Game-Labs Forum

Aiming Difficulty

• 5 weeks later...

After playing a few games, I find the aiming mechanic is a bit too fluid for what we are shooting.  First, I find myself constantly moving my mouse small increments in order to get the "just right" distance and lead. However, I often twitch or accidentally move the mouse just a little too far, or need to quickly take a look around so as to make sure I'm not blocking a friendly's shot, thus ruining the aim I had before. 

The first issue I believe could be changed by moving the aiming controls (when zoomed in on one broadside) to the arrow keys instead of the mouse. My aim will stay where it is regardless of where I look with my mouse, and will only change when I use the arrow keys. Thus, steering stays the same with the WSDA keys, and I can have an easier time aiming with the arrow keys. Another option would be, when in aiming mode (clicking the left mouse button) you use the mouse wheel to aim up and down. the only way to get out of aiming mode would be to press the same button you used to get into it (again, the left mouse button)

In addition, aiming should be made a bit more rigid: so instead of just being able to aim anywhere in your range, you aim your guns one "click" or one "notch" up, down, left, or right

The second is simple and has been discussed: A simple aiming reticle that details distance needed as well markers to show how much to lead a shot. A simple "Sniper's" Crosshair would be sufficient, although modifications could be made to fit in with the time period.

Cheers,

Captain Drummond.

After playing a few games, I find the aiming mechanic is a bit too fluid for what we are shooting.  First, I find myself constantly moving my mouse small increments in order to get the "just right" distance and lead. However, I often twitch or accidentally move the mouse just a little too far, or need to quickly take a look around so as to make sure I'm not blocking a friendly's shot, thus ruining the aim I had before. 

The first issue I believe could be changed by moving the aiming controls (when zoomed in on one broadside) to the arrow keys instead of the mouse. My aim will stay where it is regardless of where I look with my mouse, and will only change when I use the arrow keys. Thus, steering stays the same with the WSDA keys, and I can have an easier time aiming with the arrow keys. Another option would be, when in aiming mode (clicking the right mouse button) you use the mouse wheel to aim up and down. the only way to get out of aiming mode would be to press the same button you used to get into it (again, the right mouse button)

In addition, aiming should be made a bit more rigid: so instead of just being able to aim anywhere in your range, you aim your guns one "click" or one "notch" up, down, left, or right

The second is simple and has been discussed: A simple aiming reticle that details distance needed as well markers to show how much to lead a shot. A simple "Sniper's" Crosshair would be sufficient, although modifications could be made to fit in with the time period.

Cheers,

Captain Drummond.

Play more games and get used to it. Playing a few games and disliking the system isn't a fair test. Is it hard to master? Yes. It should be.

Please do yourself a solid, shoot 100 broadsides and then judge. I think as you get used to it and learn the instinctive aim points (such as the nice line of cannon snouts for close work) you will "internalize" the controls and they will become second nature to you.

It worked for me, ahh --- well I still kill the water now and then. ;)

Yeah, keep the aiming just the way it is, it is too easy already. Too the OP, when you are aiming there is no need to "look" for your friend, you should already know your surroundings and just focus on hitting your target.

Please understand where I'm coming from: small, fast moving ships. 

I understand that as I move up to face larger and slower ships, aiming will be easier since I have an easier target to hit, not that I have "mastered" aiming. Understand that firing from a the Santisima, moving at 10 kt max, at a large ship, moving at around the same speed, is not the same as firing from a schooner, cutter or brig, moving on average 13 kt (not max), at an equally small and fast target, meaning that the time it will take to measure a shot and adjust for speed and range, is multiplied compared to fighting in large ships. Also, the smaller ships can make maneuvers faster and easier then large ships, meaning they can throw off an opponents aim easier than a large ship

In short, aiming with Large vs. Large ships is easier as opposed to small vs. small ships due to speed and the size of target.

The issue? 1: New players who would otherwise find firing from large ships rather easy, may be deterred from the challenge of small ship combat. 2. Some players may prefer the speed and maneuverability of smaller ships to their larger counterparts (especially those who intend to live a life of piracy) who will be dealing with the range and speed differences. If you wish, a simple "Reticle Customization" could be used. If you like the current retcile, keep it. If you don't, pick another one that suits your skill.

To close; first, just to be clear, I did not say I "disliked" the system, but just questioned its functionality and user friendliness. Second, if the more adept players can already manage to aim with the system now, but there are players who have trouble with the system, simply saying "Well we can do it so you just need to get better" is not an approach to be commended and should not be a viable reason to not implement a simple and possibly easier aiming system. And lastly, thank your for your feedback, I appreciate when people take the time to read and respond to my posts.

i respectfully disagree with this idea. Your proposal sounds like easy mode to me and this is meant to be a skill based game. I understand your concern for the newer players but maybe its good that they have to struggle a little initially. it will make them better in the long run when they fight larger ships

i respectfully disagree with this idea. Your proposal sounds like easy mode to me and this is meant to be a skill based game. I understand your concern for the newer players but maybe its good that they have to struggle a little initially. it will make them better in the long run when they fight larger ships

I just wanted him to see that Ram pulls "out" of aim mode quite often to check around - mostly while his guns are reloading.

I know it is "easier" to shoot from a big boat at a big boat - but they are WAAAAyyy far away the ones Ram is shooting at. The guns on a cutter or brig wouldn't reach 1/2 the distance from which Ram drops in on those "targets".

I got to be a pretty good shot in a Surprise from a distance - in smaller boats I have to get in closer to hit - the nature of the beast. ;)

I don't think a crosshair would be a good idea. It would ruin the immersion for me and not really fit the "technology" of an age of sail game. I do like the idea that you have to "eyeball" it. However, I do agree with some things that the OP is saying. My idea would be to provide some kind of gun elevation information which I'm sure gunners of that time had availeable to them. For example: X degrees up or down.

That way you would know which elevation you had your guns set to before you took a look around and as such don't have to start ranging your shots back in from scratch.

I don't think a crosshair would be a good idea. It would ruin the immersion for me and not really fit the "technology" of an age of sail game. I do like the idea that you have to "eyeball" it. However, I do agree with some things that the OP is saying. My idea would be to provide some kind of gun elevation information which I'm sure gunners of that time had availeable to them. For example: X degrees up or down.

That way you would know which elevation you had your guns set to before you took a look around and as such don't have to start ranging your shots back in from scratch.

except that if you were to be historically accurate than the elevation in degrees, would be set for the cannon based off of its alignment with the deck and not the horizon so that a gun set at 10 degrees would still shift in relation to the horizon as the ship rolls left and right.

Also, the elevation stays set in the current build even if you zoom out and back in again unless you are at max elevation or minimum elevation and the ship rolls. At least is does when going from the spy scope to deck view and when using the alt key.

Yeah, while I understand where the OP is coming from, I wholeheartedly disagree with this idea. Like others have said, you need to just get used to the aiming system, it's really not that hard once you start getting used to it, no matter the size of your vessel. It takes a little instinct to aim your shots, and know when and where to fire by judging the roll of your ship, your speed, the enemy's speed, the direction they're traveling in relation to you etc. Instinct that you will develop more and more over time and you'll get used to between ships. This is one of the things that makes a good player, a good player. Their ability to effectively use their guns. I ESPECIALLY disagree with a marker telling someone how far to lead them. As was mentioned, that sounds like easy mode and it would completely ruin the immersion of the game, regardless of if it was a toggle-able option or not, just it being there for someone to be using while us other guys aren't is unbalanced and would ruin the game. The current system is perfectly fine in my opinion. Maybe it could use a few tweaks here and there, but not much. Like was mentioned, you're just going to have to get a feel for it. We've all had to do it.

• Like 1

Please understand where I'm coming from: small, fast moving ships. 

I understand that as I move up to face larger and slower ships, aiming will be easier since I have an easier target to hit, not that I have "mastered" aiming. Understand that firing from a the Santisima, moving at 10 kt max, at a large ship, moving at around the same speed, is not the same as firing from a schooner, cutter or brig, moving on average 13 kt (not max), at an equally small and fast target, meaning that the time it will take to measure a shot and adjust for speed and range, is multiplied compared to fighting in large ships. Also, the smaller ships can make maneuvers faster and easier then large ships, meaning they can throw off an opponents aim easier than a large ship

In short, aiming with Large vs. Large ships is easier as opposed to small vs. small ships due to speed and the size of target.

The issue? 1: New players who would otherwise find firing from large ships rather easy, may be deterred from the challenge of small ship combat. 2. Some players may prefer the speed and maneuverability of smaller ships to their larger counterparts (especially those who intend to live a life of piracy) who will be dealing with the range and speed differences. If you wish, a simple "Reticle Customization" could be used. If you like the current retcile, keep it. If you don't, pick another one that suits your skill.

To close; first, just to be clear, I did not say I "disliked" the system, but just questioned its functionality and user friendliness. Second, if the more adept players can already manage to aim with the system now, but there are players who have trouble with the system, simply saying "Well we can do it so you just need to get better" is not an approach to be commended and should not be a viable reason to not implement a simple and possibly easier aiming system. And lastly, thank your for your feedback, I appreciate when people take the time to read and respond to my posts.

Please understand that "EVERYONE" comes from small ships(atleast the latest players, dunno what it was like from the beginning)..... Im a noob, started playing 2 days ago, took me 1 hour(1 battle) to figure out the aiming system with small ships, and it works just the same way with all ships...

Would you like "wood" seeking missiles to? and maybe a few torpedos and some cruise missiles....

• Like 1