Game-Labs Forum

A Word on Group Missions

I'd like to bring about the discussion on the current iteration of Group Missions. Let me be clear, I am glad they work now (everyone gets in fine) and I like that they seem to be like mini Epics.

I have been made aware that there are different types, 5th rate, 4th rate, and lineship group missions? someone correct me if I am wrong.

For Swedish ports in the Upper Antilles were have 3 varieties of "5th Rate Group Missions." all allow up to 3 players in 5th rates to join

1. You fight against a 1st rate and a 3rd rate.

2. you fight against a 3rd rate, a 4th rate and 2 - 5th rates.

3. you fight against a 4th rate and 4 - 5th rates.

After doing a couple missions (to which we only chose doing the 3 option) I believe option 1 and 2 are not worth the effort and time for the rewards you get. I believe option 1 and 2 cannot be done in a reasonable time and so in my opinion and the opinions of others that did the missions with me. only option 3 is worth doing. We used an Essex and 2 Dianas.

the Rewards we get per mission is 1,800 doubloons, 3 mission chests, and 3 silver chests. Per player that is: 600 Doubloons, 1 mission and 1 silver chest.

When it comes to the 3rd mission option, I personally think the reward is "ok" if not a little low. I do not understand why the rewards went down to 1,800 doubloons instead of the 3,000 before.

For Mission option 1 and 2, the rewards are too low, the NPC layout you have to fight is hard and takes significantly more time to achieve victory. 

Conclusion (from our perspective):

The only Group Mission option worth doing is option 3. Because the rewards Do not scale higher - there is no reason for a group to do the harder missions. 

I highly suggest 2 things

1. I would lower the difficulty on the group missions, I would suggest lowering the AI rate difficulty to be like so
A. Group Mission #1 - 3rd rate, 1-2 4th rate(s)
B. Group Mission #2 - 2 - 4th rates, 1-2 5th rate(s)
C. Group Mission #3 - 1 - 4th rate, 3 - 5th rates

2. I would SCALE the rewards to be more rewarding as you do the harder group mission
A. Group Mission #1 - 3,000 Doubloons, 3 mission, 3 Silver, 2 Gold Chests
B. Group Mission #2 - 2,400 Doubloons, 3 Mission, 3 Silver, 1 Gold Chests
C. Group Mission #3 - 1,800 Doubloons, 3 Mission, 3 Silver Chests

For any and all Group Missions, I believe this would allow any group with any ship or any skill level the ability to understand that more risk really gives more reward. Currently they are all the same reward and immensely more difficult scaled up.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Why cant there be a group mission that pits your 3 5th rates against 3 AI 5th rates?  These missions are only good for the top half of the server.

Agree. Many will never try group missions due to the difficulty level.

• Like 3

Just now, Vizzini said:

PVE is end game content ? or are we talking about the PVE server ?

No, it's on PVP.  The issue for me is that it shouldn't be considered end game content.  It's just (IMO) another vehicle to acquire chests and XP.  A year ago you could do missions against relatively equal AI that allowed you to level or grind.  This is important for newer players.  I'll probably never do a group mission, but I still think it's important for the more social players (presumably the majority).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

PVE is end game content ? or are we talking about the PVE server ?

I'm sure thats what Admin said when asked about the difficulty previously. But I could be wrong and do not have the time to look through Admin's old posts on it and I do not believe they appreciate us doing that.

9 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

What will people do when they inevitably gather ALL the top tier loot?  

Serious question.

Spend them on ships, fight more or just put them on ships which are to stay in docks forever.

who cares?

end game is pvp and rvr, best players already have many of all best mods. Do you think people will quit like “I have all the best loot, now I can uninstall this game”

I tell you something Epic Fleet Missions are easier than group missions, problem is to find a big group to do them.