Game-Labs Forum

Realistic Repairs and large crews

What is the point of having a 850 man crew if they quit making repairs after three times? I think they should be able to continue to make repairs indefinitely - but at a limited pace say 1 repair every 4 or 5 min game time.

I just had to sit in a totally de-masted Victory with zero repairs and 838 surviving crew for 20 minutes while a couple frigats finished us off from behind.

At 60/1 compression 20 min would be TWENTY HOURS IRL

It was unpleasant - IRL we would have done SOMETHING with those 20 hours!

------------

Couldn't we have a gain back of 1 repair ever 4 hours IRL - or ever 4 min in game time.

Let's encourage those frigat captains to "get busy"

:)

• Like 1

I like the idea of getting rid of the "three repairs and you're out" mechanic, but I would like to see a resource system used as an upper limit.

For instance, extra rope and cloth for sails could be held in cargo, and setting the "repair sails" command will set your men to work on the sails and related. For hull repairs, a seperate resource of oakum and spare planks. Masts, or course, a limited number of spares. Pumps n stuff should also have a seperate repair. Repair could be completed at the same time, but at slower rates than focusing on one or the other.

Myself and Treekin were the ones demasting poor Amp here (and some damn fine gunnery it was, if I do say so :). Wasting multiple repairs with a "one size for all" repair can really put a ship at a disadvantage.

It's working for the bug hunting, but yes, I agree, there needs to be new mechanic. No one wants to see a ship they've just battered to pieces, come flying back at you in 10 minutes raring to go, but at the same time the '3 repairs and you're done' can't be the final solution.

There is an argument that one would have limited supplies with which to repair the hull during combat, but is that limited to 3 times? It's a tough one to figure out.

Maybe 3 repairs for sails, 3 for hull and 3 for magazine, pump and rudder. Combined with an increase in casualties from gunfire and splintering, a decrease in leaks and sinking in general, along with a morale system eventually, a repair change like this might see us move towards that 'floating hulk that strikes' type of defeat and less of the 'everyone down to the odd place in 3,2,1' as we have now.

Morale.

Get that implemented and the three repairs can be done away with.

Ships sinking is the only way to achieve victory at the moment, other than boarding.  As such, damage needs to stick or battles would last for hours.

I like the idea of getting rid of the "three repairs and you're out" mechanic, but I would like to see a resource system used as an upper limit.

For instance, extra rope and cloth for sails could be held in cargo, and setting the "repair sails" command will set your men to work on the sails and related. For hull repairs, a seperate resource of oakum and spare planks. Masts, or course, a limited number of spares. Pumps n stuff should also have a seperate repair. Repair could be completed at the same time, but at slower rates than focusing on one or the other.

Myself and Treekin were the ones demasting poor Amp here (and some damn fine gunnery it was, if I do say so :). Wasting multiple repairs with a "one size for all" repair can really put a ship at a disadvantage.

That was some good shootin - and you guys got the damage points to prove it (I think both over 16,000) - but having Deanna Troy on your crew IS an unfair gunnery advantage.

And we certainly proved why SOL need a LINE! (my aching derriere)

Overall I think it was an EPIC battle - I got a lot of damage points as well ;)

Did you record it?

I think this is what your asking for.

My own few cents is to wait for damage model 4.0.

Why? Because it incooperates so much more details to the damage a ship takes.

Right now the repairs we have are not optimal. Id like to see a different approach on repairs in the future, too.

Not exactly - a larger crew should have more ability to repair than a smaller crew.

That was some good shootin - and you guys got the damage points to prove it (I think both over 16,000) - but having Deanna Troy on your crew IS an unfair gunnery advantage.

And we certainly proved why SOL need a LINE! (my aching derriere)

Overall I think it was an EPIC battle - I got a lot of damage points as well ;)

Did you record it?

As long as Troi doesn't helm my ship I think I'll be ok (I remember a joke that says the only time she drove the ship she crashed it into a planet).

I wish I did record it cause I have a few folks that don't believe me that targetting masts is effective, or that it's just plain luck to hit them. :(

My idea about the repairs, due to I agree that is not optimal at all, is that there should be an algorithm which variates among the ship classes, and consists on this:

1. A repairing constant (RC). Should be different for every ship.

2. This RC consists on, basically, your crew are auto repairing constantly the different elements of your ship at a certain speed (Hull, sails, leaks and rudder have different speed).

3. The less crew you have, the lower speed your crew repairs each element. But the concept is a kind constant repair.

Three basic points where other sub-points could raise to complement and complete, of course, this idea.

Perhaps someone else exposed the same, but I hadn't time to read all this thread this morning :D

Greetings!

Not exactly - a larger crew should have more ability to repair than a smaller crew.

The larger ship and more guns takes a far larger crew to operate, and a larger crew and more stores to repair.  I'm not sure there's a ton of difference in the ratio of men to broken stuff quite frankly.