Game-Labs Forum

Chainshot Should Damage Rigging

I believe chain-shot should damage rigging. Historically it wasn't just used to put holes in sails, but to cripple a ship by taking out its rigging. I think that we should see some rigging shredded in this game and when you take some damage to specific cables the specific things they do become unusable. Like you can't raise, or set a sail anymore till it is repaired. Or rigging might weaken masts because of less support after being shot away. Or even a yardarm might fall off. Also when you get dis-masted the mast shouldn't just disappear. In real life the mast would be stuck to the ship by rigging so it would act as a sea-anchor dragging in the water.

• Like 2

suggested before that sail % should affect mast hp, the more ropes that are missing the more unstable the mast should be

thinking of it that would also make players use more battle sails and lower sails because of the chance of losing even more hp to the sails

3 minutes ago, Wyy said:

thinking of it that would also make players use more battle sails and lower sails because of the chance of losing even more hp to the sails

Good point, because for now, I'm not even sure if sailling at 55-60% sails is worse than using the battle sails regarding speed and maneuvrability.

Edited by Serk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wyy said:

Given the game's emphasis on manouvering like a jetboat, that seems unlikely.  Probably the only thing that would make people use battle sails is elminating Rig Repairs and/or having the lower sails catch fire a lot. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barbancourt said:

Given the game's emphasis on manouvering like a jetboat, that seems unlikely.  Probably the only thing that would make people use battle sails is elminating Rig Repairs and/or having the lower sails catch fire a lot. 

well i would be happy to test a few battles with and without the sails damage linked up to mast hp

On 5/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, H982 FKL said:

Do we REALLY need to make demasting even easier?

its easy for people that know how the mechanic around mast hp and rig repairs work.

But all other people would expect something stabilized by ropes would be easy to take down, if it becomes a problem maybe divide the hp % of the mast sections even more, but i can imagine people would try to fight atleast in rvr more in battle sails, because else the enemy could just chain and then demast which could be a tactic so people would have to adapt to that.

it would make it more equal across the board

Edited by Guest

I agree that would be pretty stressing especially on my PC. Great point!

On 5/23/2019 at 7:19 AM, Angus MacDuff said:

That's pretty complicated.  Your premise is correct, but we simulate all that you have said by showing holes in the sails.  Anything more would take a lot of horsepower that we need for other stuff. 

XD My friend has PS and I know what you are talking about! XD

On 5/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, Vernon Merrill said:

Could be worse....  Tiger tanks get stopped by road signs in Post Scriptum.

Engine limitations can be such a drag.

I LOVE this idea! It would be very similar to what I said but way less stressful on PCs! You should continue expanding the idea to more people.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, Wyy said:

suggested before that sail % should affect mast hp, the more ropes that are missing the more unstable the mast should be

Yes I think we do. Crippling a ship via dis-masting, etc. blah blah blah... was a huge part of naval warfare. You see in paintings bits of rigging/masts/spars dangling all the time. And most of the time it wasn't the entire mast. It could be a topmast, or spar etc. So I am not saying to make the whole mast fall over in an instant, just have more types of damage maybe.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:37 AM, H982 FKL said:

Do we REALLY need to make demasting even easier?

Thanks for the replies guys! This is one of my first two posts here!