Game-Labs Forum

Retrofits

So about the campaign. As well all know BB's are expensive. As in extremely expensive. 

So I'm curious if there will be a retrofit system so that you can keep older existing ships up to date without having to build them from the ground up, or just downright replace them. Obviously a retrofitted dreadnought wont do squat against a superbattleship but it could still head a fleet against forces that might not be able to field BB's or modern BB's.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2020 at 9:01 PM, BobRoss0902 said:

So about the campaign. As well all know BB's are expensive. As in extremely expensive. 

So I'm curious if there will be a retrofit system so that you can keep older existing ships up to date without having to build them from the ground up, or just downright replace them. Obviously a retrofitted dreadnought wont do squat against a superbattleship but it could still head a fleet against forces that might not be able to field BB's or modern BB's.

Yes certainly, you keep them until you decide to scrap them!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Yes certainly, you keep them until you decide to scrap them!

I'm talking about modernizing them, Japan continued using dreadnoughts until the end of ww2, basically I'm asking if we were to put a mk 1 gun on a ship, and 5 years later I want to upgrade said ship with a mk 2 gun without having to scrap it or build a new one, would I be able to?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

This is something we want to make, yes. But we are not sure when exactly it can be implemented. It needs some special mechanics, it is doable. 

Hope we get the ability to make some ships into muesum ships.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IronKaputt said:

And some others into targets.

That would be cool, you could take your old ships and instead of scrapping them you could turn them into target practice for your crews in a similar fashion to how Graf Zepplin ended up being used.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BobRoss0902 said:

That would be cool, you could take your old ships and instead of scrapping them you could turn them into target practice for your crews in a similar fashion to how Graf Zepplin ended up being used.

That's primary for weapon/armor testing I believe - maybe this time we'll make ourselves a working magnetic torpedoes.

And it's still possible to refloat and scrap the wreck afterwards - with some material losses of course. Just don't sink them over Mariana Trench.
Feel myself as a grave digger already.

Edited by IronKaputt

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:44 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

This is something we want to make, yes. But we are not sure when exactly it can be implemented. It needs some special mechanics, it is doable. 

A refitting tool would be desirable especially if we can play a campaign which (hopefully) runs over multiple years!  

Would be awesome to keep your good Dreadnoughts up to date date by upgrading propulsion, shells, fire control, secondary artillery, etc. Potentially along with the visuals for the superstructure to visually distinguish old Dreadnoughts from refitted ones

• Like 2

If refits are not possible you have to design ships, that at the time of design, to say nothing of whenever they actually enter service, have to be effective for 20 years, as designed. That's just not possible. It's beyond impossible, it makes fleet management, production and indeed design irrelevant in the campaign. Which is to say, it makes the campaign not a campaign. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but imagine if the RN had to scrap every ship without director firing, or later without AAA mounts. 

If refits are not possible, you would have to fight with outdated ships against outdated ships making precise time of conflict a decisive factor (i just finished my series of 3 new shiny BBs while yours are 18 month away, get ready to be dominated!)

Again i dont think this is absolutely necessary to be done in upcoming updates (b4 full release it needs to be addressed for sure.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ArtifaX said:

If refits are not possible, you would have to fight with outdated ships against outdated ships making precise time of conflict a decisive factor (i just finished my series of 3 new shiny BBs while yours are 18 month away, get ready to be dominated!)

Again i dont think this is absolutely necessary to be done in upcoming updates (b4 full release it needs to be addressed for sure.)

Would be a good feature to have since, some ships did get refit's retrofits (dunno if theres a difference), to eleviate costs or because thats all they had to begin with. Or maybe because they loved the ship soo much they wanted her to keep fighting anyways.

I think retrofits will be important but also that the first campaign round will be missing them.

And that will REALLY hurt, once radar generation 2 hits.

Because all of my custom games suggest that radar 2 is such a game changer that a ship without it doesn't need to bother to show up.

In fact, scrapping your navy and rebuild it with it is perhaps necessary, unless the ship is torpedo base.