Game-Labs Forum

5th rate variation (renamed from Trincomalee)

By the way, I am not sure that long guns in broadsides was historically correct (or even possible, due to weight and lenght of the guns compared to ship width).

On photographs and videos of the Victory, the 32pd guns seem to be medium lenght.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, Singh said:

There should be at least 5 "TOP NOTCH" 5th rate ships. To have variety. Right now we have 2, and one is permit. That leaves us with 1 craftable ship that is best of 5th rates. Our beloved Trincomalee.

How do we do that?, 3 ways:

1. Nerf Trinco/Endy 

or

2. Buff other ships

or

3. Introduce more ships that are strong as Trinco/Endy (in my opinion best solution)

Right now in shallow water we have several ships that can take on eachother.

1. Surprise

2. Hercules

3. Pandora

4. Renomee

These 4 are very competitive to eachother. There is a reason I see all of them in shallows. 

they should make the Diana avaliable again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquillas said:

By the way, I am not sure that long guns in broadsides was historically correct (or even possible, due to weight and lenght of the guns compared to ship width).

On photographs and videos of the Victory, the 32pd guns seem to be medium lenght.

at Trafalgar the victory was armed with 

• Gundeck: 30 × 2.75-ton long pattern Blomefield 32-pounders (15 kg)
  • Middle gundeck: 28 × 2.5-ton long 24-pounders (11 kg)
  • Upper gundeck: 30 × 1.7-ton short 12-pounders (5 kg)
  • Quarterdeck: 12 × 1.7-ton short 12-pounder (5 kg)
  • Forecastle: 2 × medium 12-pounder (5 kg), 2 × 68-pounder (31 kg) carronade
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Earl of Grey said:

I dont understand why all ships have to be completely balanced. No one is forced to sail a "bad" ship ... 

Sure some diversity is nice ... but all the effort only for deversity? 

In my opinion this all the time demand of balancing is wasting devs time, If you thinky Endy is OP, just sail an Endy! 

Imagine we have 10 more ships in the Game: the balancing effort would rise and rise and rise ... 

Btw: dont forget the balancing by price that the Players do themselve (think thats the reason behind the permits). Endy is at least 5 times more expensive than a trinco ... 

It´s not a waste of time. The developer put a lot of work in all the ship models, so they all need a place in this game. the mono-meta-ship-shit is just boring. Using the "bad" ships shoud be somehow more rewarding than going the easy way.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Aquillas said:

I don't like them. None of them. I have zero slot on them, in fact zero XP on any of these ships.  And not at all interested in developing XP on them.

People and developers have to admit the fact that some players will never be found of using big tanks, otherwise I would play World of Tanks.

Some players have stats similar to mine:

• I have presently 4000+ hours in game on my main account.
  • I have zero XP in any 1st rate. I have no 1st rate on my docks.
  • I have zero XP in any 2nd rate. I have no 2nd rate on my docks.
  • I have zero XP in any 3rd rate. I have one Wasa on my docks, a gift by a mate. I never used it. 
  • I have 2 slots free on one 4th rate (Ruattvisan), mainly due to screen battles, otherwise I almost don't use it.
  • I unslotted completely the Xebec, for participation to PB. Useless development,  because PB's are for 1st rates only at the moment. I have 1 or 2 slots on the Pandora and the Hermione, the only 5th rates I used since wipe. I tried the Trinc and scrapped it.

And I pretend to play Naval Action, in spite of regular "irony" (and even insults) from capital gankers: "Aquillas, when will you come in fight in a real ship?".

@admin, is my Navy Brig a real ship?

And I pretend to play Naval Action, in spite of regular "irony" (and even insults) from capital gankers: "Aquillas, when will you come in fight in a real ship?".

Aquillas, you do something these golden gankers would never risk in their vain. Keep on sailing the underdog-ships effectively! I love that attitude!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

Aquillas, you do something these golden gankers would never risk in their vain. Keep on sailing the underdog-ships effectively! I love that attitude!

Really,  there is more satisfaction to tag a Indianman in a Lynx than in a Trincomalee or in a Xebec. But this is not a guaranteed victory (the last one escaped from my guns, Grrrrrr).

And I got so many fun fights in tiny ships! No way, or long way, for me to leave the love of my youth. [BASTD] & YMCA for ever!

Can you feel, in a Christian VII, the satisfaction I got when killing in a single (and lucky) Lynx rake, 78 crews out of a Trinc? And you know what? This Trinc was later boarded and captured... :P I did not get the kill, this was just one more smiling event. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, LeBoiteux said:

the wink was more about showing you I wasn't the only one using a classification based on pdr than my actual asking you to take the time to give your opinion about what I wrote. Thanks for that.

Neither did the 9-pdr frigates of the game (except maybe the British version of the Surprise, according to some NA posts iirc, but not to R. Winfield, British Warships in the Age of Sail). Neither did the 12-pdr L'Hermione...

The 9-pdr frigate La Renommée built in 1747 and broken up years before the invention of carronades should be the queen of the frigates in her ocean with her 9-pdr guns... like lots of other frigates. That's the impossible equation. Reserved areas was just an attempt to solve it. At least there are the shallow waters for the 9-pdr frigates.

Sorry about that. I play War Thunder - so my first thought was to non-historical BR matching. As you have said the solution for the early frigates vs. the later more heavily armed ships is not easy. Nor should it be about artificially balancing so every 5th rate has a chance against another 5th rate. Allowing carronades to the earliest ships even if they did not carry them - the 9 pdr frigates is plausible. Had they been active later they would have been upgunned etc.  This did happen with 6th rates. Taken together with removal of main deck carronades on the 18/24 lb frigates this would certainly help diversify the fleet. 

As to different zones I agree it may work to an extent, but it puts the sandbox element at risk. Maybe  just increasing the areas of shallows allowing more area for the 9/12 lb frigates to fight each other. Proper ship drafts and bathymetry would be great, but alas we don't have that.