Game-Labs Forum

Protractor For Map Should Be On By Default

Please make the protractor activated by default on the map.

There is no real reason it cannot be. I hate having to click it on every time I leave a port and open my map. 

It just adds a few clumsy clicks every time you set sail. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

also:

2c51btjcukrn.jpg

disappearing notes from windboost  on the nautical chart disappear when entering a harbor (can also be made optional)
The pencil eraser saboteur of the captain is caught and  has been hanged  (already)

@admin can it not be so ....that the wind boosts stay on your map, and at maintenance disappear? 

Edited by Thonys

On 12/13/2019 at 5:14 AM, Loras said:

Please make the protractor activated by default on the map.

There is no real reason it cannot be. I hate having to click it on every time I leave a port and open my map. 

It just adds a few clumsy clicks every time you set sail. 

fully agree  it should be on the map by default

or optional (way of live)

also wind direction should be in the upper right corner. of the map . (or optional)

windricht.jpg

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2019 at 1:20 AM, Complete-Disaster said:

New Players are so Spoiled!

you should try it as in the good old days, without the GPS perk.

once you get hang of it, you will not even need the protractor...

Actually, I much preferred the old days before the sextant perk and when the map had a grid. I would periodically take a "sighting" using F11, and plot that location on a map I had printed out on my desk. Repeat as necessary. I was able to navigate with accuracy (to the point of being able to sail across the map and still end up within sighting distance of my destination), it gave me something to do on 4 hour sails, and was immersive re: how navigation was done during the time period modeled.

It's still possible to navigate using the old map with the grid.  No F11 co-ordinates now, but we have the trader tool to triangulate our position.

Makes sailing more interesting to navigate, and the GPS Sextant Perk Icon is not necessary.

When attempting to navigate, the wind boosts reduce immersion, but you can avoid looking at the in-game map and use the old grid map exclusively.

If you try dead reckoning you will be very busy keeping track of your speed and frantically calculating the distance traveled.  Certainly you will not be bored while sailing.  You have no time.

BuglePlay.thumb.jpg.77dcfee44acf7b45dcae5531ad652280.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Macjimm said:

It's still possible to navigate using the old map with the grid.  No F11 co-ordinates now, but we have the trader tool to triangulate our position.

Makes sailing more interesting to navigate, and the GPS Sextant Perk Icon is not necessary.

When attempting to navigate, the wind boosts reduce immersion, but you can avoid looking at the in-game map and use the old grid map exclusively.

If you try dead reckoning you will be very busy keeping track of your speed and frantically calculating the distance traveled.  Certainly you will not be bored while sailing.  You have no time.

BuglePlay.thumb.jpg.77dcfee44acf7b45dcae5531ad652280.jpg

I know, I more brought it up as I wish this method was available on the in-game map (plotting and dead reckoning), as opposed to using a out-of-game map. 

4 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

I know, I more brought it up as I wish this method was available on the in-game map (plotting and dead reckoning), as opposed to using a out-of-game map. 

Actually, the 3rd party map is very handy.  Especially if you have a second monitor.  You can plot and calculate,  and watch the ship's progress simultaneously.  

It's very simple to access the 3rd party map: just press Alt Tab instead of M.

You can also measure distances AND bearings with the ingame map, using the protractor.  But the 3rd party map is a little easier to pretend to navigate with, because you don't have to avert your eyes from the wind boosts.

NA-map.Netlify also offers some navigation tools.  Course plotting, position triangulation, and quick co-ord locations.  It's handy for quick estimates.  There is no substitute for knowing the speed characteristics of your own ship.

I've made friends with the available maps.  I listen to music while playing the game sometimes, it's not a problem that the music is not "in game".  It's nice music and it works well.

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

Actually, the 3rd party map is very handy.  Especially if you have a second monitor.  You can plot and calculate,  and watch the ship's progress simultaneously.  

It's very simple to access the 3rd party map: just press Alt Tab instead of M.

You can also measure distances AND bearings with the ingame map, using the protractor.  But the 3rd party map is a little easier to pretend to navigate with, because you don't have to avert your eyes from the wind boosts.

NA-map.Netlify also offers some navigation tools.  Course plotting, position triangulation, and quick co-ord locations.  It's handy for quick estimates.  There is no substitute for knowing the speed characteristics of your own ship.

I've made friends with the available maps.  I listen to music while playing the game sometimes, it's not a problem that the music is not "in game".  It's nice music and it works well.

Again, I get all of this, been doing it for years. I am saying I would like to see those types of tools available on the in-game map, instead of the "gps" icon currently used.