Game-Labs Forum

Has anyone won 'Torpedo the Dreadnought' ?

Norljus

It took me a while but yes I finally did.  I ended up using two destroyers and getting 4 tubes per ship.  You need to be careful about what angles the ships are all at.  I usefully turn torps off until I think it is a good shot.  Also make sure you have the max amount of torps loaded because the dreadnought took a lot of hits to go down.

19 minutes ago, Goldeneye55 said:

It took me a while but yes I finally did.  I ended up using two destroyers and getting 4 tubes per ship.  You need to be careful about what angles the ships are all at.  I usefully turn torps off until I think it is a good shot.  Also make sure you have the max amount of torps loaded because the dreadnought took a lot of hits to go down.

What tech did you choose ?

Closest I got was with three dds with four duel launchers using 19" electric torps. If there is any angle at all the torps do no damage, the best round I got the BB ran away from me and the time ran out after I got its structure into the 30's. Flooding them is impossible it seems. 

I won it.

You have to max out the # of ships and torpedo tubes so each can fire three or four at a time. You also have to maintain a good distance away from the BB so he won't sink your ships before they can get enough hits to sink him.

You also might have to be bit lucky, I won on my fourth or fifth attempt.

• Like 1

Yes, it is not difficult to win, but you need to pay attention to the details. 

The key is the quality of the torpedoes and the speed and acceleration of your ships. Slow ships will be sunk before they get into range, small torpedoes will bounce. If you use cheap torpedoes, you'll get cheap results. Meanwhile, one or two good hits with a legit torpedo will stop the dreadnought dead in the water and allow water and time to do their thing and sink the boat with minimal loss to your own crews. 

I was having a great time playing the game, doing some fun builds, winning..... 

And then the difficulty curve stop curving and just spiked.  Disappointing.

I find every mission beyond The Power of Dreadnoughts to be exceedingly difficult.  So much so, the game is no longer fun.  It's really unfair actually.  Why do this?  

I've found that ships simply can't land torpedo hits beyond 2km range, for multiple reasons. Even then, that's not the biggest problem.

The Dreadnought in question seems to be using railguns.

It's all well and good to say you get what you pay for in terms of torpedoes, but the point is moot when the enemy can delete your fleet of 30kn torpedo boats with pinpoint accuracy from over 6km away. I've never managed to build a ship that can replicate this, even with radar and maximum fire control upgrades on the Modern Battleship mission.

I'm fine with the challenge of trying to sink a ship specifically designed to survive dozens of torpedoes. I enjoy a challenge.

This isn't a challenge. This is just mean.

Overall, I've found that the enemy cheats, both in weapon accuracy and in ship design rules, but that's for another post.

Edited by JetpackOctopus
missed a letter in "range"

10 hours ago, Potatoes said:

I was having a great time playing the game, doing some fun builds, winning..... 

And then the difficulty curve stop curving and just spiked.  Disappointing.

I find every mission beyond The Power of Dreadnoughts to be exceedingly difficult.  So much so, the game is no longer fun.  It's really unfair actually.  Why do this?  

That's an overexaggeration. The missions aren't that hard, you probably just haven't figured them out yet. A general tip could be to not blindly charge into close combat, unless you're playing the torpedo boat/destroyer missions

Torpedo the dreadnought is (for now) dependent on luck. Luck landing enough long range torpedoes the first time, and damaging engines/rudder. Luck not being instagibbed in your smokescreen while closing in (If the enemy has 2-3% chance of hit, it can still happen and one large caliber hit is usually enough to take out a DD). Luck having an opponent kind enough to not just angle away when sufficienty damaged and finaly luck flooding the dreadnought enough to sink it without running out of explosive fish.

While definitively doable with the last hotfix, I have yet to figure a consistant way of finishing this particular scenario.

I will have a crack at it now. I think i gave up because the ship design thing 

I wanted to build destroyers but the ship builder started off overweight? With nothing attached and it seemed impossible to build anything?

Built 8 Torp Boats, nearly won but ran out of torps. I dont really get why building the destroyers is impossible.... seems weird? Why not just make it only TBs if thats all you can build with the resources available.....

Edited by VonVolks

1 hour ago, VonVolks said:

I will have a crack at it now. I think i gave up because the ship design thing 

I wanted to build destroyers but the ship builder started off overweight? With nothing attached and it seemed impossible to build anything?

Built 8 Torp Boats, nearly won but ran out of torps. I dont really get why building the destroyers is impossible.... seems weird? Why not just make it only TBs if thats all you can build with the resources available.....

I did the mission with 3 destroyers. Try to reduce weight by using other armors and/or less /newer engines.

56 minutes ago, Niomedes said:

I did the mission with 3 destroyers. Try to reduce weight by using other armors and/or less /newer engines.

I dont get it though. If I make destroyers, whatever engine i use or whatever displacement, they are either overweight, or have practically zero weight left AND have to be really slow. To be able to build destroyers with weapons they have to go 22 knots or something ridiculous.....

10 minutes ago, VonVolks said:

How>? Please can you explain the exact build?

1000 displacement, 32 Knots, Very short range, few Bulkheads, Steam M. Expansion engine, Induced draft Boilers, Krupp II Armor, Light shells, Reduced Ammo shells, Reduced Ammo torps, Lyddite I, Electric propulsion, 18 inch torpedos, Rng CII, Advanced Radio and 0 armor in all categories.

The Gun is a 76mm.

screen_1920x1080_2019-10-13_12-06-14.png

Yeah, took me three attempts with different styles of play but I’ve done it twice now. 

I went for which ever tech gave me better torpedo accuracy, and then maxed out the speed at 31 knots. 1 - 4” gun and two single launch 17” torps just on the standard torp tech. Had all three ships detach into their own force, steam straight at the dreadnaught and then first one to get shot at just puts hard rudder in circles, then repeat with another when it changes targets. Close the range and first torps on Aggressive first to get the dreadnaught dodging which reduces its accuracy further. Then when your closer change to safe to make sure they were at a good angle.  Sank in 5 torpedo hits, but would have gone down with 4 if they had all caused flooding. I did loose 2 of my 3 ships, one was to an unlucky hit and one was secondary attrition whilst evading. Second time i only lost 1 but the other two both had moderate damage.

My weather was calm, slight breeze and morning time when I got my first win. It’s just different tactics and play styles depending what you prefer. You could go torpedo spam from range on aggressive or speed and dodge.