Game-Labs Forum

Stop hiding behind aliases on the forums

A lot of people on the forums use a different name from the name they use in game. I've noticed very often that these people tend to be the most aggressive and confrontational on the forums and/or regularly claim great PvP prowess within the game itself. 

The purpose of this post is twofold, firstly to just ask those people WHY they refuse to use their in game name and secondly to challenge them to do so. As far as I can tell the only reason to not use your in game name is if your forum account is more active/successful than your game account.

• Like 11

It enables then to be total asses without social repercussions, usually due to having a small penis, or mommy and daddy didn't love them.  They probably listen to Linken Park and holler "No one understands my pain!" from their mom's basement when asked to shower or trim their neckbeard.  Just pity them, the sad little things.

• Like 4

You guys went from complaining about people being overly aggressive to being super aggressive yourselves in about 3/4ths of a sentence. Its not a huge deal honestly although I guess some people do hide behind their name. I put it in my description because I couldn't be bothered to change forum name.

Edited by Capt Aerobane
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Atreides said:

It enables then to be total asses without social repercussions, usually due to having a small penis, or mommy and daddy didn't love them.  They probably listen to Linken Park and holler "No one understands my pain!" from their mom's basement when asked to shower or trim their neckbeard.  Just pity them, the sad little things.

escalated.gif

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

A lot of people on the forums use a different name from the name they use in game. I've noticed very often that these people tend to be the most aggressive and confrontational on the forums and/or regularly claim great PvP prowess within the game itself. 

The purpose of this post is twofold, firstly to just ask those people WHY they refuse to use their in game name and secondly to challenge them to do so. As far as I can tell the only reason to not use your in game name is if your forum account is more active/successful than your game account.

You'll never know my true Identity!

• Like 1

It doesn't matter "who" any of us are, and your assessment of my "PVP prowess" has absolutely nothing to do with what I post here.  I've had about 6 or 7 character names in the game, and when there were 3 servers I had 3 characters at the same time.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Capt Aerobane said:

You guys went from complaining about people being overly aggressive to being super aggressive yourselves in about 3/4ths of a sentence. Its not a huge deal honestly although I guess some people do hide behind their name. I put it in my description because I couldn't be bothered to change forum name.

Sorry, where was I aggressive?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

It doesn't matter "who" any of us are, and your assessment of my "PVP prowess" has absolutely nothing to do with what I post here.  I've had about 6 or 7 character names in the game, and when there were 3 servers I had 3 characters at the same time.  

Did I mention you directly? I fail to see the purpose of your response.

Not sure you read my original post correctly, but I assume you are referring to this section:

"aggressive and confrontational on the forums and/or regularly claim great PvP prowess"

Unless you feel you yourself are guilty of this then I see no reason for you to take offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Did I mention you directly? I fail to see the purpose of your response.

Not sure you read my original post correctly, but I assume you are referring to this section:

"aggressive and confrontational on the forums and/or regularly claim great PvP prowess"

Unless you feel you yourself are guilty of this then I see no reason for you to take offense.

I mean you didn't really name anyone. Just vague statements about people with different names then the one in game. So this post would be open to just about any player.

You should probably be more specific in order to avoid this kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Atreides said:

1 Linkin Park is the shit RIP Chester

2 I don't have a basement

3 My razor broke sorry I haven't shaved in 3 days

4 I'm a grower not a shower.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

I mean you didn't really name anyone. Just vague statements about people with different names then the one in game. So this post would be open to just about any player.

You should probably be more specific in order to avoid this kind of thing.

What I did mention was the people using a different name to hide behind while they insult offers and make grandiose claims on the forums, effectively protecting them from repercussions in game. Therefor, anyone who takes offence to that must know they are in some way guilty of doing it.

Edited by NethrosDefectus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

A lot of people on [INTERNET] use a different name from the name they use in [REAL LIFE]. I've noticed very often that these people tend to be the most aggressive and confrontational on the forums and/or regularly claim great [...] prowess [...]. 

The purpose of this post is twofold, firstly to just ask those people WHY they refuse to use their [REAL] name and secondly to challenge them to do so. [...]

3 hours ago, Atreides said:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

I would appreciate you leaving any editing of my post to me. You know full well I am not talking about using an online alias. My issue is with people using one name in the game and then another on the forums to enable them to shit talk without repercussions  or accountability in said game.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure this matters.  For the few times that you disagree with someone on the forum and they are being a jerk to you, all you have to do is ask them their in-game name.  When they tell you, put them on your ignore list in the game and you're done.  Otherwise, not sure why you are complaining about it.  This is "normal" behavior for much of any forum.

And yes, I use my in-game name here on the forum, but I don't have alts, many others do, so why would they create a forum account for each alt?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Don't forget the implication of aliases with polls. Especially when admin post polls about the next ship to be developed/added.

What's the implication? That someone can make more than 1 account?

8 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

I would appreciate you leaving any editing of my post to me. You know full well I am not talking about using an online alias. My issue is with people using one name in the game and then another on the forums to enable them to shit talk without repercussions  or accountability in said game.

I was being somewhat ironic concerning the logic of it, this has always been going on in every game and, as i point out, IRL vs online, there even exist laws in china and south korea to force people to use their real names online ( targeted at specific sites such as some blogging platforms, for now at least ) and there are regularly some failed propositions at similar laws in the West as well.

The internet's freedom is not guaranteed on the long term, and it's one of the few places where people can be "total asses without social repercussions", but also basically speak their mind for better or worse, be it about Linking Park, their imagined PvP Prowess or the Genius ( or lack thereof ) of Our Supreme Leaders.

Let the people use any aliases they want anywhere, including on forums vs games.

There are lines that should not be crossed, when somebody's lives get destroyed ( a friend of mine had to change his name and house after teh internet has gone full retard on him and the people who were saying shit about him and threatening his life got arrested ) but using the same alias in-game and on a game's forum is not something that should be challenged.

Let people talk shit, let them be more aggressive, more confrontational, let them be themselves for better or worse, i find that much good can come out of being confrontational, and as to being purely aggressive and talk shit... well we can always just ignore them and not take it to heart no?

That many humans use this to talk shit instead of being awesome is part of human nature, and something i happily accept as a small price to pay.

I do know of course that you are only talking about the forum vs game, but the logic is absolutely the same, of challenging people to be identifiable to force them to have a more socially acceptable behavior, to stop them from talking shit, and i am simply in disagreement with such an approach at every level, on the contrary i'd encourage people to be able to say whatever they want without being identified in-game or anywhere else.

My parents hated me, I'm hung like a gerbil, I'm short, I weigh 802.82lbs, my face is covered in boils.  Screw Linkin Park, I only blast the finest tracks by My Chemical Romance while shouting "FTW".

But... at least I don't hide behind an alias. 

Wait... 

This isn't my real name. Move along, nothing to see here.