Game-Labs Forum

Pre-Orders stopped - because Paypal

I found a solution to the problem! I've built a shrine to Game-Labs and am throwing my money at it every morning and evening. It calms me nerves and allows me to peacefully and calmly wait for the resolution. I wish I could throw my money at Game-Labs directly, but at least my dreams of horrible, horrible things (indeed) happening to paypal employees stopped to at most few a week. Used to have them even when not sleeping. I call it a definite improvement!

I found a solution to the problem! I've built a shrine to Game-Labs and am throwing my money at it every morning and evening. It calms me nerves and allows me to peacefully and calmly wait for the resolution. I wish I could throw my money at Game-Labs directly, but at least my dreams of horrible, horrible things (indeed) happening to paypal employees stopped to at most few a week. Used to have them even when not sleeping. I call it a definite improvement!

Sounds nice,can I visit your shrine?

It must hurt Game Labs a lot.

The game is exploding on Youtube and Twitch.

People are hyped NOW.

I bet a lot would impulse buy in a heartbeat right now.

The longer it takes for Paypal/Steam/Solution the more money they might lose when the hype will die down again as it always does, when the next game/hype comes.

Best regard

Oli

Sounds nice,can I visit your shrine?

@I`ll try this on my wife this evening - I wonder if it works ;)

I also waiting for any channel to obtain NA access.

I hurts me even more now, because I was considering key purchase lat friday, but as i thought it was already too late to get it on that day, I gave up and was going to buy it during the week... Damn

Any news/updates from developers on this?  You know you are loosing customers (myself included), hopefully most will come back (myself included)...

It's not their fault Paypal are fools.  They're rushing what they can, and Paypal is moving with its regular glacial slowness to restore their account.  Blaming the developers for this isn't productive and I feel you're a little out of line.

• Like 1

Is it possible to set up Amazon Pay account in the meantime instead?

Paypal doesn't seem to be in a hurry to take your money, I'm sure Amazon wouldn't say no...

edit:  It's a long weekend here for me, so I am really keen to get in!  lol

• Like 1

It's not their fault Paypal are fools.  They're rushing what they can, and Paypal is moving with its regular glacial slowness to restore their account.  Blaming the developers for this isn't productive and I feel you're a little out of line.

Not wishing to make myself a pariah on this forum, because I plan on being a regular, but I'm not going to roll over either.

Out of line?  Not at all if you consider that they likely created this issue themselves by only responding and issuing keys once a week.  Somebody panicked and complained about the absence of response to their purchase, and bingo!  We've got this situation. 

Paypal are leeches on society, I do not defend them, but open your eyes.  The devs have to live with a situation ultimately of their own making.  It was a poor business decison, and now people who are interested in picking this up cannot.  As mentioned earlier by someone else, the casual purchaser will dry up and disappear.  Maybe that is fine with some in the community but I imagine it is not what the devs want.

• Like 1

Not wishing to make myself a pariah on this forum, because I plan on being a regular, but I'm not going to roll over either.

Out of line?  Not at all if you consider that they likely created this issue themselves by only responding and issuing keys once a week.  Somebody panicked and complained about the absence of response to their purchase, and bingo!  We've got this situation. 

Paypal are leeches on society, I do not defend them, but open your eyes.  The devs have to live with a situation ultimately of their own making.  It was a poor business decison, and now people who are interested in picking this up cannot.  As mentioned earlier by someone else, the casual purchaser will dry up and disappear.  Maybe that is fine with some in the community but I imagine it is not what the devs want.

We can disagree without making ourselves pariahs, we're both gentlemen and can disagree civilly sir.   :)

This is an early Alpha.  The process to create keys is quite likely a time consuming, manual process.  The team is quite small, maybe six developers if memory serves.  To have a developer standing by, poised to manually create a key each time an order is received is a waste of time.  Paying someone to do only this task is uneconomical.  They are doing the best they can as an independent development house with extremely limited resources, and despite that turning out an amazing product.  

Paypal is known for knee-jerk over-reactions, and favoring the buyer over the seller, even when no fraud has occurred.  Even after receiving proof that no fraud occurred, they often don't care, and won't restore the access/funds that they initially stole back from the seller.  They weren't a great choice for payment processing, but I'm sure there were specific reasons the developers had to rely on their service.

I agree that this will cause some loss of sales, and surely the Developers don't like that idea, however, agitating on the forums and acting like you are owed a response when they have been quite forthcoming on what is going on isn't going to help the situation, nor will it make things move any faster.  Steam will not allow a company to start charging for their product until certain criteria are met, and Naval Action either doesn't meet that criteria, or isn't ready/able to make that jump.  So that leaves NA between a rock and a hard place.  A payment processor that is uncooperative, and a distribution method for which they can not utilize the payment features.  Rather than take a goodly amount of time better spent developing to make a change in processor, they likely have deemed it a better use of time to keep developing while Paypal moves slowly towards restoring their account.

In the end, many of us waited months or a year or more to get access.  And while I understand your impatience, this is an Alpha, things are going to happen that prevent you (and even existing testers sometimes) from playing.  The best bet is to be patient and watch for more news.  Causing the developers stress does nothing more than negatively impact their productivity and the product they are putting out.  They're smart folks, they are heavily invested in giving us a great game, and until the game is deemed ready for release, it's a test and we must endure bugs, problems, and interruptions.  Anyone not willing to put up with issues should not even be considering trying to help test the game just now, but should wait until a later phase when there is a higher degree of stability and a more reasonable expectation that everything works and works well.

ETA: Your pre-order is just that, a pre-order of a game that hasn't been released yet.  It is not a guarantee of immediate game access, it is not a guarantee of a stable, working product.  That you're given access to Sea Trials as part of that pre-order is just a cherry on top - that's an extremely generous gesture by the developers.  Treat it as a gift, and please have some respect for those that are granting that gift.

• Like 3

Well, I may not be sending daily emails to PayPal about clearing this up, but they did make the mistake of asking me to fill out a survey on the assistance I got for my previous email.....

So a second direction to try and get it resolved was filled out!

• Like 1

PayPal is essentially hurting GameLabs' business with this mistake and subsequent attitude. Like someone mentioned, the game is getting quite a bit of exposure on YT now and not being able to buy the game is basically denying GL any customers.

I realize that companies like PayPal are lawyered up the wazoo, but any dimwitted motherfucker can spend 5 minutes researching and realize GL isn't some kind of shady shell company ran by 'Nigerian princes', so the ball should really be in PayPal's court here. Any chance a sternly worded letter from an attorney/jurist/etc can change anything? 

Any chance a sternly worded letter from an attorney/jurist/etc can change anything? 

Nope. They provide a service under a licence, and you can bet your pants they DID consider that in their license. They are acting well within their rights.

Please don't get me wrong, I wish the best for devs, and will endeavor to be patient. 

Just wish I had bought into it months ago when we heard about it.  Just seem to be sucked dry lately from pre-release overload...

I bought it a month ago - and I adore the game - I wish I had heard of it back when the testers were driving a stick ships.

Please be patient - you will be glad when you do get it.