Game-Labs Forum

Eliminate Steam!

Steam is a third party I could do without. I always prefer my games outside Steam if possible. Mostly because I like to be in control of my own stuff, and giving control to Steam (that, for example, forces me to update games when that will break mod setups etc.) is disconcerting. Also, it's a kind of monopoly - monopolies are bad by definition if you ask me. Lastly, it doesn't leave room for old direct IP connections when playing multiplayer with friends, which can be very annoying when playing some games (especially older titles I suppose).

• Like 1

Steam is a third party I could do without. I always prefer my games outside Steam if possible. Mostly because I like to be in control of my own stuff, and giving control to Steam (that, for example, forces me to update games when that will break mod setups etc.) is disconcerting. Also, it's a kind of monopoly - monopolies are bad by definition if you ask me. Lastly, it doesn't leave room for old direct IP connections when playing multiplayer with friends, which can be very annoying when playing some games (especially older titles I suppose).

So if your games are managed through a third party platform that means you are not in control? I guess you should go back to board games since your non steam games are on a third party system called an OS and you don't have control of those games either. There are no monopolies in a global sense, and since the internet is global, it applies to that too. If you want to play with fiends then simply invite them to your game via steam. Most newer games have this feature on steam. I used to have trouble playing games with friends till steam became a thing, and now it is seamless with steam.

• Like 2

Steam is an excellent way to advertise and bring new players to the game to get the server pop up. 

Yeah, I would agree with that too.  They do a good job of publicizing games in the queue and other ways.  I tend to like Steam, myself.  I like the new family features, wherein I can let my son use games on his computer that I have purchased, or I can control them so he can't if I don't want him to.  I also like that I can default my library to somewhere other than the C: drive so I can keep my main hard drive from getting cluttered.  There are a few advantages to their system, and I think they have made quite a few improvements over the years of using it.  Personally, I don't really have any housekeeping issues with it either (knock on wood :) ).

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

Just regarding the direct IP game: it still works. Most games even depending on this have their own built in dedicated-server-batch file setup or even featuring a direct hosting executable. Never had issues with that. 

Well, it's only some games that have that issue. My above concern (also with the forced auto-updates) was, for instance, with Crusader Kings II, that switched to Steam servers and at the same time disabled all other ways of playing multiplayer.

you know there are also the devs of crusader kings 2 involved then their game gone steam?

Steam is a great gamingplatform and i know my games are save, because i live in germany, steam canot just do what it want, it canot just delete your acount, you can give back any game in 14 days(germany and certain other countries) because steam needs also to follow certain laws. 

Steam is not hand of God

• Like 1

I don't like Steam. But I love the idea of an online software purchase and repository. The support from steam is very poor. The support I have received from other sites has been excellent.

The biggest reason I'm frustrated with Steam is I can't figure out a way to play game in an offline mode. Other sites allow me to play what I own without an Internet connection.

And I was locked out of my account a couple times. Steam was not friendly or cooperative in helping me get my access back. I think they are just too big to pay attention to an individual. All of their help suggestions are just FAQ responses that don't seem to explain clearly how to solve an issue.

But I'm not much of an online gamer and appreciate when I can control the content that I purchace in a digital download. When I have an issue or concern it is nice to know that a person from the company where I made the purchace is helping me. I've had good service from other companies.

Congratulations to everyone who has never had an issue with poor service from Steam. I'm jealous. I wish I had been amongst the ranks.