Game-Labs Forum

Compensation for PvE-server crashes on game release

I don't want to talk about all the annoyances of the last crashes and rollbacks on PvE-/Peace-Server. I want to suggesst a proper option to compensate players of this server for all the "inconveniences", as Dev's always called it.

Here's my suggestion:

Don't wipe PvE on game release. Let players keep everything they've achieved until this date: Knowledge, ships, money, outposts and all the stuff in their warehouses and chests. Everything.

And:

Add an option for Hardcore-PvE players, to start the game at release from the ground, if they like to (with no need, to delete their account).

Some may now complain, there's  way too much advantage for pre-release players to new players. But the thing is:

Without a wipe, new players jump into a busy world full of diversity of ships and experienced, motivated (pre-release-) players, much of them willing to give help and assistance to the new and unexperienced captains. This is a Win-Win-Situation to everyone on the Peace-Server.

Have a nice day and Happy Sailing!

Edited by Admiral Olsen
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Admiral Olsen said:

IHere's my suggestion:

Don't wipe PvE on game release. Let players keep everything they've achieved until this date: Knowledge, ships, money, outposts and all the stuff in their warehouses and chests. Everything.

10 minutes ago, Admiral Olsen said:

And:

Add an option for Hardcore-PvE players, to start the game at release from the ground, if they like to.

This option exists. It is "delete your character". 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Promises ... I want to see them kept. And there's no mentioning of players possessions. I don't want to see this stuff erased for "better chances to everyone", as it might be called on release.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ManuelSpain said:

I wish and I expect compensation in XP and money

I'd expect nothing. As annoying and discouraging as it may be, remember that we're still pre release. My view is that it's a nice move from them to give us a form of server wide compensation with zero questions on what has been lost etc. Low time consumption, good damage mitigation, WIN.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zlatkowar said:

remember that we're still pre release. 

Early Access is heavily abused and breaking promises is false-advertising, which is a punishable offense in Steam's USA and Australian jurisdictions. The idea that Early Access can last for years with semi-frozen development, with DLC being sold before the 1.0 features list is complete, is all approaching the level of a scam. There's a simpler principle - if you can buy a DLC, the game should be considered "released". 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ManuelSpain said:

I'm afraid they will not give us more compensation, they'll say they gave us yesterday ..) =

...which is fairly okay in my opinion, when they add one more clear statement to it:

"Captains on PvE-server, your skills and ALL of your possessions are safe on game release."

Nothing less, nothing more. That's what I wish, that would be a true, kept promise for the inconveniences we had to go through here - a true compensation.

Edited by Admiral Olsen
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ManuelSpain said:

I'm afraid they will not give us more compensation, they'll say they gave us yesterday ..) =

Come on, don't be greedy.

The 500 combat medals and 10000 doubloons I suppose you would need much longer to collect, than just over one or two lost days. Maybe a month? Two? If you try hard?

Plus the other things... I tried for months to get another Christian than a 3/5 blue one - and here we got a 5/5 purple one without any efforts, as part of compensations. When I think of the fortunes I spent on like 8 Christian permits over time...

The St Cecilia was a reward ship from one of the closed testbed trials and before this compensation very very rare on PvE server. Could not get captured, could not get bought by note, no permit existed.

What I don't like is, when people receive lots of redeemables for something devs aren't even guilty of (server host is at fault), they answer this by just demanding more. Not fair.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Come on, don't be greedy.

The 500 combat medals and 10000 doubloons I suppose you would need much longer to collect, than just over one or two lost days. Maybe a month? Two? If you try hard?

Plus the other things... I tried for months to get another Christian than a 3/5 blue one - and here we got a 5/5 purple one without any efforts, as part of compensations. When I think of the fortunes I spent on like 8 Christian permits over time...

The St Cecilia was a reward ship from one of the closed testbed trials and before this compensation very very rare on PvE server. Could not get captured, could not get bought by note, no permit existed.

What I don't like is, when people receive lots of redeemables for something devs aren't even guilty of (server host is at fault), they answer this by just demanding more. Not fair.

is not greed, in fact I would not ask for compensation of money, I would ask for more compensation in xp for example, in PVE it is difficult to get fast xp and it would be a juicy compensation. but I doubt very much that they give some compensation ... they will say: captains yesterday we gave you compensation, not today.

2 hours ago, ManuelSpain said:

I wish and I expect compensation in XP and money

That's a silly statement IMO.  Server problems are not the developers' fault unless they deliberately subscribed to a service known to be broken or continuously problematic.  In the same way, if you are driving up the highway and a road is closed down due to a huge sinkhole, does that mean your car manufacturer owes you compensation for your extra gas, extra mileage on your tires, time spent going through the detour?  No.  It's a sinkhole, you deal with it and move on.  Your comments sound like entitlement mentality, and that's another discussion.  You aren't owed anything at all.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenet said:

Early Access is heavily abused and breaking promises is false-advertising, which is a punishable offense in Steam's USA and Australian jurisdictions. The idea that Early Access can last for years with semi-frozen development, with DLC being sold before the 1.0 features list is complete, is all approaching the level of a scam. There's a simpler principle - if you can buy a DLC, the game should be considered "released". 

I agree. However I have no clue how national laws apply and interact on an international scale, and some countries still have very poor regulations when it comes to "what happens on the internet". And I also did not want to mix this specific topic which is about a form of compensation following frequent server crash with the overall game development and funding method.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Papillon said:

That's a silly statement IMO.  Server problems are not the developers' fault unless they deliberately subscribed to a service known to be broken or continuously problematic.  In the same way, if you are driving up the highway and a road is closed down due to a huge sinkhole, does that mean your car manufacturer owes you compensation for your extra gas, extra mileage on your tires, time spent going through the detour?  No.  It's a sinkhole, you deal with it and move on.  Your comments sound like entitlement mentality, and that's another discussion.  You aren't owed anything at all.

It is not about duty or obligation. it's about having a detail with us for the inconveniences!a detail, a way to thank and tell us: we love you and forgive you for the inconvenience ..