Game-Labs Forum

Perk Re-Work

So there are a few criticisms of the perk system on other threads and maybe it should be discussed here instead (again).  Something for Devs to re-consider (perhaps). 

I believe (IMHO) that perks should be tied to individual ships and not to the player.  We all have ships that we use for different purposes and perks should reflect that.  The perks that I want for a trader are not even close to what I need for a solo hunter and if I'm PVE'ing , I want something different there.  Additionally, many of us seem to agree that some of the current perks should not exist and these functions should be automatic for all.  Some of these include; Fleet 1, prepared, Double shot/Charge, etc.  I would also add the about to be added Sextant.  Comments?

• Like 8

I like this: It would introduce even more complexity to ship fitting and theory crafting which is good yes. But the downsides?

A kind 'optimal' perk setting for any given ship/fit would develop and everyone would then replicate it, and so there would actually be less variation? In the current way you have to judge your overall play style and activities and try and set perks for multiple possibilities/situations. (I only ever change my perks if I have a PB anyway).

Your toon is set up for pvp, but you want to do a quick trade run. Do you pay the doubloons to reset your perks and carry more cargo, go faster, have stronger sails or do you just yolo it as is? This choice would be removed. Is that a good thing?

How would you integrate non-ship specific perks into this? Like the crafting ones? You would end up having a 'crafting cutter' which you would jump into when ever you wanted to craft? (or a 'Fishing Victory' lol )

• Like 3

I'd agree shot types should not be perks. I don't think perks should be applied to the ship but perhaps just adding a couple more perk points and making some of the must have perks and making automatic would be enough. Too many perks go completely unused. Good topic for discussion. 

54 minutes ago, Hullabaloo 'The Thief' said:

A kind 'optimal' perk setting for any given ship/fit would develop and everyone would then replicate it, and so there would actually be less variation?

Different fighting styles would engage a different perk set.  I see what you're saying that there would be standard "packages", but they should still vary based on size of ship and personal style.  We'd definitely need a larger variety of perks if the Devs ever wanted to institute this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hullabaloo 'The Thief' said:

Your toon is set up for pvp, but you want to do a quick trade run. Do you pay the doubloons to reset your perks and carry more cargo, go faster, have stronger sails or do you just yolo it as is? This choice would be removed. Is that a good thing? 

Not sure this really adds anything to the game in the first place. Mark/doubloon costs for perk resets are a nuisance and have always been a nuisance.

1 hour ago, Hullabaloo 'The Thief' said:

But the downsides?

A kind 'optimal' perk setting for any given ship/fit would develop and everyone would then replicate it, and so there would actually be less variation? In the current way you have to judge your overall play style and activities and try and set perks for multiple possibilities/situations. (I only ever change my perks if I have a PB anyway).

And most players I've ever seen talk about Perks use 5 of the same, like, 6 perks. To be a downside, it has to be worse than what we already have, doesn't it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, greybuscat said:

Not sure this really adds anything to the game in the first place. Mark/doubloon costs for perk resets are a nuisance and have always been a nuisance.

And most players I've ever seen talk about Perks use 5 of the same, like, 6 perks. To be a downside, it has to be worse than what we already have, doesn't it?

Don't think so either, when the same perks are used for 90% of interactions then they've elevated beyond being perks. If something has found an almost mandatory status within the game and that something is a perk, maybe it's high time to like at just integrating that into the meta perminently and freeing up perk space for ya know, actual perks like carronade master, control and emergency repairs. But these are all handled by the crew, not by random chance so there should be no perks, just officer skills.

Well some of the perks should not be perks at all or should have been granted for everyone. 

IMO 90% of players use same setup, so there is really no option, especially if you are involved in PVP.

All of players I know use FC1, doubleshot, charge, expert carpenter and prepared. Never seen anybody using any of the economy perks unless it is an alt. The only option is to have or not to have determined defender, which is considered great by some players. 

IMO FC1 and prepared should be granted for free. It usually took hours for ships to get into firing possition, so I see no reason why you should start battle without guns loaded. 

• Like 1

I agree %100 with some perks should not be a perk like "Some of these include; Fleet 1, prepared, Double shot/Charge, etc." 

I also like to see some skill books save slots, for quick perk set up. Like many hundred other games. Like you can rename them, use quickly on any ship.

When for example I select the loadout 1, which I renamed Boarding 1 : AOS / BOFR / Shooting / Marines 15 / Reparing , that loadout automaticaly applies to my ship.