Game-Labs Forum

Design Contests

Absolute0CA

@Absolute0CA you ever play spore? in that the creatures you made would be uploaded and shared so that they would populate other peoples games.

maybe something like that? missions just denote you fighting "2BBs, 4DDs" as it does in Academy, but then pulls designs from what others have made? would give a TON of variety without having to add lots of missions to the Academy

On 10/25/2019 at 8:52 PM, goduranus said:

I want asymmetric multiplayer! Where our fleets get uploaded, and fight their great battles under AI control, and we will have tournaments.

gratious space battles 1 maybe 2 have that

On 10/25/2019 at 2:52 PM, goduranus said:

I want asymmetric multiplayer! Where our fleets get uploaded, and fight their great battles under AI control, and we will have tournaments.

sounds good.

Also, to the original point...

On 10/25/2019 at 8:41 AM, Absolute0CA said:

I was thinking more like... using the editor to design a ship for a RFP from some “Admiral” RFP equals Request for Proposal. And maybe the best ship gets featured in the academy?

Drachinifel does contest like this every now and then for his Youtube channel - sets out the framework and criteria (class, era, displacement etc), and then asks his viewers to send in ship designs that match that using various existing tools. We'd obviously be using the ship designer in UA:D, but the rest could kinda stay the same... maybe once it's fleshed out to a near-enough-finished state (Steam Early Access release or something), the Devs themselves could hold... dunno... one such contest per month, feature the winning designs prominently somehow. Wouldnt really need further prizes either - this isnt some MMO where you can get currency or swag...

Oh, and off the back of that, I sure hope we'll get the ability to not just save our designs at some point, but also exchange them among eachother. That way anyone that fancies it could have a browse through previous contest winners (with the name of the creator displayed prominently ofc) and take some of 'em into battle themselves... lotsa cool possiblities here 🙂

1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Drachinifel does contest like this every now and then for his Youtube channel - sets out the framework and criteria (class, era, displacement etc), and then asks his viewers to send in ship designs that match that using various existing tools. We'd obviously be using the ship designer in UA:D, but the rest could kinda stay the same... maybe once it's fleshed out to a near-enough-finished state (Steam Early Access release or something), the Devs themselves could hold... dunno... one such contest per month, feature the winning designs prominently somehow. Wouldnt really need further prizes either - this isnt some MMO where you can get currency or swag...

That’s where I got idea from and me and him have been talking and we came up with the idea for a collaboration between the UA:D team and him. Where the would put out a free designer only version of the game for his channel to have design contests on. 

P.S. Sorry Dev team if I’m not supposed to share this. Have a good day!