Game-Labs Forum

The Gunroom - Good Manners at High Seas

RegularK

Dear fellow Captains on the war server,

I know, i know, this is an open World game and the devs stated it before: it's a hardcore game for hardcore players. I might not be a hardcore player, with family and a job and all this it is hard to find the amount of time that is needed to prosper in the game.

But still, i love the game, the tactics in a battle and the sound of a broadside when it rumbles out of my subwoofer, loud enough to alarm the neighbours. And as long as the devs don't ban me from the servers for not spending enough time ingame I won't give up looking for the one thing that fascinates me most in the game:

a honourable duel amongst gentlemen.

And that is the point in writing this post, the number of fun duels against captains with decent manners in battle i had in the last year has nearly plummited to zero, with 3 exceptions. I have no Problem with getting sunk, i practically live on the seafloor for that matter, but i have a Problem with a Lack of manners!

What i consider good manners in a fight?

• salute your opponent, o7
  • be polite even if your ship gets blasted to kindling, that's the game, there will always be a better sailor, gunner, tactician
  • Be polite if you are in an advantageous position, if you are already winning there is in principle no need to be disrespectful to your opponent

That's actually all I ask for but for most of the players i meet in open world that is already too much. Insults in english, spanish, russian, swedish (ffs, thats the most friendly people ive ever met in real life)… you guys do realize that there is google translator and one can easily translate when you write shit?

Fellow Captains, I invite all of you that want to participate in battles amongst gentlemen to join

The Gunroom - Discord ( https://discord.gg/mTzUuVJ )

In this channel you can meet fellow captains,

We share similar values in battle:

• Honourable behaviour
  • Respect for each other
  • Sailing skills and a thundering broadside

See you on the ocean!

• Like 12

Good thinking, that man. I had jotted down similar thoughts privately a while ago. Might as well make them public here. I'd be happy if you could provide feedback:

A Statement on Gentlemanly Conduct, for and between Masters and Commanders, Pursuing their Divers Endeavours in the Caribbean Seas

(I) I am content with being Content.

(II) I endeavour to provide a challenging fight.

(II.1) If my squadron is vastly superior, I will solicit my fellow captains to withdraw some vessels. I will not insist on odds being even, but I will strive that our opponent has a chance to enjoy the battle, rather than be clubbed to death without an actual game.

(II.2) I fight to the end. Ending a fight against a superior foe through the application of seamanship is not a dishonourable thing. Refusing an engagement by technical means, or by surrendering before battle is joined, is.

(III) I am polite in chat.

(III.1) I salute my fellow captains, and my opponents at the beginning and at the end of an engagement.

(III.2) I offer my opponent a de-brief in chat after the engagement, as opportunity permits.

(III.3) If necessary, and only if necessary, I respond to strong language in measured tones.

(III.4) I will speak up if my side’s communication leaves the boundaries of polite conversation between gentlemen. And ladies, for that matter.

I will be joining that Discord now.

• Like 1

Cheers, mate, that is exactly what I'm looking for!

37 minutes ago, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

Good thinking, that man. I had jotted down similar thoughts privately a while ago. Might as well make them public here. I'd be happy if you could provide feedback:

A Statement on Gentlemanly Conduct, for and between Masters and Commanders, Pursuing their Divers Endeavours in the Caribbean Seas

(I) I am content with being Content.

(II) I endeavour to provide a challenging fight.

(II.1) If my squadron is vastly superior, I will solicit my fellow captains to withdraw some vessels. I will not insist on odds being even, but I will strive that our opponent has a chance to enjoy the battle, rather than be clubbed to death without an actual game.

(II.2) I fight to the end. Ending a fight against a superior foe through the application of seamanship is not a dishonourable thing. Refusing an engagement by technical means, or by surrendering before battle is joined, is.

(III) I am polite in chat.

(III.1) I salute my fellow captains, and my opponents at the beginning and at the end of an engagement.

(III.2) I offer my opponent a de-brief in chat after the engagement, as opportunity permits.

(III.3) If necessary, and only if necessary, I respond to strong language in measured tones.

(III.4) I will speak up if my side’s communication leaves the boundaries of polite conversation between gentlemen. And ladies, for that matter.

I will be joining that Discord now.

3 hours ago, Urchin said:

I'm going to miss battle chat when they remove it from the game. 

720379990_SmackTalkBrit.jpg.8ad0fcc21719f5a1b9eba50c5ddd0447.jpg

Killing battle Chat to stop Bad behaviour is like chopping off the head to lessen the pain.

Talking in battle is part of the fun, in my opinion. If I get my Stern skillfully whipped by the opponent I congratulate with glee. And when i outmaneuvre the enemy and prevent a boarding Or land 23 leaks on a trinco in a broadside I enjoy a "well done" more than sinking the enemy vessel.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, RegularK said:

Fellow Captains, I invite all of you that want to participate in battles amongst gentlemen to join

In this channel you can meet fellow captains,

We share similar values in battle:

• Honourable behaviour
  • Respect for each other
  • Sailing skills and a thundering broadside

See you on the ocean!

Could someone, native speakers, please translate this section into spanish and russian and post it again, as a tl;dr.

My spanish skills are ok but my russian is on a google translator level which i think is the wrong message if we want to improve communication and behaviour.

Join The Gunroom, lads!

Cheers

37 minutes ago, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

May I suggest we move the tactical and mechanical discussion to another thread? To keep this one focused on RegularK's idea.

Battle Chat is going to be removed in a future update, RK's idea is commendable but soon irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Urchin said:

Battle Chat is going to be removed in a future update, RK's idea is commendable but soon irrelevant

Even more important to get moving now.

I for my part consider this as a last attempt to get some of the fun back. Maybe it's naive but until now I refuse to believe that ALL players enjoy the insults or the sinking of significantly outgunned opponents.

4 minutes ago, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

Let me know if you would like me to post this to the German-speaking sub-section (native speaker). Happy to proof-read the Spanish, if you have need.

Well, the german part I could actually do myself but that somehow escaped me. Don't know, must be the heat. But yes, please go ahead, mate!

8 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Good manners doesn't imply duels. Nor duels imply good manners.

correct. And being chased by a superior force is not bad either. it just turns bad, for my taste, when you're in the battle instance and face that same force without any hope AND players start with insults or making fun of their prey for being so stupid to get caught or whatever.

I am sick of it. Sure, there might be a language barrier since we have players from all over the world, and not everybody speaks more than his native tounge but there is this google translator thing that helps a lot, and is definitely enough to get a message across. unfortunately I mostly find insults when I use it to see, what my opponent sent me.

8 hours ago, Hethwill said:

In truth good manners are and should be always the norm.

That. but it isn't. It's not a NA problem alone.

But for crying out loud, when I started playing multiplayer games I played with friends. and even when we whipped each others asses in Call Of Duty or whatever game, it was meant to be fun. and it was. Why can't that be on here? Naval Action is the first game in many years that I literally buy time for playing and I will be damned if there are no other players that can enjoy the game without being a textbook example of an asshole.

Edited by RegularK
clarification
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain2Strong said:

why? why not just call the winning side cheater if you are not the winning side?

I take it your comment is ironic? 😉

Humour me for taking it literally, as an intellectual exercise.

In a regular, open world engagement, the only thing I'd call "cheating" is actually hacking the game's code, so that it behaves in a way the "cheated" cannot foresee. I have not been subject to that, so all I can do is speculate: it may be possible to tweak things like thickness, turn rates, penetration, reload rates, ...

In all other cases where I get my ass handed to me, this will be down to factors that, in my dim view of the world, do not constitute cheating:

• I got ganked: Tough luck. This is frustrating, to be sure, but unavoidable in a sandbox OW. Plus, eluding gankers is another skill set which I can learn.
  • My opponent had a superior ship: again, that happens in a sandbox. If it is gold, fitted with everything but the kitchen sink, that captain probably invested time in the game to get it. Even if they didn't, that is tough luck for me, not cheating.
  • My opponent handled their ship better: again, they can probably do that because they spent more time training, or have a better talent for these sorts of things. For me, that is the opposite of cheating: this is teaching me by taking me to the cleaners. By showing off what they are doing, that captain gives me an opportunity to learn new stuff.

In a Gunroom fight, I can extend "cheating" to mean "breaking a pre-battle agreement". For instance, should the participating captains agree not to use reps for some reason, but one of them does, that captain would indeed be  "cheater" in my eyes. Or much more damning: "Not a gentleman". But that has not happened so far, nor do I expect it to.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:25 AM, Kpt Lautenschlaeger said:

I got ganked

cheater

My opponent had a superior ship

cheater

My opponent handled their ship better

cheater

should the participating captains agree not to use reps for some reason, but one of them does, that captain would indeed be  "cheater" in my eyes. Or much more damning: "Not a gentleman". But that has not happened so far, nor do I expect it to.

haha noob