Game-Labs Forum

Closing ports

Old Crusty

Question

I don’t know if this is a bug or not. 

The Btitish took Omoa where I have an outpost. I had an LGV, and a Trader Brig with a few things in warehouse. I loaded the LGV and went to Truxillo and then tried to close my outpost in Omoa. 

The warning came up and said I would lose any ships and all stuff in warehouse, it had me type close, then it said unable to close because I have a ship docked. So now I can’t close Omoa unless I jump in a basic cutter and waste 45 minutes of my valuable time to do a round trip to Omoa so I can close the output?

I am hoping this is a bug and not another scheme to get me out sailing (wasting my time for no gain)

8 answers to this question

It's always a good practice to go over your port manually before you close it. This sounds like an improvement. If you plan to close a port, you should close it while you're still in it, if you plan to sail out of there. This allows you to hypothetically set up an outpost, if you need it, along the way; and it helps you make sure that you don't/didn't accidentally demolish something by mistake.

Edited by Galt

1 hour ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

I think this was a response to an issue with people closing and creating ports while in dock and still losing their ships.

Exactly.  Not a bug or scheme to get you out sailing, but a feature to keep people from accidentally deleting their ships. You could sink some Tbrigs on your way down to close it and score some doubloons so you won't be wasting your time. 

24 minutes ago, Galt said:

It's always a good practice to go over your port manually before you close it. This sounds like an improvement. If you plan to close a port, you should close it while you're still in it, if you plan to sail out of there.

What if you can't get to it?  If a port has been captured while you're away, which often happens, you don't want to spend an hour or two sailing to the other side of the map to what is now enemy port to close an outpost you can no longer use anyway.  Also, many of us are at our outpost limit, and we need to quickly shed old outposts to make new outposts in a pinch to participate in dynamic game play events.  This became even more important with "patrol zones" where we now need to have a bunch of free port outposts, and then frequently delete them later on at times when we have other needs. 

15 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

You could sink some Tbrigs on your way down to close it and score some doubloons so you won't be wasting your time. 

I always consider "sinking Tbrigs" to be wasting my time. 

1 minute ago, Barbancourt said:

What if you can't get to it?  If a port has been captured while you're away, which often happens, you don't want to spend an hour or two sailing to the other side of the map to what is now enemy port to close an outpost you can no longer use anyway.  Also, many of us are at our outpost limit, and we need to quickly shed old outposts to make new outposts in a pinch to participate in dynamic game play events.  This became even more important with "patrol zones" where we now need to have a bunch of free port outposts, and then frequently delete them later on at times when we have other needs. 

I always consider "sinking Tbrigs" to be wasting my time. 

not anymore AI ships can give you 500+ doubloons