Game-Labs Forum

Right now the game suffers from a problem of ships lacking visual variety. Personally I think more unique models are needed, even if it means getting creative and making stuff that never existed.

Right now most factions (the semi-major ones like austria-hungary, russia, japan and italy) (in the same time era) have no visual diferences between same spec ships besides the flag. The turrets are the same, the hulls are the same etc. I understand why you recycled the british quad turret for almost all other factions, the others never made one (if they did, to find them you need more that a simple 1 minute google search).

But in my opinion, in those cases, you should get creative and design new unique turrets (based of existing triple/double designs) that were never deployed/designed. I know most of this game's models are historically accurate, but when history doesn't give you stuff to work with, maybe you need to invent it your own.

I'd like to see more unique turrets (same specs but diferent looks) for diferent factions. I my opinion, there should be 3 (main) turrets designs per each faction (per time era) that would be then scalled up or down acoordingly to caliber (1 small (up to 300mm), 1 medium (up to 400mm) and 1 big (the biggest), this is just an example) (in the 1940s). Though in these examples they will be suggesions for battleships.

Examples:

I've seen a bunch of WWII italian battleships, and aparently they were fond of placing the turret counterweights (scopes? I never know...) at the same height as the turret center and give the thing a rounded top (almost like a old semi-bald man's head and hair). 

Proposal for tier 7 and 10 of the Italian battleships - Other - World of  Warships official forum

Russian/soviet ones are a little distinct, but you could make the medium ones the shape of a hexagon (from the top) with a high rear end (like the Knyaz Suvorov, Gangut and Pyotr Velikiy), and the big ones similar to the Sovetsky Soyuz and the Kremlin ones (whose top and side shape is a little tricky to describe). (And yes, those pictures are from WoWs, don't cry about that as some people in this forum do with any design or idea from this game simply because of its origin).

cc87cd54-804b-11e9-bdb6-38eaa735f4cc.pngccf321c6-804b-11e9-94c2-38eaa735f4cc.png

cc9318e4-804b-11e9-9f59-38eaa735f4cc.png

cc86aa28-804b-11e9-b656-38eaa735f4cc.png

cc8a7efa-804b-11e9-abd7-38eaa735f4cc.png

For the austro-hungarian the shape of the S.M.S Viribus Unitis turrets with the pointy spots between the barrels looks nice. Also I found this long yet rather informative page with some self-drawn designs. I'd check it out. They also talk about never built battleships. There are quite a few ideas to be taken from here.

Viribus-Unitis-18x24-poster.jpg.c775c4b41367cf724e219674a12813e3.jpg

Japanese ones... well, for the big ones (up to 500 mm) you could simply use the yamato turret. For the mid ones (up to 400 mm) maybe use the turrets from the Kongō-class battlecruisers?

Amazon.com: Fujimi 020358 Battleship Yamato Type 94 46cm Triple Turret  (w/Additional Machine Gun) 1/200 Scale Kit: Toys & Games

Kongo1944.thumb.png.a9671a49d790353359b5fd91aa474225.png

These are just examples, they might not be aplied to certain eras (as they were build in diferent time periods) and weren't quad turrets (you'll have to, from these designs, to invent quad ones yourself).

This isn't really related to the topic, but I think it would be interesting to share these interesting facts and rumours I found during my research:

I did find some interesting rumors about a QUINTUPLE (5 cannons) turret design for a "G-Series" of battleships, aparently designed by a General (Edgardo) Ferrati. Though I can't find sturdy evidence or other references, as so it remains mostly speculation, however I think its just a funny interesting thing to discuss.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/6875-the-ferrati-quintuple-turret-battleship/

https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/26/general-ferratis-1915-battleship-g-series-designs/

7954545214_b4007b7e99_b.jpg

I also discovered that the french Dunkerque and Richelieu class of battleships, known for their quad turrets, have a interesting feature. The space between the 2 pairs of guns, is due to the turret being split into 2 sections by a armored bulkhead, so if the turret gets penetrated by a shot (but it doesnt suffer catastrophic damage) the other side might be able to continue to operate. In theory, that makes it, instead of a quad turret, 2 twin turrets stitched together.

Richelieu being assembled:

EPx01S3XsAc2xXO.thumb.jpg.19a961b7654ea2016c983c205c578406.jpg

So this is the result of a small 4 hour google search. I apreciate constructive criticism.

Thanks for reading this.

EDIT: Devs should decide wheter every faction will have "turret" equality spec-wise (same array of components) or if they will diversify. Im saying this as some factions like the french already have arsenals like small quad turrets others dont. If the devs give each faction historical armaments, then the quads of many other factions gotta go. If they go the equality path, many factions will require new designs that didnt exist historically, like a german quad turret.

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WoWS is actually a good source of inspiration, they do the research and model their fantasy boats by real life evidence, to which they have way better access than this smol team or random google user.

Also keep in mind, that some ships were actually built by another nation (often Britain) using their design and cannot really count towards their service place "style"

Edited by Cpt.Hissy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

WoWS is actually a good source of inspiration, they do the research and model their fantasy boats by real life evidence, to which they have way better access than this smol team or random google user.

Also keep in mind, that some ships were actually built by another nation (often Britain) using their design and cannot really count towards their service place "style"

Yeah, I tried to get designs from diferent ships.

The reason I said that about WoWs is because I've seen people (I dont remenber who) automatically dismiss ideas just based on the fact that they came/are also on that game, without clarifying or explaining why they wouldn't work. 

But really, I think you are right. Il go search some models on WoWs. Theres even a place to see their models: https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/

Althought some of these don't need to be historically comon to that faction. My idea is more about s visually diferenciating ships, as I said above most semi-major and non-major factions have no visual diferences between same spec ships besides the flag.

Edited by Stormnet

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Totally agree with you ! A semi-historical game will allow more variety and more freedom of creation! This would make it possible to see how each nation would have been able to evolve at the level of their navy if the war had taken a new turn or lasted longer! 😉

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe but some nations like Japan's captial ships where built in Brittish Yards and off of Brittish designs, the Kongo is a great example, she was built in a Brittish Yard to Brittish designs then cloned to build her sister ships via reverse engineering. Japan should like alot like Britian until the 1930's

32 minutes ago, Candle_86 said:

Maybe but some nations like Japan's captial ships where built in Brittish Yards and off of Brittish designs, the Kongo is a great example, she was built in a Brittish Yard to Brittish designs then cloned to build her sister ships via reverse engineering. Japan should like alot like Britian until the 1930's

Historical Japan should be, but this isn't 'Rebuild the historical navies of the world'. Nothing should be set in stone that hadn't already happened by 1890. EVERYTHING after that should be up to the player (as much as an individual nation can effect). decisions made in game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1