Game-Labs Forum

I hope something is done soon.  I just finished a PVE in a storm.  Everyone (including the bots) running around at full sails.  If you didn't use full sails you got outmaneuvered, yet there were no consequences (masts lost, sails blown out, other ship damage) to running all over at the full sail setting.  Even though we are still working on the damage and combat aspects, this needs to be addressed soon before newbies pick up bad sailing habits based on game mechanics, not actual sailing theory and practice, then are disenchanted when the "real game" comes into effect.  Lower sail settings, or even using Battle Sails should have some purpose.  Sailing in a storm should be the battle in and of itself IMHO.

Just a thought.  Still love'n this game!

Dean (poosd)

Yeah, I hope that in the open world, fighting in storms sucks even more. Storms should shape the strategic battlefield, enabling one fleet to sail on while another has to stay put. They should break up blockades, scatter fleets. Basically the hand of god that makes shifts advantage to the underdog.

Storms should be important in chases, where the quarry suddenly has a chance to escape, and the hunter needs to consider whether the risk of foundering is worth this prize.

Basically, players should avoid fighting in storms, except in extreme situations. And that will make it even more exciting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another aspect that I'd love to see integrated is the idea of a wind shadow.  IRL when sailing, for about 2-3 mast height lengths downwind, the air is extremely turbulent and a leeward boat should not be able to make the same speed under the same canvas.  Of course, if you are the windward boat and want to keep station, you can always adjust your trim manually or douse some sails, which would slow you down and give the leeward boat a bit more air (say for his upper sails).  It would just add that much more sailing to the tactics tactics of the game.

500px-ACC_sail_4_wind_shadow.png

• Like 1

Another aspect that I'd love to see integrated is the idea of a wind shadow.  IRL when sailing, for about 2-3 mast height lengths downwind, the air is extremely turbulent and a leeward boat should not be able to make the same speed under the same canvas.  Of course, if you are the windward boat and want to keep station, you can always adjust your trim manually or douse some sails, which would slow you down and give the leeward boat a bit more air (say for his upper sails).  It would just add that much more sailing to the tactics tactics of the game.

500px-ACC_sail_4_wind_shadow.png

We have discussed this before. Something that wont be implemented in the game atm but maybe in the future.
  • Like 1

This is beeing thought about some weeks ago now.

In my opinion its not a real feature. I am always tapping the yard controls when I turn. So the game will interprete my tapping as douletaps and swing them all over even tho I didnt want it.

If theres not going to be an option to disable it that should not make it into the game.

I thought the devs said stealing the wind will not be a feature ever.  Did they change their mind?

What do you mean by stealing the wind? My definition is when a downwind ship maneuvers against his opponent in a way that allows him to take the wind gage therefore "stealing" the wind from his opponent. Is that what you are talking about? If so, then there is nothing the devs can do about it unless they take wind away altogether.

The only other thing I remember the dev saying is that how you tag someone on the open sea will be reflected in how you spawn into the instance. In this case there will never be a a time where the aggressor tags with advantage but spawns into the instance with a disadvantage.

Stealing the wind is when you are close to the enemy and you take the wind from his sails because it is being blocked by your sails.

Earlier in the thread they call it "Wind Shadow"

Edited by Prater