Game-Labs Forum

Rules of Engagements on Open Sea and Instances

54 members have voted

1. 1. Is current battle join timers OK for your PvP experience?

• No, they should be shorter
    • No, they should be longer
    • Yes, they are perfectly fine
  2. 2. Should time also affect the reinforcement spawn points?

• No, only location matters as it is right now
    • Yes, time and location would together affect the reinforcements
  3. 3. A threshold for damage to reset the battle timer for the target is,

• not needed. Current system works.
    • definately needed.
  4. 4. Optimal battle join timer would be,

• 1 minute
    • 2 minutes (as right now)
    • 3 minutes
    • 5 minutes
    • 10 minutes
    • Instances should stay open so long, until battle ends

This might be the most modified game mechanic until now and I would like to share some more ideas here. I have seen in different threads similar ideas, and here is my total RoE package for a robust, fun and sustainable PvP environment on the open sea.

The Concept:

The main difference here for the initiation of OS engagements is, that the location is not only factor for determining the allocation of ships in the instance, but also the time itself.

So, basically after the OS attacking, the instance is created. And any ship, outside this first initiation circle, would be joining to the instance as reinforcements. Until this point, it is similar to the current system.

Ro_A.jpg

The reinforcements on the other hand, would be again positional according to their open sea location, but the reinforcements would be relative further away to the engaging ships in the instance. I would like to use here the term cutter minutes, similar to light years, the distance a cutter would cover in one minute. For example, the first joiner would start in that instance 6 cutter minutes away (outer rims of orange circle) from the engaging ships. The reinforcement who joins after one minute of the start of the instance would be 6+1 minutes away (outer rims of green circle); the one who joins after 2 minutes of initiation would start 6+2 minutes away and so on.

As a result, the more late you join a battle, the further away you would spawn from the initial battle location in the instance.

What would this allow for the game?

• The open sea battle instances could stay open for much longer times instead of just 2 minutes, which would increase the dynamism and activity of the open sea and rendering it more lively.
  • This would not end ganks, but if a captain is ganked close to a friendly port, there might be a chance for reinforcements to arrive at the horizon
  • On the other hand, it might also lay the groundwork for a good organized gank, using the positional reinforcement. However, the distance to reinforcement point depending on timer (6 + x minutes) would still give a chance for the ganked captain.
  • No BR limits
  • Smooth transition from open sea to the instance
  • Need and thrill of searching the horizon not only in open sea but also in the instance

Attack Circle and Timer:

The attack circle on open sea could be adjusted. A relative smaller circle and shorter timer, would increase the importance of the open sea positioning and engaging.

Keeping the Target in Battle:

At the current state, if you land a cannonball from 800 yard distance on the sails or hull and inflict some damage, you would reset the battle timer for the target. In most cases, this would result in a very long and boring chasing situation.

The current tagging mechanism also gives opportunity to the griefers. To prevent those, a damage threshold could be applied like the need of inflicting minimum 1% damage to sails (or hull) to be able to reset the battle timer for the target. Similar measures were also taken in PotBS to prevent griefing.

Even in the worst gank scenario, this would give the gankers at least several chances to attack the target for resetting the timer, whereas, the target also keeps its fair chance to be able to run away and click out.

Instance Join Timer for Reinforcements:

The timer for reinforcements could be easily increased in this concept. I would say a time between 5 and 10 minutes might be the optimal point.

Ship Polars:

Minor changes to the directional speed limits should be made according to the gameplay instead of realism here, I think. This means appointing different best speed directions for different ships, so that every ship could overtake others at a specific direction or similar to that.

If we look below graph, Trincomalee curve (orange) is a good example being at some directions more slow and at some directions relative faster.

graph.jpg

In conclusion, I think all those rules together would render the open world much more lively and active place for PvP and RvR compared to the current situation.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Its funny how this pole shows that more people are in favor of a longer battle timer.  Proves my point that your original 2 min battle timer 30 second no attack was a rhetorical question/pole. 

Referring to this pole here:  http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14536-to-gank-or-be-ganked-that-is-the-question/

Isnt it interesting how only 11 voters support the 2 minute timer or shorter, while 20 people support 3 minutes or longer?  Thats almost double the people wanting a longer battle timer.  Isnt that intersting Skully? 

It is the most modified game mechanic, because it's a lousy one.

Think of what we use the open world mode for. Only 3 things spring to mind. To get from A to B, to tag an enemy ship and lastly, to watch the seagulls.

What about making it more engaging to get someone in a battle instance than just a Tag and watching a counter count down? What about making it more engaging to sail into a battle towards a favorable position more based on skill then on sailing in a circle within a certain time span? I can totally imagine joining a battle in a favorable position to get more difficult when time progresses, but impossible to join after x minutes is just sooooo game mechanicy that it takes away from actual immersion.

Just a few thoughts to throw in there, to consider that tweaking a broken engine will still leave you with a pimped piece of garbage.

Its funny how this pole shows that more people are in favor of a longer battle timer.  Proves my point that your original 2 min battle timer 30 second no attack was a rhetorical question/pole. 

Referring to this pole here:  http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14536-to-gank-or-be-ganked-that-is-the-question/

Isnt it interesting how only 11 voters support the 2 minute timer or shorter, while 20 people support 3 minutes or longer?  Thats almost double the people wanting a longer battle timer.  Isnt that intersting Skully? 

It's even funnier how many answer 2 on question #1, yet do not answer 2 minutes on question #4. :)

I'm very curious what you think went wrong here.

Think of what we use the open world mode for. Only 3 things spring to mind. To get from A to B, to tag an enemy ship and lastly, to watch the seagulls.

What about making it more engaging to get someone in a battle instance than just a Tag and watching a counter count down? What about making it more engaging to sail into a battle towards a favorable position more based on skill then on sailing in a circle within a certain time span? I can totally imagine joining a battle in a favorable position to get more difficult when time progresses, but impossible to join after x minutes is just sooooo game mechanicy that it takes away from actual immersion.

Just a few thoughts to throw in there, to consider that tweaking a broken engine will still leave you with a pimped piece of garbage.

You mean an automatic transition into battle instance as soon as the Engagement circle distance ( 25% less radius that it is now ) is reached. This effectively transitions my good wind and attack position without any 30 seconds deflection shield :)

Everything passing or in the area is ported into the instance.Sounds good.

To me it is much more than just getting from A to B, tag a ship and watch seagulls: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14676-pvp1-june-the-british-honduras-campaign-pirate-perspective/

But I put in a lot of hours during that week and "only" saw a couple of good battles. The system doesn't work out too well for a casual player who simply doesn't have the hours to spend. I need to think about this a bit more. To be continued.

As for the mini-tagging game, isn't that all about getting the good position at the final moment? I always keep an eye on wind, position of myself and others. (And still manage to do bad tags. :P )

The part after that, sailing into the right circle, I agree is rubbish. I really liked the positional reinforcements, but we figured out the exploit soon enough. I'm thinking about a new suggestion/topic, which gets rid of the entry timer completely. Will bring it up shortly.