Game-Labs Forum

well.. technically its still armor. you have the plank's thickness. Also bigger ships (frigates and more applying lineships) have multiple layers of plankins wich can go up to half a meter of oak per side..

Its not very far off the wording armor.

other tha that integrity would be universal.

btw:

I changed the topic name to armOr.. wich we are talking about.

There was a typo in the name.

Armor is common, word easily understable to every new player, i think "double planking" can be confiusing for start. "Hull" isnt armor its more like structure of ship. Really dont know which word is good here ;p

• Like 1

"Hull" isnt armor its more like structure of ship. Really dont know which word is good here ;p

Hull is the part that covers the frame.  It is the part that keeps the water out and (hopefully) cannonballs too.  Naturally it varied in thickness according to the size of the ship and its design.  I am not aware of any ships in this period that were referred to as having armour.  Even the USS Consitution nicknamed "Old Ironsides" because of its toughness versus cannonballs does not appear to have been referred to as having armour.  I believe comments were made as to its scantlings (i.e. the thickness and strength of its timbers) but not armour.

Agree. People think of metal when they think of armour.

Hull toughness\thickness is more accurate.

Armour is just the wrong context and you will find people are not so stupid as to not recognise that the hull being damaged is a bad thing!

Using the correct nautical terminology increases immersion. Do not think people are so silly. They will find it refreshing to be in this new world learning new terms and getting into the spirit of things.

• 6 months later...

I apologize for floating an old topic -- I figure it's better that starting new one.

I agree with the original post (OP). Hull makes more sense given the time period and armor just bugs me when I see it. 

Perhaps this post should be retitled: "Armor" vs "Hull" 

I think it would me minor to fix this, if the community agrees it should be fixed. 

Perhaps this should be polled. Should I create a new topic?

Edited by jimbursch