Game-Labs Forum

We all noticed with last super-patch we got nice new upgrades in great number, hidden in those mission chests. But where to put them? Most people have their favorite line-up of upgrades already for their ships and there is no place for operating with the new ones without sacrificing the established ones. So there is no win without losing something.

So, in my opinion, many new upgrades ask for one thing - the proper place to implement them, or a new row of upgrade slots on your ship. And only on that ship.

Now the details...

...don't let that be "just another upgrade slot" added to the existing one, making 6 or 7 instead of 3 - 5. Instead, I want to suggest here an individual upgrade row for each ship. Yes Sir. This upgrade row will not get opened for all ships of that type, but only for this ship alone. Most ships which go through your hands may never see them opening up. Regard it asa  characteristic you unleash by learning to know the 'personality' of that ship which makes it different to others of same type. So, even in your own hands, one Indefatigable will after months of use not be like another Indefatigable. You set these individual upgrade slots free by using that ship, your other Indefatigables you may own are not affected and need to have them opened for themselves again. Each time.

So it works pretty much like the skillbook slots, but it is for upgrades, and only for this particular build. I hope everyone understands what I mean.

This way we have nice and better use of the new number of upgrades without spamming upgrade slots everywhere. I propose a maximum of three slots on a fully 'understood' ship.

This idea underlines the personal relation some Captains feel towards a specific ship. Like in real life we treat our car like it is not an identical example of a series of the same. People who just use ships like handkerchiefs and throw them away for "making score" may have no use for it - I do not address them. They will never enjoy the knowledge level of a perfect ship-captain relationship, with full understanding of ups and downs that ship has, and how far the master can demand the ship to perform. Only the understanding Captain will bring out new usability options out of his ship, symbolized by the new upgrade slots uncovered one by one by experience done on that particular ship.

Initiative promotes staying with your fav ship. Especially owners of purple or golden class ship will want to max out the usefulness of their premium ships this way.

Ah yes, and next we should be entitled to give them names. :)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Ah yes, and next we should be entitled to give them names. :)

Still can't understand how we cannot have some ship history and custom names for them O.o

We live in an era of 4K videos, but cannot store few bits of text data? O.o

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

So make ships even more op and about gear than skill and for people who have too many upgrades. 5/5 is plenty too much as it is.

No thanks, sorry. I prefer not to have ships with floating battery and 15knots, (over exaggerating) just takes the fun out of it.

Just a poor sailors opinion.

There is a top level of effects to every sort of characteristic which can be influenced. Speed, turnrate, reload etc . You will just have more variety. Who can be against more variety? Possibly just poor sailors. :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OjK said:

Still can't understand how we cannot have some ship history and custom names for them O.o

I am dead against custom shipnames. For THIS reason.

@Cetric de Cornusiac personally I really like the idea of gaining additional skill and knowledge by sailing one specific ship for a long time. However I don't think it should be implemented in the game for the simple reason that it will only increase the gear gap AND the fear of losing ships. There's already too many people who are too afraid to engage even weaker opponents (be it in numbers or firepower) for fear of losing their ships.

• Like 1

Just now, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

There is a top level of effects to every sort of characteristic which can be influenced. Speed, turnrate, reload etc . You will just have more variety. Who can be against more variety? Possibly just poor sailors. :)

It'll just be used for the same meta stat hoarding (boarding and speed) like always 

1 minute ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

People would be even more afraid to lose ships, and rage even harder when they do.

I want people have a closer relation to their ships. Emotion is always fine for a game. Indifference and treating ships like handkerchifs is the opposite.

And what do you do with the many new upgrades then? Just put them in a museum?

If you weren't so scared of fighting "truly" even odds you would lose your ship more and have lots of places for those upgrades,

Those who have too many clearly are gankers, or only fight battles they know they'll won.

Nothing wrong with losing ships, the problem is the ships that don't sink as they are fighting battles that are tooooooo easy for them. Boring

Edited by traitorous mctraitoro
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

There's already too many people who are too afraid to engage even weaker opponents (be it in numbers or firepower) for fear of losing their ships.

That is human. Very human. Do we have to assume Captains back in 18th century were eager to risk their ships? No. On the contrary, they were even more careful, because their very physical life may depend on it. Lucky we - our lives or health do not depend on sinking with our virtual ship.

What I want to say is - the fear to lose something you cannot erase. And a sound understanding of how far you can go in risk belongs to warfare.

The problem with op ships, i.e. ships with super mods and 5/5, is they are unrealistic, and makes them "out of Thier class."

We have 3rd rates with speeds of 5ths as strong as 2nds. And the same time we have 4ths as strong as 3rds and max speed. We have 5th rates rage baording 3rds and over running Thier crew with muskets at half the crew.

What your suggesting just makes them even more rediculas. If your talking realism then you can't pick and choose. If your fighting a 3rd rate in a slow 5th you should be throwing Nelson overboard and sailing the other way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

If you weren't so scared of fighting "truly" even odds you would lose your ship more and have lots of places for those upgrades,

Those who have too many clearly are gankers, or only fight battles they know they'll won.

Nothing wrong with losing ships, the problem is the ships that don't sink as they are fighting battles that are tooooooo easy for them. Boring

ganking is necessary to aquire wealth. No one can afford to lose multiple ships a day, some even one. Ganking is acceptable once and a while but to prefer ganks over even fights it a bit like a bad addiction. That's the problem we seem to have this meta, is player's ferocious appetite to completely dominate every battle and getting wealthy. If that means spending 2 weeks straight doing nothing but hitting tbrigs in your req fleet or slapping noobs 10 to 1 then you bet your ass people are gonna do it.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

ganking is necessary to aquire wealth.

I'm sorry but that's just simply not true. I'm ganking you split what little reward there is between everyone there, not to mention the gankers are all crazy greedy and just sink the ship everyone franticly trying to get the most shots on them.

So anyone who gets most of their wealth from ganks are simply put only gankers, you would have to gank 10 times for every 1 normal battle.

Necessary - waht?

You earn more doing anything else with your time than ganking, considering most last quite a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

What I want to say is - the fear to lose something you cannot erase. And a sound understanding of how far you can go in risk belongs to warfare.

True. Sadly a sound understanding of how far one can go with what you have is what a lot of people ar severely lacking in this game....

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

ganking is necessary to aquire wealth.

Pardon my language here but that statement is indeed complete and utter bullshit.

Unless you are the main damage dealer in siad gank you get next to nothing out of it, with the added "benefit" of learning jack shit about how to actually fight. Noone gets better from just collecting easy wins by sheer force. Also a 60 minute trade run in two Tbrigs can get you a net profit of over 200k. So even with buying dubloons you are faster than by being one of 6 or so guys who all get an assist on one or two lineships, especially if those two know what they are doing and last through almost the whole 90 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

I'm sorry but that's just simply not true. I'm ganking you split what little reward there is between everyone there, not to mention the gankers are all crazy greedy and just sink the ship everyone franticly trying to get the most shots on them.

So anyone who gets most of their wealth from ganks are simply put only gankers, you would have to gank 10 times for every 1 normal battle.

Necessary - waht?

You earn more doing anything else with your time than ganking, considering most last quite a while.

It's more efficient to gank 3 groups of noobs than it is to fight an even battle and risk losing your ship as well is time it takes to return to your group.

Imagine how hard it is for noobs to maintain noob status, it's just as hard for vets to retain vet status.

Edited by Slim McSauce