Game-Labs Forum

Craftable paint

I do have an idea which add to desastrex weathering thought:

We apply paint. From a basic selected paint palette. For ingame cash.

The paint will only last for so and so many days at sea. two weeks? more? less?

After that time it becomes weathered and dull. ugly - mature?

You will have to repaint the ship for another few bucks.

first standart colour is free.

Premium paint:

does not weather and you have a special look on either a given ship type. or all of the ships which can apply such.

• Like 5

Having rare paints is not stupid at all and rare paints exist in most successful paid games like Counter strike. 

We have not yet decided on what is the role of skins in helping us to support the continued development of the game financially. We mentioned that some premium content could be added into the game on release.

Of course You as an early access tester/helper/buyer have the privilege to experience almost everything through forms of loot, redeemables and crafting. But we want paint schemes to remain sort of rare. If they are not rare they stop being valuable. But the more we play after their introduction the more chances is to get them in pvp by capturing from other players.

Maybe make them craftable for testing and feedback purposes, no point selling paint people hate. I do like the idea of premium paints maybe be account bound not just 1 time use, that give perks. But i think as testers we should say yes X paint is good. Or no X paint looks bad.

On the one hand I'm always for visual customisation but I understand why the developers wish to keep it exclusive/locked behind a paywall. I suppose I'm with those who would suggest having a number of crafted paint jobs that were common for navies at that time (such as black/wood, black/white, black/red, black/ochre) and then some really fancy ones you can pay for.

Why not give everyone 3 Basic Paint Coats. Paint coats should give small % sell amount when selling in ports. More people want to trade with you because your ship looks cleaner.  

1. 50 000 (+2% better sell prices in ports)

2. 200 000 (+3% better sell prices in ports)

3. 500 000 (+5% better sell prices in ports).

All permanent for each ship. 

Other Premium Pain Coats can be sold for real money or earned during events. Same system is used in World of Warships. 

• Like 1

I'm not entirely certain if it's been addressed, but to the devs, are you opposed to having specific paints be rare drops/prizes only? That's actually usually a pretty common trend in games. Let people craft or buy a few different (historically justifiable) colors, then offer up other, exclusive ones are prizes. 

I'd like a little more customization in the game in general. I want to be able to select crew models from a few options, fly my own Jolly Roger, and of course, paint my ship how I like.... but I won't be upset if there's exclusive skins. Almost every game has them.

I think it could be more like this:

Basic paints (maybe nation specific?) can be crafted. 

More exciting and rare paints can be obtained in other ways.

Kpt. Nielsen certainly has a point in this matter.

Edited by fox2run