Game-Labs Forum

Ships Boats

The devs asked this question in the very beginnings of Naval Action. Thats now 2-3 years ago O_o

The community decided against boats on ships.

Why?

In a normal battle (normal in terms if the crew had enough time preparing the ship for action) the ship's boats would have been towed astern.

And never would any sane captain keep the boats aboard. They are a deadly source of wooden splinters and if they are gone - - what if your vessel goes down after the fighting? These boats are the only link to the world a ship has.

• Like 3

The devs asked this question in the very beginnings of Naval Action. Thats now 2-3 years ago O_o

The community decided against boats on ships.

Why?

In a normal battle (normal in terms if the crew had enough time preparing the ship for action) the ship's boats would have been towed astern.

And never would any sane captain keep the boats aboard. They are a deadly source of wooden splinters and if they are gone - - what if your vessel goes down after the fighting? These boats are the only link to the world a ship has.

That is a valid and sensible answer. Thank you.

But like closed gun ports, they should be modeled on OW ship models...

Plus, the excuse about saying you need to keep them intact in case your vessel goes down is now invalid, because even when you sink very slowly, the game don't allow you to save your crew or your captain + splinters and injuries are not in the game.

Maybe the community decided so at early stage of development because they where praying for ultra realistic battles, combats and DM. Now that we know how combat mecanics are, and will be, with statics invisible cubic crew hitboxes and no splinters dmg, no lifeboats, weird surrender and sinking mechanics, weird crew dmg/medikits, no moral. Eye candy and quality models could be at least considered, cause i must say it one of the big plus of this game.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

Maybe the community decided so at early stage of development because they where praying for ultra realistic battles, combats and DM. Now that we know how combat mecanics are, and will be, with statics invisible cubic crew hitboxes and no splinters dmg, no lifeboats, weird surrender and sinking mechanics, weird crew dmg

• Crew was usually assigned to stations and leaving the station without permission was punishable by death. Also show me a vehicle fighting game with dynamic hotboxes that move inside the vehicle..
  • No splinter damage? It is there. Constitution lost only 9 men dead during the long battle with HMS Java (including 4 who died after the battle from wounds). You can kill 9 men when fighting constitution in our game and they WILL die from splinters.
  • No lifeboats? Everything obstructing the deck was thrown out. Boats too (sometimes they were tied by ropes behind the stern), but in many cases they were just thrown out. 
  • Weird surrender? What? You surrender when you surrender. There is nothing weird when you make this choice as a captain. 

Please factcheck before you post here. Otherwise your posts will be very much ignored by the community.

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem with these suggestions is engine limitations.

Not to mention user and server requirements for the added models in game.

Including ship's boats on the models would require a huge amount of research in order to get them right, not to mention the man-hours in modelling the hulls themselves. And for something that would pretty much be restricted to OW eye-candy.

hahah

My question to the community in 2013 :) July!!!

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/108-boats-during-battle

Love open development :)

• Like 3

hahah

My question to the community in 2013  :) July!!!

http://forum.game-la...s-during-battle

Love open development  :)

The answer should have been: The boats are stored in the waist when not in use, with the interior frames and thwarts removed, stored inside one another like matryoshki. Boat davits are just for ease of launching, and not used in bad weather or battle.

It was desirable to tow them or pass them off to consorts in battle, but when not possible they would stored in the waist. They wouldn't tow boats if speed was important.

(...)

Sort of offtopic and I guess an already discussed to death topic: Closed gun ports.

Especially on traders I really dislike the open gunports and for reasons I cannot explain it annoys me AF everytime I look at the screen on a trading run. Luckily trading runs are usually short and you barely got the time to take a look at your vessel while sailing for 2h in a more or less straight line with nothing else in sight. Oh wait...

And somehow I'd really love to have the option just for immersion to manually open and close.

But I guess this is out of scope for too many valid reasons. :( *sadpanda*

Edited by Ragor

Don't get me wrong, ofc this is far from being a priority, but hey: they added a realistic fishing map and birds to ow, they added gunboats, so don't tell me about developpment priorities.

Yes i was not even asking for adding boats to battle instance (with dm for boats, towed boats during combat, crew swimming to them to get rescued, marines using them to board ^^ etc.), i was just asking to make every ship have 2 models: one for ow and one for battle, i know they were towed during battles. So just an eye candy realistic  immersive feature (like birds).

And i'm happy to see that years ago, you were thinking about adding them in game. Not adding them just to save few polys for patatoes comp users is understandable, it's what nearly every game do, and that sux because we are supposed to enter the age of vr ^^ and you worked on boat, gun recoil, etc.. and even players with top comp will have to play without all of this. 

I may be the only one but to me interractions between sotl and boats is an important part of the age of sails, ships of the line are not like cars you simply take out from your garage to go from A to B, More like orbital spaceships with shuttles, droppods etc. ^^

( About hitbox, what i wanted to say, is that one grape salvo on the deck of a ship in boarding prep can kill tons of crews: of invisibles crews you can forget they are supposed to be on deck standing still under fire, just because game will not show them. Same when game teach you to aim at empty space to kill crews. About sinking, you can sail full sails with lower deck ports open and under water without taking water but you will sink if someone shoot your 3rd deck for one hour, thats the point of realism we have now.   But that offtopic i know.)

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec