Game-Labs Forum

Stop the gank! Safe the puppies (until they are fat)!

How about we make the rewards of PvP normalized against the leadership (/ crew size) difference of the kill?

So a Rear Admiral killing a Midshipman gives 0 rewards. The same Rear Admiral killing a Master and Commander however would net (250 / 1100) 23% of the current reward. And against a Commodore 73%.

This should eliminate greed as a component in the decision of ganking.

At the other end it would need to be capped at 100% to prevent reverse damage farming.

It is simple and hopefully effective. Does anybody see potential abuse in this?

• Like 1

I'll just make me a new char that is low level and kill all these PvE carebears Rear Admirals that suck in just about anything.  Just think of the glory of a low level in a Privateer murdering them.  Even @Hodo would prob get into this action.   

It needs to stay the BR of the ship difference to be honest for that reason.   Skill should never be judged one chars actual rank.  I seen new players that can play 100 times better than so call vets.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'll just make me a new char that is low level and kill all these PvE carebears Rear Admirals that suck in just about anything.  Just think of the glory of a low level in a Privateer murdering them

Funny...

That's why many nationals did turn pirate back in the day.

They kept this little black book with names, you see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'll just make me a new char that is low level and kill all these PvE carebears Rear Admirals that suck in just about anything.  Just think of the glory of a low level in a Privateer murdering them.  Even @Hodo would prob get into this action.   

I see no problem in that. Your new char will just be building up fat and teaching the puppies carebears.

What exactly would be the difference between you using a high level or a low level char to do that?

Edited by Skully
mistook carebears with puppies

5 minutes ago, z4ys said:

What about alts?

How can they abuse this?

At worst you spot a low-level alt, so you kill it for zero reward. The low-level alt himself attacking anything allowed will simply get 100% reward as it is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

No. Some players are better PvP'rs as Master & Commander - Flag Captain than the majority of Rear Admirals that grinded missions. Rank is not the equivalent of the skill.

This will balance out over time as M&C can't stay M&C when they are doing good fights.

Rear Admirals (or other high levels) bringing themselves up through grinding will just feel the pain afterwards. I don't see a real problem in that. They will either continue grinding or start getting good at PvP.

23 minutes ago, Vllad said:

Yes. I can just keep restarting a new character and still stern camp people in my pickles. The size of the crew doesn't always equal newb.

You can always stern camp people in a pickle. What is your point?
Don't mistake actual crew on a ship for leadership, it's just listed as such on the wiki. http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/Player_Ranks

33 minutes ago, Skully said:

You can always stern camp people in a pickle. What is your point?
Don't mistake actual crew on a ship for leadership, it's just listed as such on the wiki. http://navalaction.wikia.com/wiki/Player_Ranks

My point is small ships can kill people just as effectively as big ships. To be worth nothing in PVP is only asking for more alt abuses. Your original solution solves nothing by giving one segment of the population everything to gain and nothing to lose and another segment everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Basically if you want newbs protected this is not the way to go about it.

Edited by Vllad

1 minute ago, Vllad said:

My point is small ships can kill people just as effectively as big ships. To be worth nothing in PVP is only asking for more alt abuses. Your original solution solves nothing by giving one segment of the population everything to gain and nothing to lose and another segment everything to lose and nothing to gain.

The two characters engaging are enemies. Whether or not they are alts makes no difference.

Any enemy can engage a big ship in a small ship.

Yes, you can keep on buying alts to deny enemy rewards, but since you are getting kills your alt is effectively becoming more juicy. The more you do it, the more you are actually walking up the path of no longer being able to deny rewards.

3 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

No. Some players are better PvP'rs as Master & Commander - Flag Captain than the majority of Rear Admirals that grinded missions. Rank is not the equivalent of the skill.

I dont know how many rank 8+ players I run into that I have seen get stuck in the wind, dont know how to manual sail and think the carronade is the end all be all of guns.  When I was hunting on the US coast a month ago I had one guy actually think that his trader brigs masts couldnt be taken down by a Lynx.   20min later he was a canoe.   

People wont put in the effort to learn their ships or learn how to sail them, how can I expect them to be good.   Hell I can remember when so many thought Black was hacking when they were just angling their hulls to deflect shots.   (Yes I was one of them till I tried it myself)