Game-Labs Forum

4th Rates, Frigates or Line ships?

OK, that is a ambiguous question to say the least.....What rank are you?  What do you ultimately want your officer to do?  What do you want to do?  I started with staunch defender (I believe) that helps from getting boarded.  

-Ski

4th rates are currently the most used ships in pb's because there are more deep water ports than anything else.  With the current patch, the numbers have changed a little but deep water ports are still the majority.  This means it would be most useful to have an officer with the most fitting Frigate Master/Lineship Master/Light ship Master perk.  I'm trying to figure that out.  It seems odd to me that an Ingy and a Connie would have a different designation and therefore need a different officer perk.

I read the three categories and interpreted them to equate to the Port Battle rules.

So Line is 3rd rates and up (eligible for deep water - regional categories)

Frigate is 'above' mercury through to 4th rates (eligible for deep water).

The rest is small (eligible for shallow PB's).

This was my interpretation.

I really believe you should have the ability to hire multiple first lt, so I can set one up for my SOL, one for my Frigs etc. Like Mortar Brig is really conditional.

Anyway, it is their first toe in the water on officers/perks, so lets see how it unfolds, this is how I read it. Like the OP a definitive answer would be good.

Read the thread topic title. The question is very clear. The answers are still pretty much conjecture. I'd like to see what a dev has to say but they are avoiding the question whenever it has been asked.

Errr not, It is not clear at all, its totakky ambiguous. Try to reformulare it.

And... dont expect a dev answer, they are focussed on developing more than support.

Cheers

Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand why deep water ports don't simply have a BR limit. Opposing sides should be able to choose how they fill that BR limit. More smaller ships or Less bigger ships. Regional capitals should be unlimited BR and shallow ports remain how they are. Third rates at the moment are not really in demand witch is a shame because I loved sailing them.