Game-Labs Forum

Make LGV great again!

Objective is to make LGV a viable choice, especially for cargo runs in hostile waters. Right now, the only relevant trade ships are the Indiaman and the Traders Brig. The LGV is hardly ever used by anyone. She lacks the hold size of an Indiaman and does not have the upwind speed of a Traders Brig. With the hold size being only 8.5% larger than the Traders Brig, her lack of speed renders her completely useless. 

So, I suggest to increase hold size of LGV to 2150 tons (increase of  13%) and  reduce the hold size of a Traders Brig to 1450 (reduction of 17%) resulting in a hold size advantage of 48% to make the LGV a relevant trader again. 

With 2150 hold size, the LGV is still small compared to an Indiaman, so I'd expect the Indiaman still to be the best option for large hauls in safe waters. But in hostile waters, the larger speed of an LGV might be a factor for her. 

Edited by van Veen
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

Why would you want to reduce the hold of the tbrig? That has nothing to do with the LGV so what is your reasoning? Breaking the tbrig wont fix the lgv.  Sigh...

Simple reason. Because the TBrig hold is too large compared to Traders Snow and also compared to LGV. 

• Like 3

Defense capabilities of the LGV compared to TBrig when faced with 7th and 6th rates is a major difference.

Likewise Trade Snow combative capabilities compared to Trader Brig.

Less cargo volume in exchange for that volume being occupied by the carriages and guns at the ready.

Tbrig should, indeed, be in between both regarding cargo volume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Dog Morgan said:

You can't,  devs forgot to add it back in after release but working on it. 

Gros Ventre Refit comes with a note from deadman's chest from lost fleet wreck, doesn't it?

And I agree Gros Ventre should have larger cargo capacity, something in the 2200 - 2600 range, compared to the much smaller trader brig.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the "weight" limits of trade ships be more dynamic than just weight.

I think there needs to be a volume and weight aspect to goods that make certain tradeships better at carrying certain goods. For example, indiaman could be great at volume but not as good at total weight...the lgv could be great at weight (like tools), but be bad at total volume. This would force tradeoffs between the trader you chose depending on what you plan on transporting. 

If weight is the only factor, the biggest hold is always going to be better (shallow:brig and deep:india). 

29 minutes ago, Captain2Strong said:

bad idea
it's better to increase the hold for all ships instead

If all the ship holds were to be increased, that still won't make the lgv useful as the Indi will still outclass it.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:13 PM, Syler said:

If all the ship holds were to be increased, that still won't make the lgv useful as the Indi will still outclass it.

that's how it's supposed to work

on the other hand it wouldn't hurt to increase the hold of that other ship

but decreasing hold space is a bad idea

Edited by Captain2Strong