution-

The rammers ship gets damaged and the victim does NOT

this should not apply to accidental team rams, though.

this probably looks like the rammer

c5y9l6.jpg

-edit- 

I`ve finished the round, and I`ve been rammed by two enemies while at full health and so were they-

rammed by a friendly, probably an accident.-

Edited by Echo4890

How does a "dumb" computer understands the difference between purpose and accident ? It will only compute two ships, two courses and then a collision. There is no discrimination in code. 

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Again... your actions ARE computed by a COMPUTER. He does not know you, he only calculates your doing in game. He has no idea if you rammed with ill intent or not and a machine cannot be coded to understand that. It is simply maths. Two ships controlled by two accounts in a course that end in a collision. That is all the server - computer - sees.

A solution-

Okay, from now I will deliberately turn in front of you causing a ram done by you. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sometimes ramming is an accident, not everyone does it on purpose. Ramming happened in real life as well. If someone feels the need to ram you, then so be it I have no problem with ramming at all. When Open world comes out this most likely wouldn't be a problem since people wont want to risk losing their ship so easily. I think taking away realism and awesome collision damage that you don't see in other games, would hurt more than do any good. In sea trials ramming inst a big deal leave it as it is in my opinion.

lel the point Hethwill made is still the same, how will you say the player rammed on purpose or accident?...

maybe there be the first 2 minutes a ghost mode, so you just move through the friendly ship timer begins 60:00 to 58:00.

but i dont see a need of this feature

EDI: there is already some Topics about this, also sometimes you have to ram friendly just to get not a boardside on your ship or to get better position.

If the Ram happens i say sorry, if im in the bigger or smaller ship, or if i not mentioned him caused by aiming and watching enemy movement... just be friendly, its a game and its in Alpha.

Edited by AtomicTiger

Though I may have not thought it through, the ramming is driving me nuts and I am going insane because of all the deliberate rammers thinking its greek times with Triremes and ramming eachother.

I rarely have this problem are you playing in PVP light or normal PVP, I feel like more ramming is common in PVP light since most battles are close quarter and turning at high speeds.

So, as a small ship, I can just put myself right in front of a Victory where I can't be avoided and do damage to them while taking none myself?  Grief city.  I don't think you have thought this one through fully sir.

I understand, and I respect that you have stated your opinion on this matter, kudos to you sir.

As I said above, I should have thought it through, and I apologize for any trouble caused.

I posted this out of rage for the deliberate rammers, and I shall apologize again.

As the admins have stated, the point of sea trials is to gather data on all combat aspects of the game. This most definitely includes the data to be gathered from ramming. 

The current mass system is just one bug that ramming has found (e.g. a brig can do far to much damage to a frigate when ramming it for game balance or realism)

I foresee that the ship loss mechanic will drastically reduce the amount of ramming in game, as it usually condemns both ships to a watery fate. 

Now the stigma that ramming has garnered seriously confuses me, and disturbs me. Perhaps coming from PotBS where collisions only served to knock a ship off its track with an anticlimactic "bump" and was simply annoying, I thoroughly enjoyed the possible tactical aspects that ramming has in Naval Action in comparison. 

I see this becoming not unlike the CoD grenade launchers, shortly named "noob tubes" for there ability to rack up kills with ease at safe distances. So much so to the point that players would leave matches with anyone playing with GLs or hosts would kick them. They garnered no respect of empathy. 

w6C9gqe.jpg

The case (or even vice versa) should definitely not be the case for Naval Action. Ramming has serious tactical potential to simply played off as "Bad, so we don't do it at all"

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed link to thread due to merge.

Though I may have not thought it through, the ramming is driving me nuts and I am going insane because of all the deliberate rammers thinking its greek times with Triremes and ramming eachother.

So don't put yourself in situation that allows someone to ram you.

What is entertaining:

Sometimes it is fun positioning your ships so that someone who is damaged rams into you. Your ready for it, in survival. You know they'll probably sink. It is a good trade.

Computer will never know the difference. Yet. He rammed into my broadside, even though I made him do it.

We have to accept that this is part of the game. The CURRENT mechanics of death match don't discourage it.

Even when open world comes: if a port battle for my nation hangs in the balance where ramming a ship could change the tide: I'm going to do it even if I take a reputation hit... Even if there are decentives. If a captain can save his port with a ram, would he? Why would a captain keep his crew on board while ship on fire, knowing the magazine could blow? For the greater good.

It is player choice and within the bounds of "fair play, non bannable activity".

Edited by Grim DeGrim

So don't put yourself in situation that allows someone to ram you.

I haven't been playing this game that long and I don't want to sound like an arrogant d**k, but I kind of agree with this.

I can count on one hand the number of times an opponent has successfully rammed me. One was a well timed and executed ram where the guy managed to get two of us. Props to him. A lot more have tried, but they usually fail. Only once have I been sunk by ramming.

I dunno. Maybe I've just been lucky enough to not be in games that are ful of ram-happy players. I don't pretend to be that great (I'm not) and I've definitely made my fair share of mistakes (and still make them), but situational awareness goes a long way. If you're not thinking about where your nearby opponent's ships are going to be in 2-3 minutes you're not thinking far enough ahead. Likewise one needs to pay attention to their teammates positions, and use them as cover as well. Ramming looks less appetizing if doing so means one has to survive three broadsides on the way in.

Again, the current game doesn't really encourage that kind of thinking though. The focus is on 'cause damage' and nothing else. When it actually becomes important for players to disengage I don't think you'll see as many people so eager to close to spitting distance.

Edited by kalnaren

Sometimes it is fun positioning your ships so that someone who is damaged rams into you. Your ready for it, in survival. You know they'll probably sink. It is a good trade.

Trade for what? In the current game's status, unless you are actively testing ramming, there's no purpose for it. Ramming doesn't give any points, nor does winning or losing a battle.

I have no doubt some find it "fun". Some find it "entertaining", as some find trolling entertaining. Just stop making excuses for it; the battle outcome, tactical options, and whatever BS argument you want to try.

Trade for what? RAWR ANGRISH SNARL

I think "trade" refers to the minor loss in armor and the possible leaks you receive, compared to the sinking or crippling of the ship that rammed you, who will at least be losing a bowsprit. The downside is the raking shot you might take if you screw up, as well as the risky semi-randomness of ram damage itself.

And I must say, I find you entertaining.

Edited by greybuscat
  • Like 1

Greybuscat gets a cookie.

Iñigo Montoya, in the current game's status, unless you are actively testing "firing your cannons", there's no purpose for it. Firing cannons doesn't give any points, nor does winning or losing a battle. (catching My drift?)

• Like 1

A solution-

this should not apply to accidental team rams, though.

this probably looks like the rammer

c5y9l6.jpg

-edit- 

I`ve finished the round, and I`ve been rammed by two enemies while at full health and so were they-

rammed by a friendly, probably an accident.-

I hope they never do this..........it happens and in the real open world i think ram will be less

No one will risk it after the release of the game. Open World ramming translates in full loss of ship.

In Sea Trials ? Sure. Actually the collisions have to be worked on by the devs so a ram here and there can benefit us all.

Stop treating Sea Trials as a full game.

I think sir Khan explain everything in a short 3 row and thats the fact . all these cry baby s can at least w8 that full game is out and then see how will people play the game and what tactics will they use there. There is no point crying on the forums a year before full game is out over a sea trials Alpha.

lel the point Hethwill made is still the same, how will you say the player rammed on purpose or accident?...

maybe there be the first 2 minutes a ghost mode, so you just move through the friendly ship timer begins 60:00 to 58:00.

but i dont see a need of this feature

EDI: there is already some Topics about this, also sometimes you have to ram friendly just to get not a boardside on your ship or to get better position.

If the Ram happens i say sorry, if im in the bigger or smaller ship, or if i not mentioned him caused by aiming and watching enemy movement... just be friendly, its a game and its in Alpha.

Helloo Atomic i must say i dont agree with you on spawn points there is no real problem there considering the game mechanic... the problem you see i 100% players mistake at the start of the game. if all would sail their boats as its should no accidents or rams would happen. the problem is in clustering  and lighter ships are more to blame then the sols. they are constantly very close to sols to close there is no room for SoL s to maneuver.

what happens then is that they are allready to close as it is plus both of them are in a tunnel vision coz of long range sniping witch you have to take time and then some one is calling a change of course and in all that confusion shit will start happen...