Game-Labs Forum

Server merge

Server merge   

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need a server merge with the current player base

• For
    • Against

So the rest of the world are supposed to just play for fun in the hours outside the EU window so they get their beauty sleep? nightflips never worried us outside that comfy timezone. we need a PVP nation and a clan server.

Yeah right. Game needs to sort out 

1. The cost of everything, ships cost too much, materials take too long to acquire to replace ships. Buildings are limited to 5 including a shipyard and a workshop needed for guns so you only get three buildings? This should be tied to your crafting level and for every 10 levels you get an additional building.

2. Cost of ship space,  for every outpost you should get an additional two slots. Its not as if the outposts are cheap with eight slots payed for again and again.

3. Labour hours, most need two days worth for cannons alone, so with saving up hours crafting and making a ship that is single dura you can lose the lot in a single battle and spend another 10 days scraping again. Why to we need labour hours to take resources we have already paid for out? Manufacturing works on a cost of selling to a retailer at 45% less than the retail. Why cant we? we have already bought the building. Use crew to speed up production to slow down production and get 100 crew with each building.

4. Outpost saturation. works fine for some but other players needing to make the money needed cant access as the prices are crashed . Max 1000 per resource per player per day to sell. we are all guilty of it

5. Clan Shipyard.

6. Single PVE hunters. keep everyone on their toes.

8. Rewards from missions and bottles. Bottles arent worth anything anymore. A few ingots once in a blue moon, Drop them  less and at least include a skill upgrade or book.

9. Mission Rewards. 14 rum from sinking a Santi LOL. Yet 5 crooked cedar from an LGV??  bigger risk should be better rewards both PVP and PVE.

10. fog of war on the map. Yes please.

11. Bring back TP of ships 5th rate and less. The hours on the sea isnt working hence the grind is made worse.

Thats it.....time for my tablets.

Edited by BallsOfSteel
more to say

Again.

We merge servers we achieve nothing.

People aren't leaving the game because they are playing on a wrong server. Those who wants to play on EU already doing so. Players leaving due to inferior game design that is not complete and is not balanced. Should this be fixed and we will get so huge influx of players that we will have to open 3rd or even more servers. If this will not be fixed then all servers will die. All of them

Merge is only a temporary solution that will briefly sort todays numbers issue (not even sort, just help a bit), but when game will be fixed we will be back to square one demanding another global again. 

Edited by koltes
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

The game is worst now than before but not due of splitting server. Splitting server is what make people still play although Devs forget their soul somewhere and start a farming game

4 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

What's this nonsense about Global being a "bad idea"?  Global just didn't have enough players to operate successfully.  What we were given was a NON-CHOICE: Europe-centric time windows, or not Europe-centric time windows.  That doesn't offer a "choice" for most of the world.

1 hour ago, Bearwall said:

The fact is that EU players were presented with a choice - nigthflips or no nightflips. And they chose. The rest of the world were given a choice - 20/7 RvR or not. And they chose and in the end negated on that choice. Global was a bad idea to begin with and will always be a bad idea.

22 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:

So the rest of the world are supposed to just play for fun in the hours outside the EU window so they get their beauty sleep? nightflips never worried us outside that comfy timezone. we need a PVP nation and a clan server.

So effectively the population has become segregated based on their (preferred) time slot.

Funny how this reminds me of a historical European concept framed within one Dutch word: "apartheid".

https://www.google.com/search?q=apartheid+define

segregation on grounds other than race.

I am curious what the EU solicitor of ECC would think of this. I might be tempted to find out. -_-

3 minutes ago, koltes said:

Again.

We merge servers we achieve nothing.

People aren't leaving the game because they are playing on a wrong server. Those who wants to play on EU already doing so. Players leaving due to inferior game design that is not complete and is not balanced.

True, we must agree on the rules to play this game, for this game can only be

On 8/1/2017 at 9:52 AM, Skully said:

When there is consensus that this is a game worth playing.

Once we agree, then we'll leave each player their own choice to play by those rules.

10 minutes ago, Skully said:

So effectively the population has become segregated based on their (preferred) time slot.

Funny how this reminds me of a historical European concept framed within one Dutch word: "apartheid".

I am curious what the EU solicitor of ECC would think of this. I might be tempted to find out. -_-

Once we agree, then we'll leave each player their own choice to play by those rules.

I think it is quite a stretch to draw a comparison between EU timezone preference (and the desire to both be able to sleep and play the game) and the apartheid system of thought. I have nothing against US or global players per se but I do have something against the notion that because the global idea did not work to begin with we should all suffer for it. TBH your entire point is rendered invalid due to the overextension of your very point.

56 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

the global idea did not work to begin with

Global ended for a very good reason. Just to appraise everyone of the facts.

Skully said:

Have we identified the end-game?

admin said:

imagine being a frigate captain during peace time :)

Skully said:

Currently we fight a war of attrition and this is bad for the game.

-_-

On 8/26/2017 at 7:54 AM, Skully said:

Now lets assume we are further in the game (and skip the everything is neutral and at peace start) and take a real example.

• The Horde sets up at Brangman's Bluff (because we got bored of Truxillo).
  • The French come to Great Corn (Georgetown is too far), score 1 Victory and run into the Horde. Poof.

Then the tactic you describe above was used against you.

On 8/13/2017 at 8:38 AM, Skully said:
On 8/13/2017 at 7:47 AM, Slamz said:

Hardly seems worth worrying about. Do most people normally lose in two moves? Do most people normally find they can't afford a Surprise? Then it's not a very useful problem to bring up.

Have these points not be proven on Global?

• Horde Fleet to Gulf & Dread Fleet to Georgia / Savannah, poof goes US
  • Horde Fleet + Mercantile Fleet to Central Antilles & Dread Fleet to Cornwall / Savanna la Mar, poof goes GB and FR
  • French come to Christiansted, which is a shielded Capital, so the standing orders change to "never undock", except for some "national" who did not get the message.

And then the game is over. We now wait until we can do a proper game.

Skully said:

Unless BLACK changes it M.O. or the rules are changed I fear a map reset will bring the same result.

For now let the Season continue, but lets do a proper competition and go full Battle Royale.

On 8/14/2017 at 0:04 PM, Skully said:

And the current game on its current rules is done. We have reached the end-state, so we are leaving to come back when the development team is done on a new rule set.

I identified the end-game and got us to the end-game as fast and efficiently as possible. Ergo I won.

56 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

TBH your entire point is rendered invalid due to the overextension of your very point.

Or is this also an overextension? You tell me.

Edited by Skully
bloody buggering editor

28 minutes ago, rediii said:

Im glad you guys are on the global server. 

Comparing apartheid to a 20/7 and a limited pb timers concept of a game is just nonsense.

Like koltes wrote the declining playerbase is not a problem if servers are merged or not. Its a problem of different choices devs took like heavy grind with skillslots in a laddersystem and too high shipcosts. At the introduction of 1 dura I thought costs will be the same like with multidura (for each dura cost/5 for 5ths for example) but they made ships more expensive.

Also I thought pvp would pay for itself like it should but it doesnt.

Biggest thing naval action needs is that pvp is worth it and a primary source of goldincome. If I cant pay for ships with gold I make with pvp and instead am forced to get materials because I cang set buy contracts for ships something is wrong.

You see, the grinding could be quite controversial as well as the ships cost.

Re: Grinding would never be a problem if the grinding process was enjoyable. Proper missions, exploration, fighting, trading. People would play the game and grind along the way as something secondary don't minding it at all as it would be a part of whole progression gameplay. We don't have all that. Today the game is grind. In other words we play to grind and there is no fun in that.
Re: Ship costs would also not be a big problem if we would have higher price difference. 7th rate dirt cheap, 6th rate cheap, 5th rate affordable to lose and still expendable, 4th rate where you start investing more money so they have to be about where they are now. SOLs go up a price progressively when 1st rates are just down right cost arm and leg 5-10 times more expensive. Getting a 1st rate should be an achievement on its own. It is not now. We all sail one in in mere weeks. 5th rate needs to be definitely cheaper so more people will be able to replace them easily

Its like devs are making the game, but every time there is a patch they are not making it fully, to the end.

• Like 1

Sigh, why do I always have to repeat myself.

On 8/29/2017 at 6:59 AM, Skully said:
On 8/29/2017 at 1:17 AM, koltes said:

huge lag spites

Slightly off-topic, this is also a reason not to have different rule servers, say hardcore vs care-bear. ^_^

In that sense I'm in favor of rule merge, but not server merge.

12 hours ago, rediii said:

Im glad you guys are on the global server. 

Comparing apartheid to a 20/7 and a limited pb timers concept of a game is just nonsense.

I'm not just on Global and we all agree that Global literally ground to a halt.

You are saying having 24/7 vs 17-22 isn't segregating our NA population?

The whole grind discussion has little to do with merging of server or rules.

Actual server merge can't happen anyway because of real world infrastructural reasons. So that's a discussion we can simply close.

The only thing left worthy of debate is having a single set of rules on both servers.

12 minutes ago, rediii said:

So now you say you know there will be no merge but since global died there should be the same rules on EU?

Almost sounds like its meant to be a joke.

Global died because within the current rule set (regardless of PB timers) a low population grinds literally to a halt.

Which part do you not wish to understand?

11 minutes ago, rediii said:

the part where you want to force the same ruleset like global on the EU RvR server even if EU RvR server doesn't agree with you.

Or the part where you want to force out a part of the NA population by restricting content to other users.

Am I correct in my assertion?

• Like 1

@rediii first of the EU server is all but ground to a halt and lost far more players the global, so please stop with how great Eu servers is cause it's no better then global at current,

so the truth is neither server is doing well under the current rule set but the issue we all have no matter what there will always be a time zone on this planet will always be hindered regarding RVR it's just the way it is,

and I'm sorry limiting RvR in a game that's in testing/alpha is never going to work on release by all means I agree but by that time I hope we have a real player base,

you all seem to forget we are not here to just play the game but test it and help improve it. And segregation is not the way I'm sorry especially as there are other people's perceived perception on the end game we have done nothing but talk about RvR with the #NOMORENIGHTFLIPS, what about the OW pvp'ers and traders in sure they would like a say to @koltes & @Liquicity if the server was one server and in a location that had a ping that was workable (hypothetical, it think it was @Wraith didn't you figure out the best location for a server?) how would you guys like it If there was a merge then? Sorry don't really know any traders 

Also maybe the discussion is now what rule set is worth a try? Especially around rvr 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rebrall said:

OW pvp'ers and traders in sure they would like a say to @koltes & @Liquicity

Wouldnt consider myself as an active ow pvper anymore; simply don't have the time anymore to sail the endless open world for hours. And the upcoming changes of removing speed boost after battle and therefore going back to the awesome phenomena of revenge fleets don't help either :P

Personally I voted NO for a server merge. Sure, it might increase the population by a good bit for a few weeks, a few more battles etc. But in the long run, we will just go back to one of the following scenarios:

• Lord Protector; PB timers are set to times where the enemy is sleeping -> No Port Battles possible, no action, players lose interest.
  • No restrictions: Nightflip. Gonna lose interest in this scenario pretty fast aswell.

Also, the Drama getting created would be unbearable. I personally never was too much into rvr. Double standards everywhere. Kindergarden. My ignore list would epxlode :D  but oh well

Overall I think admin was right in saying the game provides content for about 60-100 for the regular new customer, not into RvR. Players dont play a game forever. But what CAN be done is trying to convert as many average players to veterans, who will stay around for a good bit longer and therefore increasing OW Content. But in order to do so, we need to provide a solid help for starters, in the form of an actually helpful UI and an embedded Tutorial into the game, and not just some youtube tutorials.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Rebrall said:

you all seem to forget we are not here to just play the game but test it and help improve it. And segregation is not the way I'm sorry especially as there are other people's perceived perception on the end game we have done nothing but talk about RvR with the #NOMORENIGHTFLIPS, what about the OW pvp'ers and traders in sure they would like a say to @koltes & @Liquicity if the server was one server and in a location that had a ping that was workable (hypothetical, it think it was @Wraith didn't you figure out the best location for a server?) how would you guys like it If there was a merge then? Sorry don't really know any traders 

Also maybe the discussion is now what rule set is worth a try? Especially around rvr 

I honestly dont think that merge will work. Ideally you want one of two scenarios.

a). population so huge that it allows for Global server to function without any restrictions on time zone as we would have players to cover any time. One very large server

b). a number of servers averaging about 500 population that are located in 5 different time zones.

None of this is possible without the game being fixed first 

5 hours ago, Liquicity said:

Wouldnt consider myself as an active ow pvper anymore; simply don't have the time anymore to sail the endless open world for hours. And the upcoming changes of removing speed boost after battle and therefore going back to the awesome phenomena of revenge fleets don't help either :P

Personally I voted NO for a server merge. Sure, it might increase the population by a good bit for a few weeks, a few more battles etc. But in the long run, we will just go back to one of the following scenarios:

• Lord Protector; PB timers are set to times where the enemy is sleeping -> No Port Battles possible, no action, players lose interest.
  • No restrictions: Nightflip. Gonna lose interest in this scenario pretty fast aswell.

Also, the Drama getting created would be unbearable. I personally never was too much into rvr. Double standards everywhere. Kindergarden. My ignore list would epxlode :D  but oh well

Overall I think admin was right in saying the game provides content for about 60-100 for the regular new customer, not into RvR. Players dont play a game forever. But what CAN be done is trying to convert as many average players to veterans, who will stay around for a good bit longer and therefore increasing OW Content. But in order to do so, we need to provide a solid help for starters, in the form of an actually helpful UI and an embedded Tutorial into the game, and not just some youtube tutorials.

I think that should have RvR been implemented properly you would have enjoyed playing it too as well as the OW just to break down the monotony. At least wold have been so much against it. No matter how much one loves doing something there is a time when we all get tired of the same process. There are lots of aspect of PvP e.g. OW, PBs, trading, solo etc. All could have been balanced and played by all people at least time to time just to diversify their gameplay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Also that discussion is just a turning wheel. same facts over and over again.

I dont lime portbattletimers since you limit the gameplay of everyone.

I dont like no timer since it creates a superpower just because they have players in a special timezone not because they are good or well organized.

So we agree that nobody is entitled to hold the entire map in a death grip just because of a special timezone?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rediii said:

I dont say that EU servernis better than global. It just improved MY gameplay by a lot and probably it improved most of the other rvr players gameplay too.

Also that discussion is just a turning wheel. same facts over and over again.

I dont lime portbattletimers since you limit the gameplay of everyone.

I dont like no timer since it creates a superpower just because they have players in a special timezone not because they are good or well organized.

Whats left is 2 server where more players can actually play due to ping with different rulesets. I dont think anyone suggested to the global server that there should be a US and a oceanic server so why do you suggest it to EU players?

All in all a declining population is not the fault of rvr times since most of the guys leaving early dont get into this stuff.

Now when we have clan wars and clans own their own land I think best compromize will be that clan could set 6 hour window when their land cannot be attacked. This way they protect a timezone when they are most vulnerable, but still keepig 3/4 of the time open for attack.

8 hours ago, koltes said:

Now when we have clan wars and clans own their own land I think best compromize will be that clan could set 6 hour window when their land cannot be attacked. This way they protect a timezone when they are most vulnerable, but still keepig 3/4 of the time open for attack.

Define a clan's own land. All of their ports? Or just their main port (by choice)?

8 hours ago, rediii said:

Yes no problem on global server, works there. Not good for EU server though.

If we find something, it'll need to go on Global first. Should it work then reconsider EU.

No server merge. No rules merge, until we have a working and thoroughly exploited tested solution.

Why would this not work on EU?

Edited by Skully
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skully said:

Define a clan's own land. All of their ports? Or just their main port (by choice)?

Not sure how it is done in this patch, but I believe that Clan should declare only one port as their HQ. Their home port. If / when clan grows to a second clan they can capture another port as HQ. All other ports are just captured, but are not allowed to build shipayrds, workshops etc, only production and teleport.. Thats how I understand clan vs clan mechanic.
When clan already has HQ there is no need to capture really, just raid

32 minutes ago, rediii said:

because it doesn't work on global either.

It's just a mechanic so global becomes a bit more like eu server. We like our mechanics. We don't want to change global so stop your plans to change EU server for whatever reason.

I know it sucks mate, but it doesn't work like that. If the decision will be made to merge then its all player base that we have to work with, not just an EU guys.
When Global was made we (ex PVP2 guys) didn't like a character server has turned into with a new player influx who brought it with them from PVP1. But we had to leave with it and accept.
Not trying to make your game sucks. Please don't read it this way

• Like 3

1 hour ago, koltes said:

Not sure how it is done in this patch, but I believe that Clan should declare only one port as their HQ. Their home port. If / when clan grows to a second clan they can capture another port as HQ. All other ports are just captured, but are not allowed to build shipayrds, workshops etc, only production and teleport.. Thats how I understand clan vs clan mechanic.
When clan already has HQ there is no need to capture really, just raid

There is nothing in this patch yet as such. A Clan HQ is mostly defined by its position of its warehouse, but even that does not have to dictate their HQ (or FOB).

Shipyards and workshops should be buildable just about everywhere.

I would only say, that the HQ (/ FOB) must never be subject to night flips. It must always be fought over in the owning Clan timeslot.

10 hours ago, Skully said:

There is nothing in this patch yet as such. A Clan HQ is mostly defined by its position of its warehouse, but even that does not have to dictate their HQ (or FOB).

Shipyards and workshops should be buildable just about everywhere.

I would only say, that the HQ (/ FOB) must never be subject to night flips. It must always be fought over in the owning Clan timeslot.

The only thing is how do we define a "nightflip" in game?

we would need the ability to have a set time that the port is only available for hostility which means the devs would have to create time slots like on eu but more diverse as there is multiple time zones on global

On 31-8-2017 at 7:53 AM, Skully said:

Nice straw man there. This isn't exclusion on race, nationality or religion. Thank you for voiding your agruement.

Player made a choice. They don't want nightflips.

Edited by Cornelis Tromp

7 hours ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

Player made a choice.

I have not made a choice (yet). But when I do, you may not like the choice I made. (Potentially neither do I.)

Edited by Skully