Game-Labs Forum

[suggestion] Rottin' wood

Putting aide all technical choices, either by design or by limitations...

To simulate the natural decay of a wooden ship I suggest the following.

- Maximum HP of the ship to lower for % value for a given amount of repairs done.

Example: Ship will decay 1% of the maximum  HP for each 25% HP recovered ( combined masts and hull ).

So a 1000 HP ship, would become a 990HP ship after spending enough repairs to recover 250HP combined.

Only takes effect after return to port.

There's no pros nor cons other than simulating lifetime of woods in a abstract way given we do not use time nor timers.

• Like 3

Although I like the idea of simulating the lifetime of woods I think this would essentially make ships used in major battles a one time use only as the degradation to HP would very quickly become a concern. In a major engagement most ships heavily involved in the action will repair over 50% and some will repair a lot more than that using several fully modded repairs during a single battle, meaning you could be losing 3% to 5% of your HP for each major engagement. So unless there was some way to reverse this loss by either drydocking or some special repair you would find most people would choose to use new ships rather than second hand ones for major battles.

There are many such suggestions that could be made that would simulate the reality of sailing ships in this period, but I am not sure the all translate well into the game. For example we do not take into account the marine growth on ships and how it affects their speed. Marine growth was a major issue especially in the warm waters of the Caribbean but I think it would detract a bit from gameplay if we had to consider it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Archaos said:

Although I like the idea of simulating the lifetime of woods I think this would essentially make ships used in major battles a one time use only as the degradation to HP would very quickly become a concern. In a major engagement most ships heavily involved in the action will repair over 50% and some will repair a lot more than that using several fully modded repairs during a single battle, meaning you could be losing 3% to 5% of your HP for each major engagement. So unless there was some way to reverse this loss by either drydocking or some special repair you would find most people would choose to use new ships rather than second hand ones for major battles.

There are many such suggestions that could be made that would simulate the reality of sailing ships in this period, but I am not sure the all translate well into the game. For example we do not take into account the marine growth on ships and how it affects their speed. Marine growth was a major issue especially in the warm waters of the Caribbean but I think it would detract a bit from gameplay if we had to consider it.

admin said multi reps in battle is a gold sink and I did suggest the drydock thing a while back to have another goldsink instead of repairs.

3 hours ago, Archaos said:

Reversing the process would make the mechanic void.

This is not about money sink. ( there's no possible money sink when 300000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 gold are floating around )

It is about ship sink.

Thanks for the inpu tthough.

2 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Reversing the process would make the mechanic void.

This is not about money sink. ( there's no possible money sink when 300000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 gold are floating around )

It is about ship sink.

Thanks for the inpu tthough.

We have a ship sink, it's called going out and fighthing PvE/PvP, if folks don't want to do that and horbe tons of ships stop trying to change the way they play the game.  No one is trying to force you to change the way you play the game.

Admin all ready said they won't do things like degration of ships or having to have rations on ships for the crew.

Not to mention just think how long it would take to recode stuff, stop aksing for more coded stuff and lets get what patches we need out.  This would mean also a complete ship wip which we will get any way upon release.  Also that gold we have so much , is suppose to be wiped too and change with the new econ patch.   Folks might find out they aren't as rich as they think they are once that drops, if it ever does drop.

#SOON

#BRINGBACKPAINTS

Wasn't the removal of choosable ship qualities in crafting (not RNG like now) done because everyone wanted to have gold and thus better stats anyway?

If repairing reduces a ship's life, I'm pretty sure we will have a LOT more people runnin in battles, because.. they don't want to fight, thus possibly have to repair, and make their ship worse.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:18 PM, admin said:

[...] lets focus on fighting and fun.

A side effect though could be that only brand new ships are used for PBs (for obv. reasons, competetive aspect), and thus the "rest" are sold cheap to get rid off, and possibly be used elsewhere in OW PvP.

Either could happen, but I don't like the general idea.

• Like 2