Game-Labs Forum

Patch 1.7 Incoming (Ultimate General: Gettysburg)

Hello Generals,

After quite a lot of months, our development team is going to update the game with various improvements, based on the feedback you have provided so far. Please read below the brief changelog of the planned improvements:

Brief changelog of patch 1.7:

- Improved targeting. Units will pick best target without micromanagement, especially artillery.

- Various melee fixes/improvements. Infantry will no longer auto-fall back and annoyingly lose its position.

- Improved auto AI lines. No longer too much shifting around. Units will be sufficiently intelligent to handle their lines.

- Much improved AI attack. AI will press and concentrate on weak spots of player army with efficiency and persistence.

- Enhanced AI defense. AI will be more active in covering weaknesses in formation and defend the high ground.

- AI now understands much better the territory it fights. AI opponents are active and respond to whatever threat you pose them, in a realistic and challenging manner. The way that each opponent fights is really interesting to explore, in order to unlock multiple different speculative scenarios that probably you had never met.

- AI now will very often attempt to flank. It will make tactical maneuvers to place artillery on high ground and shoot at your flanks.

- AI will fall back if overwhelmed in a much more efficient manner (according to personality). It will prefer to leave ground in order to reform and counter-attack, in order to cause you more casualties.

- AI now plays out the MP scenarios better. You can play vs an AI to really test and improve yourself in multiplayer.

- Fixed AI boost mode that could work the opposite in many aspects. Now it is far more challenging.

- Artillery less resilient in melee.

- Cavalry more useful, not so vulnerable as before.

- Balances in Ranged combat (toned down artillery effectiveness from High/Medium range and overall more realistic casualty rate).

- Morale fixes (not so fast retreat, overall more manageable condition for tougher/epic battles).

- Increased significantly the damage bonus in flanks/rear for even more tactical battles.

- Units that stand and shoot have increased condition endurance, so their defensive capabilities are more resilient.

- Finalized brigade/terrain visual improvement. Movements, formation appearance, 3D perception of terrain are greatly improved. You feel the battle more realistic now.

- Balanced combat damage/pace to realistic level. You now understand the importance of terrain. You lose badly until you gain the high ground and then it becomes your turn to punish your enemy.

- Various text fixes.

The patch is currently undergoing beta testing and as soon as possible is going to become available.

Thanks for reading!

The Game-Labs team

• Like 4

Sounds good! Among others, I especially like these two elements:

- Balances in Ranged combat (toned down artillery effectiveness from High/Medium range and overall more realistic casualty rate).
- Increased significantly the damage bonus in flanks/rear for even more tactical battles.

Keep up the good work!

### EDIT :

I really think the 66% casualties threshold to abandon the battlefield was a much better one; maybe it could be restored?

80% might be better gameplay-wise but makes very little sense from a realistical and historical point of view (also, if it's just gameplay related, it could well be increased to 100%... i.e. total annihilation. No?).

Edited by IheardITthruTHEgrapeshot

Nick,

Diversity in the units makes the game more interesting.  

If you make the cavalry more powerful then they become more like the infantry and can stand in the line with the infantry.

Not only did this not happen historically during the ACW - it homogenizes your units and makes the game less interesting.  

(I'll just toss this cavalry in the line as they fight just the same anyway.)

Rather than make the cavalry more powerful I'd suggest that using the cavalry in their historical role on the flanks and rear of the armies will vastly improve the tactical aspects of your game.  

I'd suggest going the other direction and add more variety (variety is, after all, the spice of life) by making Lee's irregular cavalry brigades less powerful - forcing them into the role they played during the battle - protecting the flanks/getting in position to attack the rear of the enemy.

Imboden's and Jenkins cavalry brigades were both irregular cavalry brigades.  

Lee hated irregular cavalry as they were unreliable/inaccurate in reconnaissance, inept in battle, and useless in screening.  

Just about the only role they excelled in was destruction of telegraph lines, raiding soft targets, gobbling up pickets, and collecting supplies.

See this U.S. Army presentation regarding these irregular cavalry brigades as a reference:

• Like 1

Bought the game yesterday, loving what i have played so far!

The updates to flanking will add a whole range of tactical options! Awesome!

Just one suggestion: Could the UI buttons be replaced with age-fitting ones? 

I noticed the halt, run etc buttons are basic unity gradient buttons, and they don't fit the game's look and feel. 

Just a suggestion :)

** I would be happy to make the buttons for you if it's not really something you guys have time for?

So far I'm enjoying UGG as it is the only modern alternative to SMG. I'm a bit disappointed about the multiplayer features. 20 years ago SMG got it right, 2v2 - 4v4 matches, a game lobby, etc. A large enduring player base was lost here due to 1v1 with zero community involvement. Sad really.

Not to mention, 20 years a game allowed you to change mvmnt formations, manipulate individual regiments, utilize multiple morale boosting features, and manual targeting. Yet none of that exist here, for some reason, and that really hinders any meaningful strategy in this game.

As it stands, its just click and drag while arty just massively attrits the enemy. One battery caused 2.5k casualties in my last MP game. Anyway, so much potential here. Not a bad start. But SMG and the community was active for over a decade due to features that allowed a community to thrive. Would rly like to see that here. Cheers.

• Like 2

Is there any chance to spend some dev hours on updating the player vs player battles and ranking like we previously discussed or is it just too much time for a patch?

This cannot be done unfortunately.

Nick,

Diversity in the units makes the game more interesting.  

If you make the cavalry more powerful then they become more like the infantry and can stand in the line with the infantry.

Not only did this not happen historically during the ACW - it homogenizes your units and makes the game less interesting.  

(I'll just toss this cavalry in the line as they fight just the same anyway.)

Rather than make the cavalry more powerful I'd suggest that using the cavalry in their historical role on the flanks and rear of the armies will vastly improve the tactical aspects of your game.  

I'd suggest going the other direction and add more variety (variety is, after all, the spice of life) by making Lee's irregular cavalry brigades less powerful - forcing them into the role they played during the battle - protecting the flanks/getting in position to attack the rear of the enemy.

Imboden's and Jenkins cavalry brigades were both irregular cavalry brigades.  

Lee hated irregular cavalry as they were unreliable/inaccurate in reconnaissance, inept in battle, and useless in screening.  

Just about the only role they excelled in was destruction of telegraph lines, raiding soft targets, gobbling up pickets, and collecting supplies.

See this U.S. Army presentation regarding these irregular cavalry brigades as a reference:

Cavalry is not going to be overpowered at all. Within the limits of the game cavalry is just going to be a bit more useful.

Are you going to fix the bug where both players get a "you have won" message inly a few minutes into the battle?

This cannot be addressed by the patch. It is an issue that can be caused by bad connection between players or different playing versions for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...